Ford Canyon Trail

#2 of 11 trails in Whitetank Mountain Regional Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Ford Canyon Trail is a 7.4 mile out and back trail located near Waddell, Arizona that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs must be kept on leash.

Ford Canyon is a 7.4 mile out and back but, it can be completed as a loop in conjunction with either Mesquite Canyon, Willow Canyon or Waddell Trails.

From central Phoenix, take I -10 west 18 miles to Hwy 303. North on Hwy 303 to Olive. West 4 miles on Olive to the White Tank Mountain Regional Park entrance.

The Ford Canyon Trail Head is located at the Trail Head Staging Area on Wildlife Way.

Ford Canyon can also be accessed from a trail head at the Northern most part of Ford Canyon Road. Entering from this point cuts roughly 1.5 miles off the trail and gets you much closer to the more difficult section of Ford Canyon.

Ample parking can be found at either trail head.

White Tank Mountain Regional Park
20304 W. White Tank Mountain Road
Waddell, AZ 85355 mailing address
Ph: 623-935-2505 Fax: 623-535-4291
whitetankpark@mail.maricopa.gov

Icon_93153a0260efbab68bc69c71f68ae0b5

9 Completed 8 Reviews

Great trail with awesome views of the valley.

108 Completed 103 Reviews

Ford Canyon is a beautiful trail. There's an abandoned dam along the trail, although it looks more like a retaining wall (I added a photo of it). I saw plenty of birds and lizards, but only one other person. What a great day for a trail run!

Pay attention to the signs, because the trail goes through a wash, and it's easy to make a mistake and miss the turn-off from the wash on the way back down. I missed the sign on the way back and ended up descending far down into the wash before reaching a sheer drop. I managed to make my way back up to the trail and then realized the sign pointing me in the right direction had tipped over. I righted it and made my way back down the trail.

4 Completed 4 Reviews

Decent distance and the trail was at moderate to aggressive level for exertion. Was not with my full pack by had 12-14 pounds in my light pack (food/water). Very low crowds and was cool early on then just became beautiful!

Picture?width=50&height=50

7 Completed 3 Reviews

it's a good trail, although I would not consider it "strenuous". I added the Willow Canyon Trail to it to make a loop. Nice and isolated early on a Saturday morning but the connecting trail had a lot of people on it.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but there is a $6 fee, per car, to enter the park.

77 Completed 76 Reviews

Just a beautiful day out. a little chilly in the morning but you warm up fast once you started. I started out at Mesquite Canyon trailhead and worked my way to Ford Canyon trail and made a loop of it. there were a few small groups out on the trail but over all not to busy.

Picture?width=50&height=50

3 Completed 1 Reviews

Person_placeholder

6 Completed 4 Reviews

Ford is the most beautiful trail in the white tanks with amazing views. The first three miles are flat to rolling. Then the trail becomes a shelf trail for over a mile and requires basic routing skills. Ford then dumps into a wash and climbs up through several white rock tanks until you reach an abandoned dam. A little further up the wash you climb up to a ridge and back down to Willow, Mesquite and Goat Camp. Take water and sense of adventure. I prefer hiking down this trail when the weather is warm. Have seem mountain lion tracks in the wash several times. Combine with Goat Camp and connectors to make a tough loop!

Support