Whitaker Point Trail (Hawksbill Crag)

MODERATE
#1 of 41 trails in Ozark National Forest
Whitaker Point Trail (Hawksbill Crag) is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Deer, AR that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly birding camping hiking nature trips walking forest views waterfall wild flowers wildlife rocky
Hide Map

The trail's destination is the "Crag", a rock formation that juts out from the bluff's face that resembles a hawk's beak. It overlooks Whitaker Creek and a huge valley stretching for a long distance. but this is not all, in the spring and fall rainy season you can discover a number of waterfalls.

Brandon Dake

2 Completed2 Reviews

Katelyn Harp

4 Completed2 Reviews

Logan Isaac

1 Completed1 Reviews

Easy hiking and beautiful views. Once you arrive towards the end of the trail, you feel as if you are on top of the world as you are standing on the giant rocks above the valley below.

Charity Winnett

7 Completed5 Reviews

Loved this trail, slightly dangerous but breathtaking views and very well marked! The road to this trail is not easy and can be dangerous as well! All in all its a must see!

Breanna Roberts

2 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful views and lookouts the whole last part of the trail. The crag is breathtaking but there was a bit of traffic and people loitering on it. It is a very long drop off so be safe and smart and not take risky pictures. Accidents are not uncommon there.

Daniel Gray

1 Completed1 Reviews

Directions on here are very misleading. If you continue on the high way you'll see a sign directing you to the trail. The road up there is small and muddy but isn't a problem to drive on. Trail could use more trail markers and the rock that sticks out can be easily confused with other rocks that stick out if it's your first time.

Kaitlynn Casaert

4 Completed1 Reviews

Pretty easy trail with a gratifying view at the end

KoDee Browning

42 Completed13 Reviews

great day hike for a beautiful view. trails below take to a few neat waterfalls.

Matt Bauer

12 Completed5 Reviews

Really fun hike, I did get lost at one point but that's because I didn't know to turn right (I went left). After coming back and hiking the correct way, I was absolutely blown away at how beautiful the scenic view was. Gravel / muddy road leading up to the hike, so if you're worried about dinging your car up, you might want to stray from this. Worth the drive and don't rush the trail, take it all in.

Jacob Maynard

5 Completed5 Reviews

Gorgeous hike with a lot of great "distractions" on the way to the end. I would call it a very easy and family friendly hike. There is a small incline at the beginning/end, but nothing to put you off of making the journey. It is a rather rough and long drive in and out to the trailhead though. Highly recommend a 4-Wheel Drive vehicle (especially if it rained recently), but it isn't needed. We made it through with a few smaller front-wheel drive cars.

Marianne Bassinger

16 Completed17 Reviews

I hiked this trail on April 4th of 2016. Pretty much easy trail but with high cliffs you could easily fall off of .The views from the Crag are amazing would recommend this trail but just be careful if you have small children I think the road up to the trail was worse than the trail

Sierra Van Allen

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful view out over the trees. Lots of big flat rocks near the edge of the cliff to eat lunch on. Easy enough hike for most people. The very end is an uphill workout, but only for a short distance. An Arkansas staple.

Chris Shipe

2 Completed3 Reviews

Fairly easy trek in and out. As much as my son and I wanted to see the point, we really enjoyed the waterfall about 2/3 of the way in. Definitely a crowded hike though!

Chris Shipe

2 Completed3 Reviews

Evan Bishop

7 Completed4 Reviews

Was a very good trail, the point had an astonishing view! But choose when you go wisely or you'll see 50-100 people. There was 20+ just on the point when we had went, but we'll worth it.

Kelsie Sonneberger

1 Completed1 Reviews

The scenery up to the peak is beautiful, but we didn't get to experience the peak like I had hoped (really at all). If we go back, we will definitely be going VERY early in the morning. This a very "touristy" place and the peak was crowded (20+ people on the peak alone). Take into account weekends, time of day, and seasons.

Ryan Puckett

3 Completed3 Reviews

Beautiful trail. Asked my wife to marry me on the cliff last May, and we just got married last weekend. We will hike it again soon!

Jamie Yates

Awesome

Kris Burks

1 Completed1 Reviews

I must be blind or something. I walked down the path about 1 mile and it ended at a creek. I could not see a path anywhere. There are no path markers that I saw either. Did I take a wrong turn?

Josh Crouch

4 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful overlook especially at sunrise. It is pretty crowded though but if you go just a bit further there are a few more overlooks just as beautiful, and a spot where it would be possible to safely climb to the bottom of the bluffs too.