Lost Valley Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 2 trails in Lost Valley State Park
Lost Valley Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ponca, AR that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

kid friendly hiking walking cave forest river waterfall rocky no dogs
Hide Map

Lost Valley Campground is located near Ponca, southwest of Harrison, Arkansas. The trail is accessible year-round. The trails is 2.4 miles round trip. Best done in late fall or early spring for a more spectacular look at the water falls. Trail is very scenic, rated easy Note this area is heavily visited on the weekends. Best visited during the week if you want a little solitude. Trail ranges from crushed rock to natural services. The most scenic area of the trail is more demanding but worth it.

Posey Wilson
20 minutes ago

1 Completed1 Reviews

Make sure to bring a head lamp to take back into Eden falls cave, get all the way back there, totally worth it!

Troy Hall

2 Completed2 Reviews

Amazing place. Great place to explore off the beaten path. Beautiful to explore just after a nice rain.

Charity Winnett

7 Completed5 Reviews

Beautiful, simple well maintained trail. The sites are spectacular! The only downfall is it's very populated, so trying to enjoy and take pictures of everything might be difficult. A lot of hills and to get down to the waterfall you will have to climb over boulders.

Jacob Maynard

5 Completed5 Reviews

Beautiful scenery and a very easy/family friendly hike. They even have several benches along the way in case you need to take a break. We will definitely be back sometime to finish exploring the cave at the end. A few drawbacks though: The first half of the hike is a packed gravel trail and there were even some concrete stairs towards the end. Made it feel very artificial to me and took away from the natural beauty of the place. Also, we went in Mid-April, and the creek and waterfalls were almost 100% dry. Hopefully it was just a bad week to be there.

Matthew Blystone

1 Completed1 Reviews

This trail is the bomb. Tons of boulders to climb around on, fun caving, beautiful waterfalls, and I ever found a decomposed deer skull for my bone collection.

Andrea Goulet

9 Completed9 Reviews

Great easy hike. Have done this trail several times since I was little. Great for kids and beginners. The cave and waterfall are a must see.

Gunnar Rathbun

11 Completed3 Reviews

This was the first hike I remember taking as a child. I've done it some 6 times in my life and it never ceases to be fun and beautiful!
The trail is much nicer and easier to hike now than it used to be, about half of the trail is now hard packed gravel. Its a great beginner trail and is usually the first trail I take people who have never been to Arkansas before. I has a little bit of everything, towering bluff lines, caves, and beautiful waterfalls.

KoDee Browning

41 Completed13 Reviews

David Marshall

1 Completed1 Reviews

Short and beautiful. Bring a flashlight for the cave at the end.

Mike Harp

18 Completed3 Reviews

Great Trail for a family hike. Nice cave at the very end but pretty tight spaces. The cave is not for the claustrophobic.

Vanessa Davis

19 Completed2 Reviews

This trail is a lot of lovely in a small package.

Vanessa Davis

19 Completed2 Reviews

This trail is a lot of lovely in a small package.

parker Hall

1 Completed1 Reviews

Excellent trail. Great if you have kids, it's like a natural jungle gym. Only downside is pets are not allowed.

Matt C.

It was a beautiful trail. Unfortunately when I visited the area it was pouring rain most the day, everyday so we didn't hike as much as we wanted. The rain made the falls amazing though.

Evan Bishop

7 Completed4 Reviews

By far one of the most scenic and beautiful trails I have been on! So much to see and the trails are well maintained. My only complaint is your not allowed to camp there, which is a bummer. But what a great way to spend a part of your day! wold reccomend going through the cave at the end to see the falls in the cave, it gets a little tight and wet but so worth it! MAKE SURE TO BRING A HEADLAMP!

Derek Baad

3 Completed3 Reviews

As others have said, it is a short, relatively easy hike with a lot to see and do along the way. I have a 12 and an 8 year old, and we spent about three hours here climbing on boulders, exploring Eden Cave, and marveling at the scenery. The only downside is that the trail was heavily used the day we were on it, but we still managed to find some space and enjoy ourselves!

Eddie Shaffer

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike! We had a variety of ages with us two teenagers and two toddlers and everyone had a great time. Great trails for littles and plenty to explore for olders. We did take our dogs and there was signage that said no pets so felt bad but after driving all the way up there we were not going to leave our dog in the car. Spent a good 4 hours hiking exploring and having a great time.

Marianne Bassinger

16 Completed17 Reviews

For this to only be a short 1.9 mile hike, it took my daughter and I 4 hours to complete. Very easy trail,but a lot of places to take my photos. That's why it took us 4 hours lol. Ok with that being said. Easy trail,beautiful scenery lots to explore. We took the low trail to Eden Falls,natural Bridge and to the cave. Once you get to the natural bridge make you you explore it all the way threw just as the cave once you get to the entrance of the cave you have to jump over the stream on the formation (which is slippery) so be careful there once you get in the cave there is running water throughout it to get to the water fall you can go 2 different ways one if you don't want to crawl stay to your right then it comes to a opening that you have to bend way down under it opens up to the part you have to crawl threw if you dont want to go that route go back where you came out of but dont go back the way you came in once you go back under go left threw a narrow passage and once you get out of that in front of you is the waterfall entrance make sure you bring head lamps or flashlights so you can see the beauty of it all we seen several bats coming right at us and alot hanging ..if you get a chance turn your lights off and enjoy the peace the cave and waterfall gives you. On the way back off the trail we took the high trail which leads to another small falls over green moss which you can also go threw the small dripping and stand behind the water..I would totally recommend this trail..

Cathy C.

We have been to many trails in Arkansas, this is our new favorite!

Ashley Carper Dickson

2 Completed2 Reviews

Our 3 kids (ages 7, 5, and 3) were able to do this trail with very little help. The 3rd old needed a hand now and then, but overall, it's great for children. The cave at the top was definitely the highlight, since we saw bats! Beautiful waterfalls too, but the water was a bit low when we were there.