Ford Canyon Trail

#2 of 11 trails in Whitetank Mountain Regional Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Ford Canyon Trail is a 7.4 mile out and back trail located near Waddell, Arizona that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Kyle McDowell (322)

9 Completed8 Reviews

Great trail with awesome views of the valley.

Daniel Riley (6933)

117 Completed110 Reviews

Ford Canyon is a beautiful trail. There's an abandoned dam along the trail, although it looks more like a retaining wall (I added a photo of it). I saw plenty of birds and lizards, but only one other person. What a great day for a trail run!

Pay attention to the signs, because the trail goes through a wash, and it's easy to make a mistake and miss the turn-off from the wash on the way back down. I missed the sign on the way back and ended up descending far down into the wash before reaching a sheer drop. I managed to make my way back up to the trail and then realized the sign pointing me in the right direction had tipped over. I righted it and made my way back down the trail.

Jeff Klein (129)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Decent distance and the trail was at moderate to aggressive level for exertion. Was not with my full pack by had 12-14 pounds in my light pack (food/water). Very low crowds and was cool early on then just became beautiful!

Jon Poblador (516)

7 Completed3 Reviews

it's a good trail, although I would not consider it "strenuous". I added the Willow Canyon Trail to it to make a loop. Nice and isolated early on a Saturday morning but the connecting trail had a lot of people on it.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but there is a $6 fee, per car, to enter the park.

Larry Ayala (9384)

77 Completed76 Reviews

Just a beautiful day out. a little chilly in the morning but you warm up fast once you started. I started out at Mesquite Canyon trailhead and worked my way to Ford Canyon trail and made a loop of it. there were a few small groups out on the trail but over all not to busy.

Jennifer Palomares (82)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Scott Saxman (172)

6 Completed4 Reviews

Ford is the most beautiful trail in the white tanks with amazing views. The first three miles are flat to rolling. Then the trail becomes a shelf trail for over a mile and requires basic routing skills. Ford then dumps into a wash and climbs up through several white rock tanks until you reach an abandoned dam. A little further up the wash you climb up to a ridge and back down to Willow, Mesquite and Goat Camp. Take water and sense of adventure. I prefer hiking down this trail when the weather is warm. Have seem mountain lion tracks in the wash several times. Combine with Goat Camp and connectors to make a tough loop!

Support