Airport Loop

#18 of 204 trails in coconino national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Airport Loop is a 3.5 mile loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ap Harris (219)

8 Completed7 Reviews

I truly enjoyed this trail. I hiked it on my second day of hiking and the views were amazing.

Nadia Skye (93)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Personally I like a hike that gets you out of society and into nature. You will always hear evidence of human activity no matter where on the loop you are. That being said, it is an EXCELLENT way to see Sedona if you're new in town or visiting. I would highly recommend bringing a map of the town so you can gather your bearings from each spot on the trail (look for the highways 89 and 179 and you'll start to be able to point out everything else). For me, it wasn't the kind of "get outside and get your blood pumping" kind of hike that I look for. That's not to say it's easy, definitely bring enough water and expect to scuffle over some rocks. But it was good to do once, just for the views if nothing else. As for the first overlook rock off of the main trailhead, I'll probably be spending plenty of time there in the future. It's supposedly a vortex site but wow you can tell why when you're up there. It's surreal and stunning and you really just have to do that one for yourself I can't explain it much better. Although that's somewhere just about anyone could get to, not really a hiking spot, just a 5 minute scramble up some rocks from the parking lot. I did hike there though because I started the loop from the sunset trailhead off of, well, Sunset Dr. It's a lot quieter over there and a decent 30 minute hike to the vortex rock from there. Good spot, I think.

Amanda St.John (73)

1 Completed1 Reviews

We had a great time on a beautiful trail. I agree with one review - it's an excellent trail for a first trimmer to hiking. Beautiful views!!!!

Lynda Chekay (3159)

97 Completed141 Reviews

Took the hike to the Overlook Point. It is a steep but short climb and worth the effort. Take a moment to feel the energy!!

John Mayers (68)

5 Completed1 Reviews

great starting trail for any first time visitor to Sedona

Lee Hollingsworth (2190)

88 Completed54 Reviews

The 12 car parking lot (no fee) and trailhead to the Airport Loop is at the base to the Airport vortex; which I went to visit so my 'hike' was short. There are a couple of very exposed, fairly flat trails that begin at this trailhead. The vortex is located at "Overlook Point" and is easily seen since there are generally groups of people atop the rock. Follow the cairns for the easiest way up and down and enjoy the view.

Connie Stanford (309)

9 Completed3 Reviews

This is not a complete review... Just a timely update. Heavy rains in the last days have changed the trail on the east side of the mesa, especially. Some minor rock slides, deposits of debris, and run-off of the trail iteslf make it a little less friendly for the sneakered tourist. Still a nice challenge for the moderate walk/hiker. Jumping the guardrail at the start, and doing the loop counterclockwise makes for a better cardio, IMHO...

Michaela Yelle (233)

8 Completed5 Reviews

Beautiful scenery and not too demanding of a hike.

Support