Tom's Thumb Trail

#2 of 207 trails in Tonto National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Tom's Thumb Trail is a 6.3 mile out and back trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

danny flynn (2555)

28 Completed31 Reviews

I had been dying to do Scottsdale trails, but it's a trip for me so I had not done any. Today I had a meeting in north Scottsdale, so I swung over to do Tom's Thumb, which was quite a bit farther. The route is well marked with road signs, so it is easy to find. It's out there a ways! The trail is well groomed, and at first it seems really easy. Continuing on, though, it gets to be pretty difficult. For the first one mile it is a steep climb up the side of the mountain. The trail climbs up about 1,400 feet, and that is tough. There are no tricks to the trail. The only trick is the climb. More than once I thought about turning around! Fortunately, I didn't. It tops out at over 3,000 feet. The close by rocks are spectacular. There were not many people on the trail today. I passed by five others going up and down, including one older gentleman who left me in the dust on the way up. When I reached the top, he had already turned around and started back down. There are several connecting trails going to different places, including the McDowell Mountains and the rock climbing area. Visitors are warned against attempting rock climbing without skills and equipment! This is a great, challenging hike.

Manpreet S. (145)

Best hike with nice view....

Rick Prochaska (119)

2 Completed1 Reviews

We loved it the gain is tough at the start but the destination is worth the trip. Be careful of rattlesnakes you can expect to see them.

Natalie Gaston (167)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Gary Ross (148)

11 Completed1 Reviews

I love this hike. Probably my favorite hike to date in the Phoenix area. It's challenging because from the bottom it just doesn't look as long and as high up as it really is. I really like how you start uphill but then there is sort of a canyon that brings you lower down before it starts uphill again. Gorgeous views from the top! Plan on spending a good three hours for this but well worth it. Can't wait to do it again.

Ashley volpe (159)

14 Completed6 Reviews

Great hike in the pinnacle peak area. I really like it because their are trials off this trail so that if you want to extend your hike you can.

Jake Mather (58)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Starts with a long steady incline on a well groomed trail. At the top there is an opportunity to scale the thumb, but requires free climbing equipment. Great view. Restrooms are available, but no water source. No drinking fountains either. This is a long hike bring three or more liters of water.

Susan Dyer (84)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Susan Dyer (84)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful trail. Switchbacks the first .5 miles are strenuous but the views are worth it!

Dustin Laufenberg (47)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Easy quick hike and close to the city without being to crowded.

Support