Whitaker Point Trail (Hawksbill Crag)

#1 of 64 trails in Ozark National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

The trail's destination is the "Crag", a rock formation that juts out from the bluff's face that resembles a hawk's beak. It overlooks Whitaker Creek and a huge valley stretching for a long distance. but this is not all, in the spring and fall rainy season you can discover a number of waterfalls.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Vicky B. (116)

Nice hike. Great waterfalls around but two of them are a little tough to access and can be a treacherous. I was worried about taking my hatchback for the drive, but while the first 0.5 miles are indeed very steep, the next mile is less steep and the rest is more or less flat. We didn't have any issues getting there, even after heavy rain.

Robert Teitel (169)

13 Completed4 Reviews

Very nice hike. I would say easy. The crag is a nice spot to take pics. It is not as scenic as I had imagined but well worth your time.

Cindy Wewers (373)

17 Completed9 Reviews

This was a family favorite for many years. I have seen it in all seasons. I have hiked down to Whitaker Creek all the way to the Buffalo River and back up to the "Crag". That is a hard hike but beautiful. Hailey's Falls is beautiful in rainy season!!!!

Mark Jones (117)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Has anyone been down below this trail down to the buffalo river? I would like to do a bushwhack between bowers Hallow falls and Hawksbill crag. Any help is appreciated.

Jason Knudsen (329)

12 Completed7 Reviews

Wasn't blown away by this one. It's a nice trail, sure, and the Crag is a beautiful spot, but there are about 4 or 5 better systems in Arkansas, IMO. Still recommended, but just temper your expectations.

Stephen Houserman (121)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was my second time there. My wife and I anticipated on having a quiet weekend to go camping but there were way too many people on the trail. It's become more popular over the past few years and was too busy for my liking. A group of 15 or so people decided of all places to camp, 30 ft from our camping location would be a great idea. My wife and I had to pack our stuff and move 300 yards away to get our peace and quiet. Kind of annoying. Good luck trying to get a picture on the rock, people just stand in your shot without the curtesy of moving out of the way. It was like a zoo.

The scenery is really nice and the trail is for all skill levels. However, if you are looking for some solitude and to escape society, there are far better places to go in the area.

Abby Taylor (52)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Jake T. (121)

This was a great trail. The county road off of Hwy. 43 to get to the trailhead was very sloppy, but the trip was well worth it. Some buddies and I went to of course see the "Crag" at the end of the trail but found so many other cool sights along the way, our favorite of which being a series of waterfalls that cascaded down 15-20 feet several times before disappearing away from the trail. It was even possible to hike down and stand behind the waterfall, which made for some neat pictures. There were several overlooks on the way to the point, each of which had a great view and was picture-worthy. When you see Hawksbill Crag you will know it. It is a beautiful sight and an excellent picture location. The hike is not strenuous and could be done in just over an hour if one was in a hurry, although I recommend allowing two hours or a little more because of all of the great sights along the way and of course the final point at the end.

Natosha Sheaffer (62)

3 Completed1 Reviews

This trail was beautiful! It had just snowed a couple days before, but the weather was a perfect 60 degrees. What a combination for a great hike. The only thing I found to be confusing at times was the trail wasn't always clear to follow. I had to backtrack a couple times to make sure I was going on the right path. Also to get there I almost felt like I was lost, because there were little signs to point you in the right direction. All in all will definitely have to make another trip during fall!

Thanh Cramer (651)

25 Completed14 Reviews

I really enjoyed this hike. Plenty of rock formations along the bluff to sit and chill out on. Obviously, be careful climbing around. Quite windy at the top, fun to sit near the tip of the bill. Not too far ahead of great photo vantage points.

Support