Hemmed in Hollow

#1 of 22 trails in Buffalo National River

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Hemmed in Hollow is a 5 mile out and back trail located near Compton, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for camping & hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jake T. (121)

The hike was challenging but the final destination (and several spots along the way) made it well worth it. The falls can be reached multiple ways (by canoe on the Buffalo followed by a 1 mile hike, by way of Centerpoint trail, or by way of the Compton Trailhead which is the route me and my friends chose to take. The route we took was almost completely downhill heading toward the falls as it lies at the bottom of the valley. The falls can be spotted about 2 miles in but to reach the base, you must keep going. Don't worry the scenery is beautiful along the way. We stopped several times at the bottom of the canyon to take pictures of great waterfalls that laid alongside the trail. The falls itself was very neat. The volume of water is not large but the 250 drop overshadows that. There is even a ledge about a third of the way up the waterfall that one can hike up to and stand behind -- it makes for a great picture spot! The climb back to the trailhead is steep, but if you take several breaks along the way it is not bad at all. We actually made it out quicker than we came down.

Allison Pederson (157)

17 Completed1 Reviews

This is one of the most challenging trails you can find. I'm in pretty good shape and it was a struggle hiking out of the hollow. Stopped for many rest breaks. If you can hike in from canoeing on the river, do that!

Trent Van Buskirk (162)

7 Completed5 Reviews

Nice hike but very steep in places, it would be difficult in the rain. One of the greatest places for views and the two waterfalls run year round. Parking is limited and was full even in the winter.

Restless Ecstasy (148)

13 Completed3 Reviews

Honza Fedak (1440)

107 Completed6 Reviews

Nice even though not very long hike. Fall colors and the river made this hike memorable. There was very little water in the waterfall; I need to come back in the spring to see it in full glory.

On the way back, I got lost and had to whack through some brushes and climb a few steep slopes and rocks to get back on trail. That definitely added adventure and some difficulty to the hike :-)

Toni Garner (127)

10 Completed4 Reviews

We went in at the Compton trail head and did the 7.4 mile loop. The waterfall was amazing. The trail along the creek to the waterfall was also great with several smaller falls. I have to say that I may never take this trail again because the hike out was so difficult. Please make sure that you save plenty of daylight hours to get out because you will have to stop to rest a few times. By the time I got back to the trail head, I felt that I had climbed an 80 story building with no elevator.

Jen York (4033)

61 Completed30 Reviews

This is a very amazing place! Unique and breathtaking. Literally. The hike in is 2.5 miles down. And then 2.5 up. Up the entire way. I am a fit person and it's a bit torturous for me. Last time I actually got sick afterward though I was well hydrated.

Just be careful. Bring snacks, water, and electrolytes for during and afterward. Oh and toilet paper for ladies just in case. Plan on spending time at the waterfall and for resting several times on the way up. Try to go when the water has been high and/or after a very good rain. Otherwise, it's not worth the work! You can also get to this by floating the upper buffalo much more easily.

DANNY MEYER (270)

15 Completed14 Reviews

Not to difficult and a wonderful hike.

Bob Wharton (8797)

295 Completed297 Reviews

Two thumbs up !
Way up !
Enjoy !

Mike C (3344)

74 Completed27 Reviews

This was an excellent hike! Great for fitness, and great for the scenery. I was amazed at the fall, and the surrounding rock formations, as it was unlike anything I've seen before. The trail was also excellent, and going back to the trailhead was a great workout. We opted to take a steeper route just off to the side of the fall. The alternate route is very difficult and poorly marked, but well worth the effort for its views and time savings.

JB Trading Co. in Compton gave us great intel on the trail, and a great burger after the hike!

Support