Telegraph Pass Trail And Kiwanis Trail

#4 of 22 trails in South Mountain Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Easily accessible, short, in-town hike. Popular for joggers and dog-walkers. Short enough to be great for kids, but still offers rewarding views of metro Phoenix.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Martha Carter (346)

4 Completed3 Reviews

First time hiking this trail today. It was fairly crowded with lots of little kids. The trail is rocky and strep and points. My Fitbit tells me I climbed 35 floors, so if is a good workout. To much for me. I only went up about 2/3 of the way. I'm a beginner. :) The desert classic trail breaks off from this trail for a flat walk. Not sure I will try again. A bit crowded for my taste.

Zachariah Hartgrove (224)

19 Completed7 Reviews

Chose to do this hike on a Sunday around noon, wasn't a bad day weather wise, hiked up telegraph pass trail to the top and decided to take the National trail east, round trip in hiking was 10 miles, Telegraph canyon was kinda busy, but once on top you saw very few other hikers, canyon is a bit of a climb with lots of stairs built in but does have great view of the south valley,

David Baratta (60)

Zitlaly Cristerna (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Started at 8:30 and it was already hot. Very easy trail. Light steps. Not a great view. Good for jogging.

Janette McKinnon (61)

5 Completed1 Reviews

My friend and I just hit the trail on a whim this morning. We were on the trail by 8am so it wasn't too hot yet. Great hike for a quick work out. Trail was a bit busy but the higher we were the less people there was. Just started using this app and am loving it. I relish finding new places to try, can't wait to find new and interesting places. Shoes with good traction are a must on this trail.

Rob Leetz (687)

27 Completed15 Reviews

My wife and I hit Telegraph Pass today midday. Not being from Arizona, it was hot, but it didn't seem to stop anyone. The lot was half full and we ran into a family from Philly. This was an easy to moderate hike, and we saw lots of families on their way down with children between 6-10 years. The trail was in great shape and the cacti had began blooming. It was a great first impression of the trails in and around Phoenix and we can't wait to come back with our young one. Not much wildlife other than lots of little (and one big) lizards.

Bobby Masseur (46)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I enjoy this trail a lot. Not too far from where I live. It's not a long hike but it's a great workout. If u push yourself u can really feel the workout. Not usually crowded and everyone I come across is always friendly. I definitely recommend this trail to all.

Mike Fasci (489)

6 Completed14 Reviews

Went on Thursday, moderate crowds. good views. 1 1/2 miles on telegraph pass and 1 mile on Kiwanis. 5 mile round trip, GPS says a little farther not the 3 1/2 stated. good work out. lots of steps, trail in good condition.

Kody Weaver (85)

0 Completed1 Reviews

too many people on this trail

Cheryl Sosnowski (134)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Like the others, I'm not sure why this is rated easy? The climb up is pretty steep! One of my favorite hikes to get a good quick workout in. When you get to the bench, keep walking up to the stone hut thing for a great view. The trail up from there leads to national trail where you will be greeted by amazing views of Phoenix and there is hardly anyone up there. You can also choose to hike down the backside via pyramid trail for a longer work out. I love telegraph for trail running as well - lots of fun.

Support