Whitaker Point Trail (Hawksbill Crag)

#1 of 64 trails in Ozark National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

The trail's destination is the "Crag", a rock formation that juts out from the bluff's face that resembles a hawk's beak. It overlooks Whitaker Creek and a huge valley stretching for a long distance. but this is not all, in the spring and fall rainy season you can discover a number of waterfalls.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Mark Jones (117)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Has anyone been down below this trail down to the buffalo river? I would like to do a bushwhack between bowers Hallow falls and Hawksbill crag. Any help is appreciated.

Jason Knudsen (329)

12 Completed7 Reviews

Wasn't blown away by this one. It's a nice trail, sure, and the Crag is a beautiful spot, but there are about 4 or 5 better systems in Arkansas, IMO. Still recommended, but just temper your expectations.

Stephen Houserman (121)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was my second time there. My wife and I anticipated on having a quiet weekend to go camping but there were way too many people on the trail. It's become more popular over the past few years and was too busy for my liking. A group of 15 or so people decided of all places to camp, 30 ft from our camping location would be a great idea. My wife and I had to pack our stuff and move 300 yards away to get our peace and quiet. Kind of annoying. Good luck trying to get a picture on the rock, people just stand in your shot without the curtesy of moving out of the way. It was like a zoo.

The scenery is really nice and the trail is for all skill levels. However, if you are looking for some solitude and to escape society, there are far better places to go in the area.

Abby Taylor (52)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Jake T. (121)

This was a great trail. The county road off of Hwy. 43 to get to the trailhead was very sloppy, but the trip was well worth it. Some buddies and I went to of course see the "Crag" at the end of the trail but found so many other cool sights along the way, our favorite of which being a series of waterfalls that cascaded down 15-20 feet several times before disappearing away from the trail. It was even possible to hike down and stand behind the waterfall, which made for some neat pictures. There were several overlooks on the way to the point, each of which had a great view and was picture-worthy. When you see Hawksbill Crag you will know it. It is a beautiful sight and an excellent picture location. The hike is not strenuous and could be done in just over an hour if one was in a hurry, although I recommend allowing two hours or a little more because of all of the great sights along the way and of course the final point at the end.

Natosha Sheaffer (62)

3 Completed1 Reviews

This trail was beautiful! It had just snowed a couple days before, but the weather was a perfect 60 degrees. What a combination for a great hike. The only thing I found to be confusing at times was the trail wasn't always clear to follow. I had to backtrack a couple times to make sure I was going on the right path. Also to get there I almost felt like I was lost, because there were little signs to point you in the right direction. All in all will definitely have to make another trip during fall!

Thanh Cramer (528)

24 Completed14 Reviews

I really enjoyed this hike. Plenty of rock formations along the bluff to sit and chill out on. Obviously, be careful climbing around. Quite windy at the top, fun to sit near the tip of the bill. Not too far ahead of great photo vantage points.

Will McDoniel (116)

5 Completed3 Reviews

Highly, highly, highly recommend this trail! Easy hike, great for families, and one of the best views in the whole state! Come during the fall for the fall colors and come early, very popular throughout the region!

Jen York (4924)

66 Completed33 Reviews

Hawksbill crag is the poster image for Arkansans. And that's literal! It's a mild and short enough trail. If you go counter clock wise, when the trail comes up to the first sign of bluffs, there is a waterfall! You can shimmy down using a tree. There are actually two more falls down from this. The views along the bluffs are superb. A great place to take full advantage of nature's glory.

Do use caution. People have died from falling. Don't think it can't happen to you. The road is a little rough as well with several miles of gravel road and much elevation gain. Well worth it! Make a day and hit up glory hole and magnolia falls down the same highway or head back to Boxley valley and check out most valley.

Kaylee Richardson (57)

2 Completed2 Reviews

This was one of the hardest trails to locate for us on our trip. For the Hawksbill Crag being such a well known area there was no signs off the highway and the dirt road was so steep in some spots and we thought we were lost. But we finally seen all the cars parks at the trail head and knew we were in the right place. The trail was beautiful and had a lot of good look out points along the way. The Hawksbill Crag was definitely the highlight though! It is a very wide rock and not as dangerous to walk out on as some pictures lead you to think. The only think I didn't like about this was how many people were there. I would definitely suggest going on a weekday if at all possible. It was hard getting our pictures taken out on the crag because we were waiting for the crowd to clear and as soon as we would get ready to take one another group of people would be walking out not caring if you were taking pictures. Still a great hike with s breathtaking view!!! Will definately go back!

Support