Hawksbill Crag Trail

#2 of 67 trails in Ozark National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

The trail's destination is the "Crag", a rock formation that juts out from the bluff's face that resembles a hawk's beak. It overlooks Whitaker Creek and a huge valley stretching for a long distance. but this is not all, in the spring and fall rainy season you can discover a number of waterfalls.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jen York (3112)

44 Completed25 Reviews

Hawksbill crag is the poster image for Arkansans. And that's literal! It's a mild and short enough trail. If you go counter clock wise, when the trail comes up to the first sign of bluffs, there is a waterfall! You can shimmy down using a tree. There are actually two more falls down from this. The views along the bluffs are superb. A great place to take full advantage of nature's glory. Do use caution. People have died from falling. Don't think it can't happen to you. The road is a little rough as well with several miles of gravel road and much elevation gain. Well worth it! Make a day and hit up glory hole and magnolia falls down the same highway or head back to Boxley valley and check out most valley.

Kaylee Richardson (53)

2 Completed2 Reviews

This was one of the hardest trails to locate for us on our trip. For the Hawksbill Crag being such a well known area there was no signs off the highway and the dirt road was so steep in some spots and we thought we were lost. But we finally seen all the cars parks at the trail head and knew we were in the right place. The trail was beautiful and had a lot of good look out points along the way. The Hawksbill Crag was definitely the highlight though! It is a very wide rock and not as dangerous to walk out on as some pictures lead you to think. The only think I didn't like about this was how many people were there. I would definitely suggest going on a weekday if at all possible. It was hard getting our pictures taken out on the crag because we were waiting for the crowd to clear and as soon as we would get ready to take one another group of people would be walking out not caring if you were taking pictures. Still a great hike with s breathtaking view!!! Will definately go back!

Kim Galttana (252)

8 Completed7 Reviews

Beautiful trail...... lots of gorgeous views. Uneven trail, difficult for young children but ok for older ones or if you can hold their hands. Just be careful they don't run toward the end. It was a beautiful day, and I imagine would be awesome when the fall foliage comes on.

Bob Wharton (7945)

265 Completed265 Reviews

Dan Cross (1452)

6 Completed5 Reviews

The greatest views with the least strenuous hike. I have hiked this trail 3 times before. Beautiful anytime of year.

Justin Olson (404)

20 Completed16 Reviews

Valerie Peterson (130)

9 Completed1 Reviews

Loved this hike! Even after having knee surgery (a few years ago) I was able to hike this trail. Beatutiful!! 5 miles up the dirt road and thinking we might be lost ha we finally came upon the trail head (and disgusting porta potty...c'mon people!! Keep your trash where it belongs! ) Lots of up an down but nothing I couldn't do... It was a very hot day as well. I suggest a few bottles of water or a camelback during the summer months. I would love to visit in the fall! The crag itself was much wider than I initially thought so (having a fear of heights) I was able to walk out and have a few photos taken. 100 ft drop does not sound like a fun landing to me. Be safe people!

Barbara & Oscar Zamudio (128)

3 Completed2 Reviews

A relatively great hike for any hiker. We tried to drive the 5 mile drive to the parking area in motorcycles and it was too dangerous. Loose gravel and very steep climbs forced us to park at the entrance to county road 5. Overall great reward for such a short hike. The peak is breathtaking. Great views.

Benjamin Hancock (202)

21 Completed10 Reviews

Ignore my comment about the coordinates, they were for the hawksbill crag waterfall bushwhack trailhead. My gps had me approach from the south and left me half a mile short of the goal. The current coordinates are correct.

Benjamin Hancock (202)

21 Completed10 Reviews

Easy trail, well marked, nice views at the end. THE GIVEN COORDINATES FOR THE TRAILHEAD ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This lead us 30 miles out of the way (and 30 miles back) down some really crappy roads. The ACTUAL trailhead coordinates that I took WHILE STANDING AT THE TRAILHEAD are: N 35 53.894, W 93 27.478 My guess is that someone went on Google maps after the fact and tried to identify the trailhead based on landmarks because there are similarities.

Support