Tom's Thumb Trail

#2 of 207 trails in Tonto National Forest
Tom's Thumb Trail is a 6.3 mile out and back trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.3 miles Out & Back 1075 feet
Dog Friendly
hiking dogs leash views wild flowers
Hide Map

Lisa W.

Great hike though easy may be a bit of a stretch. Easy to medium. There's some pretty decent switchbacks. Great hike for dogs!

K K.

7 Completed7 Reviews

Great hike! It's about an hour away from the city but well worth it. The rock formations are some of the best around.

Liz Moore

11 Completed1 Reviews

Fantastic trail. Easy but the views are outstanding. Caution if considering going if rain expected parts of the trail get slick very fast. From this trail there are a number of different paths you can take. I've seen some amazing wildlife while hiking this one. Also was able to take the rock climbing route off this trail to get a little more of a challenge. Family friendly :)

Kenneth Mwangi

1 Completed1 Reviews

The view, the view wow!

Travis Lambert

2 Completed2 Reviews

Randy Durston

4 Completed2 Reviews

Just go hike it. The 6.1 trek is worth it. If been here in Phoenix for 2 years. This is still one of my favorite hikes. The view up there is unbelievable.

Connor England

10 Completed7 Reviews

A little under 5 miles round trip. Moderate difficulty. Fun hike with a gorgeous view from the top and hundreds of rocks to climb on. Maps provided at the bottom near the bathrooms. The trail was well marked and also showed directions for the other many hiking routes in the area. Plenty of gorgeous desert plants to enjoy. Not much shade until the top. The route had some steep inclines for half the hike, and half was fairly flat. It looked like there were many rock climbing routes, trad and sport, which were all marked fairly well on the signs. I would do this, or neighboring trails again.

Taylor Palmer

1 Completed1 Reviews

Loved this hike! As a reviewer said below, it's between 4-5 miles if you just do the trail to the top and back. It was not nearly as busy as other hikes in the area... Especially for this time of year on a Saturday. I was expecting a really easy hike based on the rating, but going up was pretty steep!

I prefer this hike to camelback. Great views and not crowded. I would not rate it an easy hike. Shorter, but steep incline.

Joseph Montgomery

3 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike with beautiful views. I went later in the day, a little after 3pm. It was a bit warm, lower 90s at the start, but a good amount of the hike was in the shade and it got cooler and more breezy the higher I hiked. I went through about 2 liters of water. I only saw a few people which was really nice, I'm guessing because it was later in the day. It was extremely peaceful without large a lot of people like some other hikes around the area. I tracked this with my phone and it said it was only 4.5 miles back and forth, not the 6.3 that this site says. It could be wrong but it didn't seem like 6 miles. The ascent will get your heart going a bit but its great reward. I highly recommend this hike!

Jonathan Glica

1 Completed2 Reviews

A great hike. Beautiful views of the desert valley to the east. Not many people on the trail the day I went, which was nice. Alot more tranquil then other hiking spots.