Whitaker Point Trail (Hawksbill Crag)

MODERATE
#1 of 41 trails in Ozark National Forest
true
Whitaker Point Trail (Hawksbill Crag) is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Deer, AR that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly birding camping hiking nature trips walking forest views waterfall wild flowers wildlife rocky
Hide Map

The trail's destination is the "Crag", a rock formation that juts out from the bluff's face that resembles a hawk's beak. It overlooks Whitaker Creek and a huge valley stretching for a long distance. but this is not all, in the spring and fall rainy season you can discover a number of waterfalls.

KoDee Browning

38 Completed0 Reviews

great day hike for a beautiful view. trails below take to a few neat waterfalls.

Matt Bauer

9 Completed0 Reviews

Really fun hike, I did get lost at one point but that's because I didn't know to turn right (I went left). After coming back and hiking the correct way, I was absolutely blown away at how beautiful the scenic view was. Gravel / muddy road leading up to the hike, so if you're worried about dinging your car up, you might want to stray from this. Worth the drive and don't rush the trail, take it all in.

Jacob Maynard

2 Completed0 Reviews

Gorgeous hike with a lot of great "distractions" on the way to the end. I would call it a very easy and family friendly hike. There is a small incline at the beginning/end, but nothing to put you off of making the journey. It is a rather rough and long drive in and out to the trailhead though. Highly recommend a 4-Wheel Drive vehicle (especially if it rained recently), but it isn't needed. We made it through with a few smaller front-wheel drive cars.

Marianne Bassinger

16 Completed8 Reviews

I hiked this trail on April 4th of 2016. Pretty much easy trail but with high cliffs you could easily fall off of .The views from the Crag are amazing would recommend this trail but just be careful if you have small children I think the road up to the trail was worse than the trail

Sierra Van Allen

1 Completed0 Reviews

Beautiful view out over the trees. Lots of big flat rocks near the edge of the cliff to eat lunch on. Easy enough hike for most people. The very end is an uphill workout, but only for a short distance. An Arkansas staple.

Chris Shipe

1 Completed0 Reviews

Fairly easy trek in and out. As much as my son and I wanted to see the point, we really enjoyed the waterfall about 2/3 of the way in. Definitely a crowded hike though!

Chris Shipe

Evan Bishop

4 Completed0 Reviews

Was a very good trail, the point had an astonishing view! But choose when you go wisely or you'll see 50-100 people. There was 20+ just on the point when we had went, but we'll worth it.

Kelsie Sonneberger

1 Completed0 Reviews

The scenery up to the peak is beautiful, but we didn't get to experience the peak like I had hoped (really at all). If we go back, we will definitely be going VERY early in the morning. This a very "touristy" place and the peak was crowded (20+ people on the peak alone). Take into account weekends, time of day, and seasons.

Ryan Puckett

3 Completed0 Reviews

Beautiful trail. Asked my wife to marry me on the cliff last May, and we just got married last weekend. We will hike it again soon!

Jamie Yates

Awesome

Kris Burks

1 Completed0 Reviews

I must be blind or something. I walked down the path about 1 mile and it ended at a creek. I could not see a path anywhere. There are no path markers that I saw either. Did I take a wrong turn?

Josh Crouch

2 Completed0 Reviews

Beautiful overlook especially at sunrise. It is pretty crowded though but if you go just a bit further there are a few more overlooks just as beautiful, and a spot where it would be possible to safely climb to the bottom of the bluffs too.

Tara Giddings-Tipsord

Tara Giddings-Tipsord

3 Completed0 Reviews

popular, crowded, we liked the falls better than the point. all in all a beautiful hike and good workout.

Kady Hendrix

1 Completed0 Reviews

Beautiful outlook, pretty popular and therefore pretty crowded

Scott Coleman

Excellent

Chelsie N.

Beautiful!

Rebecca Cain

8 Completed0 Reviews

The hike in and out isn't too bad. Hawksbill point is amazing. The waterfall is pretty too! Many photo opportunities.

William Foster