West Fork Oak Creek Trail

#1 of 204 trails in coconino national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

West Fork Oak Creek Trail is a 6 mile out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Carol Lembke (86)

9 Completed1 Reviews

Great in the fall. Perfect temperature for hiking on a nice day. Plan about 4 hours for a leisurely hike with numerous pictures. The scenery is incredible. Go to the end of the trail and past the sign until at least the gigantic fallen tree. We were able to hike the creek where others told us you normally can't due to higher water. I suggest doing it while you can it is one of the best parts of the hike along with the jaw dropping brilliant colored peaks and ridges above'. Don't forget to bring water and your camera.

Dave Clark (162)

6 Completed6 Reviews

This was the first trail I hiked on my 2014 Sedona Vacation. I heard about it from the girl sitting next to me on my flight down here.It was one of her favourites so my wife and I decided to hike it as our introductory hike for this year. Something easy to get back into the hiking groove. What a beautiful trail. I would certainly give it a Five Star rating and will walk it again in the days to come. The terrain was relatively flat and easy to walk. We did not get to the end as we ran out of time. It was a longer walk than I expected and it was so beautiful down in the canyon that we stopped often to take pictures and just enjoy the surroundings. If you do this walk and are an average hiker like me leave yourself at least 3 to 4 hours for the round trip. It is a popular trail so you will meet lots of people along the way. The scenery is awesome and crossing the creek, we crossed 8 times and didn't get to the trail head, is a hoot. They have left the crossings natural so you have to work at them if you don't want to get you feet wet. It would be a great place to bring your sweetheart as there are lots of opportunities for gentlemanly acts and handholding to navigate the creek beds. I stopped to talk to some hikers who were very familiar with the trail and they told me the last few creek crossings before the end were more exciting and that if you chose the wrong rocks to skip across on you could find your self in waist deep freezing water. That challenge will certainly bring me back in the next few days to do this one again. I had a very unique experience while walking this trail. I met Susie Beiler and her didgeridoo. My wife and I as well as another couple got to experience her Didgerideep Sound Healing. It was fascinating and very rewarding. I ended up buying her CD and am listening to it as I write this review. I don't know if Susie walks this trail often but if you happen to meet her on one of your hikes take the time to experience what she has to offer. You won't be disappointed.

Cynde Haan (102)

19 Completed1 Reviews

Daniel Riley (7067)

121 Completed114 Reviews

Oak Creek is awesome, and it's got the crowds to prove it. Get there early, or expect to wait for a parking spot. The Red Rocks pass does not work at Oak Creek. The entrance fee is $10, and it's cash only. Camping is allowed once you get six miles from the trailhead, but the trail proceeds along the bottom of a shallow canyon and can be impassable beyond the maintained trail.

Shane Eigell (239)

18 Completed6 Reviews

The West Fork of Oak Creek was the epicenter of the Late May 2014 "Slide Wildfire", which burned over 21000 acres until fully contained on June 4th. While the Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) Team is still assessing the degree of damage, a "Slide Fire West Fork Flyover" video has been posted to youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAtm8PNr-Cg) by the USFS. This video, and numerous still images, show that some areas of the ridgelines above the West Fork were Fully Burned while others had only the undergrowth charred. Amongst this video are statements that the West Fork Riparian Environment has been relatively unscathed. Lets HOPE SO!! And let's hope that authorities catch the individuals who are responsible for this Human Caused Wildfire who well could have TAKEN this Jewel of Nature from us (probably permanently as the area's famous Maples are otherwise very rare in Arizona).

Christine Burns (58)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Wonderful easy hike! We have hiked it several times and take visiting friends as well. Everyone we take on the hike finds it breathtaking. Just a friendly reminder to those going in the winter, it is ice covered and spikes are really great to have.

Leonore Lee (77)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Easy trail for all ages, cross crossing back and forth over the creek was very fun but beware that your feet might get wet. Stunning views looking UP at the canyon around you. Great for trail running if you don't mind slowing down to cross the creek. Parking now $10 + $2 for each additional person over the first 5.

John Morrison (57)

2 Completed1 Reviews

great hike and beautiful bites

Katrina Wright (274)

14 Completed10 Reviews

Beautiful views!! Amazing rock formations I was so surprised to see the amazing things this trail has to offer. The trail was busy. We did this hike with our 6 year old and 5 month old puppy. The best part was walking in the river at the turn around point it was freezing cold but the view was worth it.

Ah Poozi (1979)

141 Completed50 Reviews

It's a nice hike, but there are other hikes just as good where there won't be as many people. $9 is steep if you ask me and they don't accept the interagency pass. But it is a fun hike. The creek is really running now because of the storm so you're going to get wet to at least mid calf if you want to go all the way to the narrow pool. Water is chilly, just wear some sneakers that drain well.

Support