Lost Dog Wash Trail

#1 of 12 trails in McDowell Mountain Regional Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Lost Dog Wash Trail is a 6 mile trail located in the McDowell Mountains Scottsdale Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for birding, hiking, trail running & walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Val Higgins (245)

9 Completed9 Reviews

oliver k (116)

3 Completed3 Reviews

As mentioned, lost dog is not a loop but easily turned into one. The facility was clean and it was very nice that they provided maps to help navigate -not saying the trail signs aren't helpful (very much so) but based that lost dog was not a loop it helped me plan my ride into one. Will definitely return and ride again.

Melissa Kattau (480)

6 Completed4 Reviews

This is a beautiful trail. Clean, easy to read and find signs. I bought my 70 year old father here during his visit and he had a blast. There is great parking and well kept trailhead with bathrooms.

Bryan Foli (87)

2 Completed2 Reviews

I'm still really new to hiking and have just moved to Phoenix so I'm trying to find some good trails for when my family moves down. This trail was okay. Not too much to see, but was easy enough for the kids I think. I made the mistake of starting the hike around 1:00 pm on April 11. It was only about 90 degrees out, but there is very little shade so I will go either in the early morning or late evening next time. Good trail to learn on and get conditioned on.

Phil Hoffmann (122)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Great easy trail!!

Zachariah Hartgrove (224)

19 Completed7 Reviews

Not a bad trail to take children on (except for the stupid fools on MTN bikes that think they own the trail) took my 2year old and dog up to the the overlook, easy well maintained trail, great signage to mark the trail, I recommend this trail as a family friendly trail.

Misti Owens (75)

9 Completed3 Reviews

Decent trail that is easy to follow. Watch out for rattlesnakes though - we heard them just after the second cutoff about a mile from trailhead.

Mario Hernandez (137)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Great hike with great weather. I am so glad there was a nice cool breeze. I would of given it a lower rating if it was summer. There is no shade. Great views and signs everywhere to make sure you don't get lost.

Andrea Jackson (179)

9 Completed4 Reviews

What I like about this trail the most is how it's not the "hot spot" like camelback etc. It has its share of nice views especially from the Taliesin overlook and Sunrise. Ringtail heading NE then back around had a little more of a climb to it compared to starting on Lost Dog Wash. Jeep trail part was also nice. All around a great area to explore just to get out of the city :)

Jonathan Powell (244)

19 Completed4 Reviews

It's an easy trail. As many jar already mentioned the actual lost dog wash trail is not a loop. If you want to do the loop that this map shows then you must use the old jeep trail I complete the loop. Also if you follow this map it will not take you to the look out, but this is easy I find due to the great signs along the trail. Please be advised the gate doesn't open until sunrise.

Support