Ford Canyon Trail

MODERATE
#2 of 11 trails in Whitetank Mountain Regional Park
l>
Ford Canyon Trail is a 9.8 mile out and back trail located near Waddell, AZ that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from February until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash hiking mountain biking trail running walking horses river rocky views waterfall
Hide Map

Ford Canyon is a 7.4 mile out and back but, it can be completed as a loop in conjunction with either Mesquite Canyon, Willow Canyon or Waddell Trails.

Michael Fink

1 Completed1 Reviews

Long. But fun. Took mesquite to add some more. Took about 5 hours from start to finish.

Debbie Daniello

2 Completed2 Reviews

Gorgeous Trail, Started out flat and easy for the first 3 miles or so. A bit rugged after that. Beautiful whitewashed boulders and red rocks near the abandoned Dam. Not a bad hike at all.

I saw a lot of birds, a tarantula, Lizards, tracks I couldn't make out and a SKUNK (:

I suggest gloves for tender hands to grab on to the rocks in certain spots. Good hiking shoes, plenty of water and Snacks.

Anna Stull

3 Completed3 Reviews

Nicholas Keen-Lombardo

2 Completed2 Reviews

Absolutely beautiful hike.
I started at Area 9 parking and jumped on the Ford Canyon Trail. It started out flat and steady through the desert and slowly brought you into the mountains. You end up in the bottoms of the Ford Canyon on slabs of huge white rock.

The wildlife is great. I've seen deer, tarantulas, lizards, many birds, and some cougar tracks.

About 6 miles into the Ford Canyon Trail I jumped onto Willow Canyon Trail (not as exciting) and continued into the Mesquite Trail to bring me back to parking.

This ended up being a great 9 mile loop. It took about 4.5 hours and 2 of us drank 4 liters of water.

BRING WATER AND SNACKS

Marino U.

The trail is nice, very scenic but careful you don't miss any signs, I'm not sure but a lot of the signs were either in the ground or way off.

Wendy C.

We started on Mesquite and then did the Ford Canyon Trail. We saw mountain lion tracks near the abandoned dam by some water puddles. This was a beautiful hike that took several hours. Bring plenty of water and snacks if you decide to do this hike.

Kyle McDowell

9 Completed8 Reviews

Great trail with awesome views of the valley.

Daniel Riley

158 Completed145 Reviews

Ford Canyon is a beautiful trail. There's an abandoned dam along the trail, although it looks more like a retaining wall (I added a photo of it). I saw plenty of birds and lizards, but only one other person. What a great day for a trail run!

Pay attention to the signs, because the trail goes through a wash, and it's easy to make a mistake and miss the turn-off from the wash on the way back down. I missed the sign on the way back and ended up descending far down into the wash before reaching a sheer drop. I managed to make my way back up to the trail and then realized the sign pointing me in the right direction had tipped over. I righted it and made my way back down the trail.