Tom's Thumb Trail

HARD
#1 of 109 trails in Tonto National Forest
true
Tom's Thumb Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scottsdale, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash hiking views wild flowers wildlife
Hide Map

Brenna Chavez

5 Completed0 Reviews

I loved this! Beautiful preserve with amazing scenery. Bathrooms available. Fairly easy, about 2 miles to Toms Thumb and 2 miles back.

Sophie Hargreaves

8 Completed0 Reviews

Amazing hike! My favorite in Phoenix so far! First third is easy, second its hard, third is moderate. To get to the actual Tom's Thumb rock requires you going through some caves, which is a lot of fun and well worth it!

Shawna Papsin

4 Completed0 Reviews

I've done this hike 2 times now and love it. Not too challenging but not too simple. Great work out! So worth the views.

Jonathan Glica

2 Completed2 Reviews

I love this trail! Beautiful scenery in every direction. Great views of Four Peaks, and Fountain Hills. If your timing is good you can see the fountain going off in Fountain Hills, from the trail saddle. This is a fun trail that offers a great workout, and stunning vistas in every direction.

ALLAN WAGNER

10 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike for training with a heavy pack

T Swany

3 Completed0 Reviews

Good.

Kimberly Widmann

Patrick M.

I had a blast! As soon as I arrived I volunteer at the trailhead pointed out where the maps were and told me a little bit about the trail and what to expect with varying degrees of grade and approximately where those areas were on the trail. She reminded me they had no water on site I advised her I had brought an adequate amount she was very helpful and friendly. I quickly used the restroom that's there on site went out hit the trail and was amazed at the spectacular views that Tom's Thumb Trail had to offer. I would definitely do this Trail again in a heartbeat.......... well at least after my heart rate gets back to normal from this strenuous but well worth it hike!

Steven Schravesande

4 Completed2 Reviews

Good hike: slow rise first 1/2 mile than switch backs with several up/down for next mike, 1/2 mile of ridge line than 1/3 mile straight up to Thumb

david hoffer

2 Completed0 Reviews

One of my favorite hikes in the Scottsdale area. Not heavily trafficked and great views on the way up. Falcons are apparently nesting at the top so keep your voices down.

Cindy Metz

10 Completed0 Reviews

This is one of my favorite hikes in the Valley and in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. It gets the heart pumping and there are beautiful views in all directions. Look for all the interesting rock formations along the way, and maybe find the location of two caves hidden in the rocks. You can go to the Thumb or use this trail to make a great 10 mile loop for Grand Canyon training.

Misty Medina

20 Completed0 Reviews

Taylor Runck

2 Completed0 Reviews

An intense, but great hike. I could not get over the beautiful view!

Sonya Rose

1 Completed0 Reviews

Beautiful trail

Tamira Allen

7 Completed0 Reviews

Travis Lambert

12 Completed2 Reviews

This is my favorite hike in the area, the one I take everyone to their first time hiking. Affords some of the most beautiful views around. Not sure why the difficulty is rated as hard. It's not easy, but neither should I say it's hard.

Brian Parkinson

17 Completed14 Reviews

Fun little short hike. Tom's thumb isn't all that spectacular, but the views along the way are great! This is a perfect day hike for anyone wanting a little workout

Caroline Larsen

4 Completed1 Reviews

Challenging mostly at the beginning, then easier. Clear trail to follow, a few wildflowers throughout. We went late in the afternoon on Easter and it wasn't crowded at all. Took a little over two hours. Great views along much of the way. Cool rock formations. Bring water - bathrooms at the trailhead but no water.

Jerrid Lujan

2 Completed0 Reviews

if going on a weekend be ready for a crowd. first 1/3 of trail switch backs up the mountain and is fairly steep. the following is fairly easy and rewarding with views of scottsdale and fountain hills along with large boulder formations.

Mark Houston