Falling Rock Falls Hike

EASY
Montevallo, AL
true
Falling Rock Falls Hike is a 1.5 mile out and back trail located near Montevallo, AL that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

dog friendly hiking mountain biking horses waterfall rocky
Hide Map

A short hike reveals a hidden treasure... a 90 foot waterfall. Park at the locked gate at the trailhead. Go around the gate and walk up the road. Take the first road to your left (about half a mile from the trailhead). Follow this road and take the first road on your right. Hike about a quarter-mile to a road on your left. This road has large dirt berm across it along with a deep ditch, to keep wheeled vehicles from entering the area. Hike the small trail which leads around the berm and leads down the hill. When you reach the bottom of the hill you will see Eddings Creek and the top of Falling Rock Falls. Be VERY careful in this area as the rocks can be quite slippery and a fall from here could be fatal. If hiking with children, please keep them away from the edge of the falls. There are small trails on both sides of the falls that lead to the bottom of the falls. Once again, exercise extreme caution on these trails. There is a cavern behind the falls which is quite fun to explore.

Levi Harper

1 Completed0 Reviews

My girlfriend and I went for the first time today. We had a blast! Waterfalls were beautiful! The hike isn't bad unless you decide to go down underneath the falls, then it can get a little harder. Great time!

Lizzy Sexton

Garrett Johnson

1 Completed0 Reviews

two amazing waterfalls, really fun to hike

ken segars

1 Completed0 Reviews

Wow. Beautiful waterfall (2 waterfalls). Biked in to the oil/gas pump, listened for the water and hiked through the woods (no trail here), following a trail of trash. Please take a trash bag and some gloves to leave the place better than you find it. The previous review nailed the directions. The app really helped finding the way much easier.

Judy And David H.

Long gravel road, we read about all the trash there and it's true so we took trash bags and filled them up. Somebody needs to care. Once at the falls...it's amazing. Very steep hike from the bigger falls to the smaller falls. Beautiful!!!!! What a gem. Our trash pick up didn't make a dent. Go left on the gravel, then take the first right. It dead ends but the trail is red dirt and it's on the left. Take a trash bag....it appears teenagers etc are partying there. Such a pretty place.

Steve Wood

4 Completed1 Reviews

My 1st time using the app. So glad I did! Never knew about this place. Directions were spot on. Nice hike down to the falls which was flowing. Made my way to the 2nd waterfall as well. I'll definitely go back with my son. He'll love it. Can't wait for my next hike.

Dawn Trammell

1 Completed1 Reviews

Went today with my son and the dog. Map took us right to it but got turned around a couple of times once we started walking. We parked outside the white gate and followed the map on the app. Look for the trail on the left that will take you to the falls. Cant believe I have lived here for 13 years and never knew this was here until I saw it on the app. Absolutely beautiful and the trail down to the bottom of the falls was fairly easy. Wish people would pick up their trash....kinda ruins it but unfortunately most places are like that nowadays. Saw a lot of broken glass so be careful if you take your dog. She enjoyed it too though. Will definitely go back and explore other trails.

Vickie Scott

2 Completed2 Reviews

Difficult to find, no markings. Waterfall was nice but had to be careful with area

Morgan Luger

3 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful hike

Allan Wilson

1 Completed1 Reviews

Easy and fun hike. It was dry today so no waterfall but will go back after rain to see fall.

Tiffany Jenkins

1 Completed1 Reviews

I had a really great time finding this place, and spending the day there with my boyfriend. We took some pretty sweet pictures and also found out some pretty cool history about the place. Planning on going back to explore some more.

Alison Comardelle

5 Completed1 Reviews

First time on the trail! Directions took us straight to the falls. What a pleasant surprise! Due to recent rain it was beautiful. We trekked down and went behind the falls. Honestly, going down took more concentration than going up. 5 miles total. I'll be back!!

Ds Penrod

Very nice hike.
I explored all five of the trails, it came to a bit over 5 miles.
The waterfall was flowing nicely due to recent rains.

Lynn Dickey

7 Completed1 Reviews

Short hike, only steep if you visit the bottom of the waterfall -- if you don't mind veering off the trail, there's a second waterfall nearby.

Tony Higgins

2 Completed2 Reviews

I did a 3 mile out and back. Was a great hike, only wish you could to the bottom to see the falls better, but over all was very nice. By a map it looks like a lot more trails to follow, will try to go farther next time to had to the milage count.

David reimers

3 Completed3 Reviews

short hike with spectacular views and waterfall. be very careful on the rocks as they are very slick at times and have led to several people falling to their death in the past decades

James Isbell

6 Completed1 Reviews

Amazing waterfall a must see. There are three waterfalls in the area.

Mike H.

Back again and another great hike!! Did a bunch of exploring. With the foliage down we were able to better appreciate the size of the area. We even found another small fall feeding in down stream. Everyone had a blast!!

Michael Sanders

1 Completed2 Reviews

It was a good but hot hike because of the lack of trees until you get to the falls. Once on the trail the first turn is more like a fork

Liz J.

Hard to find, we had to stop at the local store and ask about the trail head. We started about 930am and the hike out wasn't so bad. Nice gravel road, but little shade, by the time we were headed back a hour later the heat was horrible. It was worth it. The falls were small due to the time of year, but the landscape around them was till worth it. Wish someone would post a no littering sign or something, campers trash around the falls was pretty sad.