Hawksbill Crag Trail

Deer, AR
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

The trail's destination is the "Crag", a rock formation that juts out from the bluff's face that resembles a hawk's beak. It overlooks Whitaker Creek and a huge valley stretching for a long distance. but this is not all, in the spring and fall rainy season you can discover a number of waterfalls.

South of Ponca, Ark, on hwy 21, go past hwy 43 intersection 1.2 miles, turn west on a gravel rd, just before you cross the bridge, the road takes you straight up the mountain side, go about 5.5 miles to country church, proceed another .5 miles and you will see the parking on the right side of the road and the trailhead on the left side.

no facilities, parking at the trail head.

Buffalo Ranger District, Hwy. 7 north, Jasper, AR 72641 ph. 870.446.5122

12 Completed 5 Reviews

I LOVE this hike!!! We have done this hike for years with family and friends. I love taking people here. I haven't hiked to the creek yet but we are planning to do so in a few weeks. One beautiful place to be!!!!

Person_placeholder

52 Completed 52 Reviews

Short hike with some great views.

3 Completed 3 Reviews

I went on day when the fog was thick but from what I could see it was amazing! I plan to go on a day I can actually see the valley. There's a lot to climb and explore though! Worth it even on a foggy day, kinda eery though!

Icon_85b552fbb61b4541edde03b549924b20

390 Completed 390 Reviews

This is my fifth trip to the Crag, every time I bring friends for the first time to the area, I always do the Crag. Great short hike with views and waterfalls.

13 Completed 2 Reviews

Great trail. We took our 2 dogs on it with us. I will be going again soon, since I forgot the battery for my camera! Breathtaking views!

Icon_e82cd3cfd62d3fb5a63630483b961c08

13 Completed 12 Reviews

Very nice short trail with great views. Has plenty of good places to camp.

22 Completed 22 Reviews

Fun trail, very scenic and great views. Hawksbill Crag is the cover photo for the 2005 Rand McNally Road Atlas. We hiked this trail to the Crag in 2008 and 2012. A must do hike.

5 Completed 5 Reviews

Beautiful hike! The view is amazing at the point! The day we went it was very crowded. It is an easy hike! I wish to go early and see the sun rise!

1 Completed 1 Reviews

My family and I hiked this trail in November 2013, we are not experienced hikers by any means. This was a beautiful hike, and it was well worth the time to get to the Crag.

25 Completed 25 Reviews

My husband and I hiked this trail in March of 2010 during an anniversary trip to the Buffalo. Even during leaf-off, the view from The Crag was absolutely amazing! And yeah...I definitely remember the uphill climb out! Looking forward to visiting again this Fall or next Spring!

Support