Rim Trail

#9 of 77 trails in Grand Canyon National Park
Rim Trail is a 18 mile out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October.

18.0 miles Out & Back
hiking views
Hide Map

Directions from South Entrance Station: Follow South Entrance Road northward to a junction with East Rim Drive. Bear left at this junction and drive .5 miles to Mather Point.

Meredith Shirrell

12 Completed12 Reviews

Great trail giving spectacular views! Very little incline and well-paved for the majority of the trail, with the exception being the west side of the rim. We parked in the Visitor's Center lot, hiked about 9 miles 'til Hermit's Rest and caught the bus back. If you got there early enough, you could probably do the full 18 in a single day without a problem. The west side of the trail was my favorite, as it was less busy and we saw three elk!

Leslie Wong

19 Completed19 Reviews

I walked a few sections of this trail and it was all very easy. Nice wide path with great views of the Canyon throughout. Visitors can bike along it too.

laura simpkins

12 Completed6 Reviews

Easy walk along the rim. Parts near main village are handicap accessible and have interpretive markers for geology.

Annette Smith

6 Completed5 Reviews

Very easy walk along the rim of the canyon. Can do half a mile or 10 miles and catch a bus back from several points.

Jeremy Zilkie

34 Completed30 Reviews

Dallin Wellington

31 Completed1 Reviews

I took this trail from the Visitor's Center to get to Bright Angel Trailhead (~2.5 miles one-way). Very nice views, but extremely crowded during the afternoon. When I started (around 9 A.M.) there were periods on the way over to Bright Angel that I had the trail to myself, but on the way back (around 1 P.M.) it was packed pretty much the entire length of the trail.

Taylor Farr

24 Completed24 Reviews

Jeremy Haines

29 Completed21 Reviews

Awesome views as you would expect. Easy trail, which means lots of people. And plenty of rude people. But other than that any hike is a good hike and the grand canyon never disappoints.

Andrew Walck

31 Completed23 Reviews

Great trail . Well worth the five stars , but at peak season, it almost feels like your in New York City with the amount of people screaming and pushing by .

Lee Wingo

45 Completed36 Reviews

We hiked about 6 miles of the rim trail in early march. We did the hermits rest route. You can hop on a trolley if you get tired or are ready to see a different perspective which is what we did.