Tom's Thumb Trail

#2 of 207 trails in Tonto National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Tom's Thumb Trail is a 6.3 mile out and back trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Katie Thieman (260)

5 Completed5 Reviews

This was a fantastic hike! From the trail head parking lot to Tom's Thumb (the trail we took anyways) is about 2 miles, we also made a pit stop at the lookout point. So our trip was around 4 miles out and back, not the 6 this page says. But still fantastic! But let me tell you that first half of the climb kicks your butt! We had to make multiple stops to catch our breath and for water. We are all regular hikers and all of us thought this first part of the hike is hard. But don't give up! Once you get past the first steep out and back section it is much easier and the views are definitely worth it! My favorite hike I've done in AZ so far! I'll definitely be back! Oh, and bring a lot of water because there isn't any at the trail head and I went through the whole 2L that I brought. I also recommend going early in the morning to take advantage of the beginning (hard) part of the trail being in the shade.

Elissa Haynes (131)

4 Completed1 Reviews

CCR Dad (305)

7 Completed5 Reviews

Still my favorite hike, enough out of the way there is not a lot of people. there are trails at the bottom that are easy and if you want to climb to the top the trail is a good hike, very scenic with several ridges to top that will break up the incline and give your legs a break. There are bathrooms at the bottom and the big rocks especially at the top are very cool.

Heidi Morero (43)

6 Completed1 Reviews

This was an awesome trail, loved all the rock formations. It was a little tough for me and I consider myself an average hiker. It's a pretty steep climb and the top portion is a little difficult, not well defined trail in some spots but the climb to the top is worth it. The views are fantastic, even saw Fthe Fountain in Fountain Hills. I would recommend going in cooler weather.

Mohit Jain (78)

7 Completed1 Reviews

A must do hike in phoenix. Completed one way to Tom's Thumb in about an hour and 10 minutes with a slow to medium pace with few stops. First one hour is mostly incline, once we got up the mountain it was beautiful out there and completely worth it. The incline is not difficult at all, just don't rush yourself, enjoy the views and keep moving. Coming back down it took us much less time. Completely worth it. Beautiful views and a good work out.

Natalie Goode (90)

13 Completed1 Reviews

Don't follow the linked directions! It takes you to a gated neighborhood. Make sure to stay on Happy Valley, take a right on Ranch Gate Rd, then another right on 128th, and the trailhead is an easy find (lots of signs pointing you the right way too). Great views, not too crowded if you go early but it can definitely get busy later in the day. Im not sure if the distance on here is accurate because the trail signs totaled a little over 4 miles, but I used an app to track my hike and it was about 5 1/2

Tim Pachak (56)

17 Completed1 Reviews

Good climb in elevation. Great view of Four Peaks area. Trail a little loose on the way down. Wear shoes with some bite. I found my trekking poles to be a life saver on this hike.

Anne Whitten (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Tons of great trails, pretty level and good footing the whole way. Great scenery. No water at trailhead or any of the trails .

Apo Tsolakis (40)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Tis was an unreal hike and bike... It's a b$;);h to get up but about 3/4 rideable going up, all worth it on the way down!! Main trail head, main trail... IT'S WORTH IT!!

Scott Taylor (234)

8 Completed8 Reviews

Excellent views, interesting rock formations! We'll definitely be back. A few tips: Make sure your water bottles are full before arriving. There are bathrooms at the trailhead but NO water. If your map app says to turn off Happy Valley at Alameda (or anywhere other than Ranch Gate Rd.), ignore it! Otherwise you will end up in a neighborhood with no vehicular access to the trailhead AND no place to park. Stay on Happy Valley to Ranch gate Rd., then turn right, and right again on128th St., which goes right into the trailhead parking lot. The trail is a little steep most of the way, especially when coming down. Trail surface is mostly loose dirt, and/or very fine gravel, over packed dirt so make sure you have footwear with really good traction! Trekking poles might also be helpful just in terms of preventing a slip and fall. My coordination and shoes were good but I still almost wiped out a few times on the way down. Definitely worth the drive from anywhere in the Valley, and worth the moderately strenuous exercise. A real keeper!

Support