Lost Dog Wash Trail

#1 of 12 trails in McDowell Mountain Regional Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Lost Dog Wash Trail is a 6 mile trail located in the McDowell Mountains Scottsdale Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for birding, hiking, trail running & walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Kimberley A (49)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I arrived at McDowell around 6PM and was hoping to hike through the evening until 3-4AM, however the hours posted at the trailhead were sunrise-sunset. So my planned route was certainly not going to work. I ended up hiking something similar to Lost Dog Wash Loop so that I would be out on time. Beautiful views most of the hike. Maps & trash cans provided at the trailhead.
From the 124th St trailhead I went East to AS1, then onto Ringtail until it met with Old Jeep. At the end of Old Jeep Trail I took Lost Dog to the Taliesin Overlook, then on the way back took Lost Dog Wash through to SR19 with the little 800m cut through to Anasazi Spur. It ended up being a little 6.1 mile loop instead of the regular Lost Dog Wash Loop of 5.4 (including Taliesin).

Melissa Bills (196)

11 Completed11 Reviews

Beautiful hike. The switch backs were quite a challenge for me I didn't go to the end but it was just another 5 minutes because I saw my friend and headed back. It was just as much a challenge going down especially because her friend is a hard core hiker with much longer legs than me...lol!!

Jorge Calle (36)

tom simensen (69)

6 Completed3 Reviews

Scenic in places, but with a lack of elevation change, somewhat boring - seemed more like a walk thru the desert. Lots of small rocks also made the footing difficult in many places.

DogWithShoes (Barkley Hoops) (267)

12 Completed9 Reviews

More of a nature walk than a hike. A couple steep climbs and gradual dips, but nothing too large. You basically stay near the base of the mountain, not up it. There is not much shade so this is definitely an early morning hike. Well maintained and there are bathroom facilities. This is a great option for beginner hikers or families with kids or older generations.

Aaron Bush (161)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is a great hike early in the morning. The trails are well maintained and plenty of hills. Grab a map at the beginning if you want to get a long hike out of it.

Val Higgins (434)

12 Completed10 Reviews

oliver k (116)

3 Completed3 Reviews

As mentioned, lost dog is not a loop but easily turned into one. The facility was clean and it was very nice that they provided maps to help navigate -not saying the trail signs aren't helpful (very much so) but based that lost dog was not a loop it helped me plan my ride into one. Will definitely return and ride again.

Melissa Kattau (480)

6 Completed4 Reviews

This is a beautiful trail. Clean, easy to read and find signs. I bought my 70 year old father here during his visit and he had a blast. There is great parking and well kept trailhead with bathrooms.

Bryan Foli (87)

2 Completed2 Reviews

I'm still really new to hiking and have just moved to Phoenix so I'm trying to find some good trails for when my family moves down. This trail was okay. Not too much to see, but was easy enough for the kids I think. I made the mistake of starting the hike around 1:00 pm on April 11. It was only about 90 degrees out, but there is very little shade so I will go either in the early morning or late evening next time. Good trail to learn on and get conditioned on.

Support