Fatmans Loop Trail

Flagstaff, AZ
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Fatmans Loop Trail is a 2 mile loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running & walking and is accessible from April until November.

Directions from Flagstaff: Follow Santa Fe Avenue past the entrance to the Flagstaff Mall and the Peaks Ranger District Office to a trailhead parking lot just off the north side of the street.

Arizona Office of Tourism, 2702 N. 3rd St., Suite 4015 , Phoenix, AZ, 85004, Phone: 888-520-3434, Fax: 602-240-5432, mfioritt@pni.com

Rébecca Marie

4 Completed 2 Reviews

1 hour hike/running. Beautiful view. Great for a quick exercise in nature to relieve stress.

Heather Dimitro

23 Completed 2 Reviews

Beautiful 1 hour hike just minutes from downtown Flagstaff. I would say it is a cross between Jud Weibe trail in Telluride and Camelback mountain in Phoenix. It is definitely an easy moderate hike.

1 Completed 2 Reviews

After reading the reviews, nothing more to add..I second everyone else! . A great option for local, moderate hike, if you only have an hour or two to go out. Me and James needed a "nature break" and we chose the closest and shortest option. We went December 1, and a few snowy patches added to the beauty.

I would recommend this trail if you don't have a full day to dedicate to hiking... It's a quick and easy escape.

1 Completed 2 Reviews

After reading the reviews, nothing more to add... A great option for local, moderate hike, if you only have an hour or two to go out. Me and James needed a "nature break" and we chose the closest and shortest option. We went December 1, and a few snowy patches added to the beauty.

8 Completed 2 Reviews

Fun trail with some great views of Flagstaff. The biggest drawback to this trail is you can very clearly hear the traffic from the highway below. All in all it's a relatively easy trail but for the balance and vertically challenged (like me) there are some tricky spots where having the right shoes makes a world of difference.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

we got there later in the evening (4) and completed this hike within 1.5hours. I wish i would have read the reviews because having bad knees made the right to left loop walk after the halfway a bit stenuous because of the decline and the rocks going down. Besides that i loved this loop its perfect for one of those short on time days where you wanna get a nice little hike in. Heavy traffic but worth the stop. Next time there i will be going left to right instead.

Icon_

87 Completed 84 Reviews

Very scenic and well-maintained trail. While there are a few points where the trail is a bit rocky or has exposed roots, it barely merits a "moderate" rating. If I hadn't been there with my dog - who is getting up there in age - I would have made the climb to Mt. Elden Lookout. Next time!

Icon_

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Very easy hike. Less than an hour to complete the loop, steady upgrade with a few steps throughout. Great views to the south about halfway through. Connects to a number of other trails on the mountain. Traffic was quiet for mid morning. Good for jogging, dogs, and small children. As with any Arizona hike, water is crucial, especially during the summer. Pack it in, pack it out.

Icon_817818f37be87ad4aad61c6cc1ec02b0

32 Completed 9 Reviews

A great hike if you are looking to stay in town and get a little sweat on your brow. I like to run it, but it is a good hike as well. Good views, and very hard to keep myself from going all the way up! Beware of the weekend crowds, get there early or risk not getting a parking spot.

4 Completed 1 Reviews

This was the perfect hike to introduce our 3-year-old to the Mt. Elden trail system. We took it slow, letting his little legs dictate the pace and everyone had fun. Even after a stumble and skinned knee our little guy is looking forward to our next hiking adventure. It doesn't hurt that the trailhead is practically in our backyard.

Great trail for all levels. Could be done in an hour or so, but with a little one plan on closer to two.

Support