Ford Canyon Trail

#2 of 11 trails in Whitetank Mountain Regional Park
Ford Canyon Trail is a 7.4 mile out and back trail located near Waddell, Arizona that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs must be kept on leash.

7.4 miles Out & Back 1425 feet
Dog Friendly
hiking mountain biking horses dogs leash river rocky
Hide Map

Ford Canyon is a 7.4 mile out and back but, it can be completed as a loop in conjunction with either Mesquite Canyon, Willow Canyon or Waddell Trails.

Jen Davidson

3 Completed3 Reviews

Nicholas Keen-Lombardo

2 Completed2 Reviews

Absolutely beautiful hike.
I started at Area 9 parking and jumped on the Ford Canyon Trail. It started out flat and steady through the desert and slowly brought you into the mountains. You end up in the bottoms of the Ford Canyon on slabs of huge white rock.

The wildlife is great. I've seen deer, tarantulas, lizards, many birds, and some cougar tracks.

About 6 miles into the Ford Canyon Trail I jumped onto Willow Canyon Trail (not as exciting) and continued into the Mesquite Trail to bring me back to parking.

This ended up being a great 9 mile loop. It took about 4.5 hours and 2 of us drank 4 liters of water.

Marino U.

The trail is nice, very scenic but careful you don't miss any signs, I'm not sure but a lot of the signs were either in the ground or way off.

Wendy C.

We started on Mesquite and then did the Ford Canyon Trail. We saw mountain lion tracks near the abandoned dam by some water puddles. This was a beautiful hike that took several hours. Bring plenty of water and snacks if you decide to do this hike.

Kyle McDowell

9 Completed8 Reviews

Great trail with awesome views of the valley.

Daniel Riley

151 Completed144 Reviews

Ford Canyon is a beautiful trail. There's an abandoned dam along the trail, although it looks more like a retaining wall (I added a photo of it). I saw plenty of birds and lizards, but only one other person. What a great day for a trail run!

Pay attention to the signs, because the trail goes through a wash, and it's easy to make a mistake and miss the turn-off from the wash on the way back down. I missed the sign on the way back and ended up descending far down into the wash before reaching a sheer drop. I managed to make my way back up to the trail and then realized the sign pointing me in the right direction had tipped over. I righted it and made my way back down the trail.

Jeff Klein

4 Completed4 Reviews

Decent distance and the trail was at moderate to aggressive level for exertion. Was not with my full pack by had 12-14 pounds in my light pack (food/water). Very low crowds and was cool early on then just became beautiful!

Jon Poblador

7 Completed3 Reviews

it's a good trail, although I would not consider it "strenuous". I added the Willow Canyon Trail to it to make a loop. Nice and isolated early on a Saturday morning but the connecting trail had a lot of people on it.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but there is a $6 fee, per car, to enter the park.

Widowmaker and Rowdy

81 Completed78 Reviews

Just a beautiful day out. a little chilly in the morning but you warm up fast once you started. I started out at Mesquite Canyon trailhead and worked my way to Ford Canyon trail and made a loop of it. there were a few small groups out on the trail but over all not to busy.

Jennifer Palomares