Pinnacle Mountain Base Loop

#1 of 7 trails in Pinnacle Mountain State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Pinnacle Mountain Base Loop is a 3.5 mile loop trail located near Little Rock, Arkansas and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Drew Jones (565)

29 Completed11 Reviews

While this side is deemed the easy side the hike up is steep and long. The majority of the trail is basically walking up stairs. That being said anyone can make it up this side while maintaining their own pace. Again though the view is totally worth it.

Nicky S. (203)

Start from the west side/main entrance at the covered bridge. 190 odd steps later you have the option of base trail left 2.0 mi right 1.5 mi or west summit up .75 mi to 1100' This trail consists of large rocks arranged in a stairway style. Base trail is marked 1-29 CW. Left side has quite a few rocks and is more interesting/challenging than the undulating half mile shorter right.
The east summit has it's own parking lot if you wish. It is also .75 mi to summit. It merely has more and longer vertical than the west and larger rocks. I prefer to go up the west down the east and then choose betwixt the longer north or shorter south back. There are several options depending on skill level and time. If in fairly decent shape you can go CCW at base to east side and up knocking out the harder side first. From there determine if you need to go down the easier west side or go back the east side then choose 1.5 or 2 mi base back to the west trail head. From there you can walk back to the auto and grab more water or use the bathroom facilities if needed. Or, if you're good to go walk up the easier west side. I use Pinnacle as a stage for longer hikes at times, but it is most rewarding in it's own respect. Early mornings or late afternoon during the week are lower volume w/quite a bit of traffic on nice weekends. Gates open at 6:30 daily and closes .5 hour after dusk. No camping, dogs on leash & 4' standing red water faucets in the picnic area on the west side. The water fountains at the covered bridge are not functional & the visitor center is still yet to be finished.

Lois Miller (94)

6 Completed3 Reviews

There is an easy side, and a hard side. My friends and I took on the hard side on a cold January morning for my birthday. It was a foggy morning, and made for a beautiful sunrise.
We were freezing, however, we loved the view and would definitely do it again.

Nicholas Ring (411)

16 Completed16 Reviews

Easy hike and at the right time of day you can catch some fantastic pictures.

Brittany Pringle (127)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Don't know what we were thinking, went up the hard way only to realize getting back down that way would be too difficult. Went down the 'easy' side to have to do half of the base trail to get back to the car. Great views, but I wish I had been more realistic as to what my skill level is.

Rob Walker (145)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Not a bad trail. Short but a bit of a challenge if you stray from the trail.

Kathryn Oliver (197)

4 Completed3 Reviews

This is a pretty trail that may be good for light running or just cool down hiking from the Mountain. I climbed Pinnacle on the east side, went down on the west side and took the base trail back to the parking lot where we started. Id say it's easy/moderate from a terrain perspective; has great views of the river and is completely covered with trees.

charles collier (61)

5 Completed1 Reviews

we go here anytime we r close to it fun

Brooke Moody (235)

21 Completed1 Reviews

I grew up in little rock with this gem of a mountain practically in my back yard. It's a great hike that can be done more than once in one visit for a good workout or you can take your family and enjoy not only the mountain and trails and picnic areas but also the playgrounds and about a half an acre of land to run around and play ball or relax on a blanket.
Stick to the main side if you are beginner and take the natural steps or try the other side for more of a rock climbing (no gear required) feel. Much harder. either way it's a beautiful park and the top views are breathtaking.

David Smith (306)

10 Completed10 Reviews

We hit this several times a year. Nice connection between the East and West Summit Trails, making for a great loop hike.
There are many options, but this is what our family (5 kids) typically does: We park on the the West Summit side (the big area, with a playground and bathrooms). We hike the easy Base Trail to the East Summit. After a that relatively easy stroll, the kids are excited to scramble up some rocks. We enjoy the summit for awhile and then make a liesurely descent on the West Summit Trail where bathrooms and a playground awaits.

Support