Hemmed in Hollow

#1 of 21 trails in Buffalo National River

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Hemmed in Hollow is a 5 mile out and back trail located near Compton, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for camping & hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Honza Fedak (918)

104 Completed4 Reviews

Nice even though not very long hike. Fall colors and the river made this hike memorable. There was very little water in the waterfall; I need to come back in the spring to see it in full glory.

On the way back, I got lost and had to whack through some brushes and climb a few steep slopes and rocks to get back on trail. That definitely added adventure and some difficulty to the hike :-)

Toni Garner (127)

10 Completed4 Reviews

We went in at the Compton trail head and did the 7.4 mile loop. The waterfall was amazing. The trail along the creek to the waterfall was also great with several smaller falls. I have to say that I may never take this trail again because the hike out was so difficult. Please make sure that you save plenty of daylight hours to get out because you will have to stop to rest a few times. By the time I got back to the trail head, I felt that I had climbed an 80 story building with no elevator.

Jen York (3183)

44 Completed26 Reviews

This is a very amazing place! Unique and breathtaking. Literally. The hike in is 2.5 miles down. And then 2.5 up. Up the entire way. I am a fit person and it's a bit torturous for me. Last time I actually got sick afterward though I was well hydrated.

Just be careful. Bring snacks, water, and electrolytes for during and afterward. Oh and toilet paper for ladies just in case. Plan on spending time at the waterfall and for resting several times on the way up. Try to go when the water has been high and/or after a very good rain. Otherwise, it's not worth the work! You can also get to this by floating the upper buffalo much more easily.

DANNY MEYER (270)

15 Completed14 Reviews

Not to difficult and a wonderful hike.

Bob Wharton (8753)

293 Completed293 Reviews

Two thumbs up !
Way up !
Enjoy !

Mike C (3069)

70 Completed25 Reviews

This was an excellent hike! Great for fitness, and great for the scenery. I was amazed at the fall, and the surrounding rock formations, as it was unlike anything I've seen before. The trail was also excellent, and going back to the trailhead was a great workout. We opted to take a steeper route just off to the side of the fall. The alternate route is very difficult and poorly marked, but well worth the effort for its views and time savings.

JB Trading Co. in Compton gave us great intel on the trail, and a great burger after the hike!

Steve Holmes (74)

10 Completed1 Reviews

The trail is a nice decent you will defiantly think about the trip back up especially of you have a 50 lbs. pack that you will be carrying on the assent back up.. The hidden gem is an old home stead that's at the bottom. It has a story behind it and you can actually walk thru the old house, just be respectful and leave the place as you found it. All in all the hike is a great hike.

Clint Toliver (107)

9 Completed5 Reviews

The sign at the trail head says the trail is steep and strenuous, and it wasn't lying. Awesome hike though, with great views of the falls along the way down. Will hike this one again for sure.

Adam Goglia (101)

11 Completed4 Reviews

Great hike - definitely challenging coming back up! Glad I took the time while visiting!

Daniel Frew (1542)

52 Completed52 Reviews

Made this hike a few times from Compton Trail head. Its best in the cooler weather. While your in the area take Erbie road another couple of mile and hike Hideout Hollow.

Support