Sipsey River Trail

#1 of 6 trails in Black Warrior Wildlife Management Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Sipsey River Trail is a 12.8 mile out and back trail located near Double Springs, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Mike Thompson (1219)

29 Completed26 Reviews

Jim Stack (255)

5 Completed5 Reviews

Did 2 night trip down 206 to sipsey river trail this weekend. Missed eye of the needle on accident and did not have time to go to big tree. Even missing those the entire area was beautiful and near the end of the trip Fall Creek Falls made an already awsome trip even better.
Lots of traffic on weekend and campsites could be a small issue. Also be aware there are many obstacles here to navigate. All were manageable though with a little thought.

Wendy Randall (422)

21 Completed10 Reviews

My most favorite place to hike in all of the US. The Sipsey is almost magical once you get off-trail :)

Glen Yeatman (87)

1 Completed1 Reviews

We done this trail today and it was awesome, lots of beautiful scenery. All around its a great trail.

Mary Woodis (632)

16 Completed17 Reviews

The Sipsey River Trail is beautiful, scenic, and get's you away from it all in a hurry! Just my kind of trail... There are beautiful waterfalls, big mossy boulders, tons of ferns, and of course, the Sipsey River on your left. The bluffs and box canyons give you plenty of opportunities for exploration. There are gorgeous camping sites scattered along the length of the trail for overnighters.

Zeb Akers (109)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked this trail as part of a 14 mile overnight loop hike. Incredible scenery, overall amazing trail and wilderness

Ashleigh Mertle (127)

0 Completed1 Reviews

My Husband, BestFriend, and I went to the trail one day to take some photos. It was a amazing hike and it was so beautiful!!! we had so much fun we just didnt pick the most perfect day to go since it started raining on us but it def a must do and will most likely do it again!! :))

William Keith (145)

0 Completed2 Reviews

I did an overnight backpacking trip to the Sipsey Wilderness this weekend. I started on the Trail 206 at Thompson Trailhead and hiked over to the Sipsey River Trail to the point that it connects to the East Bee Branch Trail (not an official Forest Service Trail). This was a distance of some 6 miles. The next morning I hiked up the East Bee Branch Trail to the terminus at the Box Canyon where the Big Tree (largest Tulip Poplar in Alabama) exists. That trail was tough with a backpack because of all the deadfall on the trail.

I then hiked back to the Sipsey River Trail and then out 206 to the truck. The Sipsey River Trail and 206 were in excellent shape and easy to follow. A lot of campsites are along the river and many were full as I was leaving on Saturday. The further down the Sipsey River Trail the more vacant campsites you will find. The campsite I used at the East Bee Branch Trail was large and very scenic.

If you are going to the Big Tree with a backpack like I did then take it slow and easy because climbing over and under the deadfall can get a little dicey if you are not graceful like me.

Support