Whitaker Point Trail (Hawksbill Crag)

#1 of 64 trails in Ozark National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

The trail's destination is the "Crag", a rock formation that juts out from the bluff's face that resembles a hawk's beak. It overlooks Whitaker Creek and a huge valley stretching for a long distance. but this is not all, in the spring and fall rainy season you can discover a number of waterfalls.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ben Olson (185)

10 Completed10 Reviews

This is a pretty neat hike. The lookout is beautiful and the trail is well kept. If you plan on going I suggest the following:
1.) You will have to go down a very long and very nasty dirt road. Cars can make it, but it's pretty rough.
2.) This is one of the most popular hikes in Arkansas. If seclusion is what you're looking for, go elsewhere or go first thing in the morning.
3.) This probably isn't a take-the-kids-with kind of hike. It's not terribly strenuous, but there are a lot dangerous bluffs.

Eric W (204)

7 Completed7 Reviews

Awesome overlook on Hawksbill Crag. Good hike to get there. Beautiful in the fall when leaves change color. Well worth the effort.

Jeff Towell (430)

14 Completed15 Reviews

This is a great hike to one of the most sought after photo shoots in Arkansas. Very distinct trail and we'll marked. All ages should be able to hike it. Not wheelchair accessible and the cliffs are dangerous for younger kids.

John Caire (641)

24 Completed1 Reviews

Always a great experience

Rebecca Prock (349)

4 Completed4 Reviews

This hike was so enjoyable, breathe taking! The adventure on the dirt road is a story itself!! Hope ya have a truck, but taker slow!!

Whistle Norvell (148)

12 Completed7 Reviews

Was an enjoyable hike with my three sons. We went on a wet weekend, but there was still a substantial crowd. On the hike back to the parking lot it was torrential rain, and we were concerned about driving out in the mud road, but made it out safely. Very beautiful view from the point.

Sofi Virabyan (87)

26 Completed1 Reviews

Loved it! Super easy , great view in the end !

Chris M. (282)

4 Completed4 Reviews

I am new to this site, but used the reviews and information to help me with this trail. I've wanted to go here for years, and I never knew how or where to go to get here. So thank you to you all. We went slow and enjoyed all of the views, taking pictures and talking to other people (who wanted conversation). =)

The weather for July was surprisingly cool for most of the hike. And there are literally photo opportunities along the entire way.

It took us 2.5 hours (going leisurely). I wish we had taken a lunch and could have stayed longer.

We can't wait to go back!

Catie C. (156)

It's a pretty easy hike once you find it. This was our last activity after a weekend camping and canoeing. We went on a Monday morning and we were the only group on the trail. The view from the point is beautiful. Definitely a worthwhile hike! My boyfriend proposed on the point and our friends were able to get some really cool pictures from far away. Needless to say I now find this place very special!

Kass M (828)

36 Completed9 Reviews

Easy trail and of course a great view from the Crag