Soldier Pass Trail

#12 of 204 trails in coconino national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Soldier Pass Trail is a 2.0 mile point-to-point trail located near Sedona, Arizona that treks through a cypress-pinon-juniper forest and offers the chance to see wildlife. Good for all skill levels. Accessible year-round. Dogs are able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Katrina Wright (274)

14 Completed10 Reviews

Jack Tatsch (28747)

344 Completed344 Reviews

Nice trail! The most difficult obstacle is the rocks piled up at the start. We started early, and didn't see another 4X4 until we start back out.

Cody Williams (301)

21 Completed3 Reviews

IPHONE USERS! The direction send you to Soldiers Pass road... Turn down Soldiers pass for 1.5 miles and then turn right on Rim Shadows, parking is just down the road to the left.

Great trail! I did it on my unicycle and it was a great downhill at the end with lots of views :)

Rhonda McMacken (51)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Very nice trail. If one wants to go to the Arches you need to watch out for a blocked trail to the right, before you hike another 2 miles like we did!

Fish God (221)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Looped this trail with Brins Mesa. Beautiful trail, generally easily followed although a little confusing lower down. Great sink hole, red rock views, and "sacred pools". The off-road activity lower down also distracting at times but a nice hike never the less.

David Vielhauer (198)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Excellent off-road trail, not very long. Have a stock FJ Cruiser 2013 trail team edition. No problem in 4L and atrac. I was nervous going up to sinkhole climbing the stairs but FJ did great. Watch out for all the Jeep tours. Some nice hiking trails too!!!!

David Vielhauer (198)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Lee Hollingsworth (2190)

88 Completed54 Reviews

We hiked Soldier Pass as part of a Loop which included Jordan and a section of Brins Mesa. For me, Soldier Pass was the more scenic and prettier trail of the three.There is an amazing sinkhole on this trail. The waterways that run along this trail were dry and made me wonder what this trail is like when there is water running. It must look amazing. We found a very large paw print in the dried mud that was as big as my palm. My print guide led me to believe it to be that of a mountain lion/puma. A portion of this trail is near an off road vehicle path. I would go on this trail again and again.

Erik Finsrud (387)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Wildlife, breathtaking views, and a decent length and elevation hike make for a great visceral and physical experience.

Stephen Kadar (329)

9 Completed7 Reviews

Slightly challenging off-road experience for a new driver. Scared all my passangers out of the vehicle on the last obstacle before the sinkhole. The short length and time commitment with excellent sites make this a must do off road trip.

Support