West Fork Oak Creek Trail

#2 of 204 trails in coconino national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

West Fork Oak Creek Trail is a 6 mile out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Cassidy Lujan (107)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Easy hike and beautiful views. Water hike: be prepared.

Ben R. (160)

Adrian Catuna (152)

2 Completed2 Reviews

One of my favorites

Dorian McGlannan (110)

3 Completed3 Reviews

We did this hike last year and it is spectacular. It is crowded but that is the only downside.

Jim B. (113)

Pros: Stunning views up and around and you are right in the midst of it. Not the expansive down canyon views like other hikes because in many places you are surrounded by 1,000 ft. cliffs 100 yards on either side - incredible in their own way. Light play on the heavily water-sculpted rocks along the creek makes for awesome photos. Difficulty - Easy, Suitable for just about anyone
Cons: The crowds, what else? But there are many places to go off trail for peace & quiet, if not solitude.
One of our top 5 Sedona area hikes

Jim B. (113)

One of our top 5 Sedona area hikes

NiQorya Nettles (132)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Angela Maeve (125)

23 Completed4 Reviews

My absolute, no-questions-asked, FAVORITE trail in Arizona - and possibly the world! Crowded, like many have already mentioned, but if you go on a non-holiday weekday, you'll have a better chance of something resembling solitude.
The best compliment I've ever received was from a woman passing me on the trail last fall, who said, "Well, look at you. You make this trail even more beautiful, with that hair color." Wow. Just, wow. I blushed 15 shades of red, in the best way.

Dan Mildbrand (188)

7 Completed5 Reviews

Negatives - Crowded. There were so many people on this trail it was almost like a shopping mall in December. There are probably 12 or more creek crossings and you can expect to encounter novice hikers holding up dozens of people as they try, sometimes unsuccessfully, to stay dry as they boulder hop. The Trail loses its way towards the end but if you can recognize cairns you will be ok. If you aren't comfortable with boulder hopping across creeks or getting wet just stay home or be prepared to give right of way to experienced hikers and runners.

Positives - This trail is excellent for running. It is wide on most spots and relatively flat. After I think 4 miles the trail allows overnight camping and it becomes more rugged and far less travelled. I wish I had the time to camp.

Advice - If you run into a group of old ladies or kids taking 15 minutes to cross a 20' stream just skirt the stream for a few yards and you will probably find a suitable crossing spot without having to wait.

Brian Mcgarry (322)

23 Completed6 Reviews

We went out to Sedona after some family stuff in Phoenix and boy it was worth it! I will say that this was probably the busiest trail I have EVER seen. Just to get into the parking lot was an hour and a half wait! So, while Cheryl and the dog waited in traffic to get a spot, I walked up and spoke with the ranger on duty. She told me to go down the road about half a mile and park on the shoulder and that we wouldn't be towed if we had our car there overnight or more and that she was on duty for the next few days and would periodically check on our vehicle. Super nice ranger!
So, we left our car on the side of the road and walked past all the suckers waiting for their turn to turn around and go home, hahahah! But, the joke was on us as we passed well over a hundred hikers and families! That would have been enough, but there were also busloads of international tourists walking all over the environment without any care of the impact they were causing! And I am not exaggerating, there were three tour buses in the parking lot! To top it off we found, picked up and carried out a number of snack wrappers all over the trial and even in the creek! But I digress...The canyon was the best I have ever seen with a myriad of different colored rock formations, various types of flora and fauna, and the creek was such a welcome sight. So much so, I apparently turned into my father and made the same joke over and over again about how we had to come to the desert in Arizona to find more water than we have in California, haha.
We ended up hiking about 7 miles back into the canyon and found a terrific campsite elevated about 25 feet above the creek and protected form the elements and set up shop. Or at least tried to...We had to clean up all the trash left by previous tenants first, and by trash I mean TRASH. there was a half burned and torn Walmart brand tent strewn about the site, opened and unopened cans of sardines, plastic water bottles, socks, a brand new camping chair with a bag, and various other items of illicit/ illegal origins. we packed out most of it but unfortunately we didn't have room in our packs to haul out the rest. Regardless, we set up camp and went exploring up the creek and its various tributaries until it got dark and we came back.
Woke up early the next morning, packed up and hiked out. For all the "taboos" we felt we dealt with (tourists, trash,and our own environmental concerns) it was much more than I had ever expected from my first adventure in Arizona and can't wait to go back! There are so many amazing wilderness and outdoor opportunities in Northern Arizona and with almost year round access to all of them the possibilities are endless! If you haven't been to Sedona or Flagstaff, do yourself a favor and get there before the idiots start another forest fire or trash it anymore. Sorry for the negativity, but it breaks my heart to witness the effects of peoples apathy and disrespect.

Support