Bassi Falls - El Dorado Natl Forest

#5 of 135 trails in Eldorado National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

easy, short hike to incredible waterfall

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jay Norton (287)

7 Completed7 Reviews

If you are in the area early spring or summer this is a good place to explore.The road to the trail head is rugged, recommend at least awd and/or vehicles with high clearance-Dont go down this road if your towing anything.Parking is limited.If you can get there this is a short hike, easy for adults and if you have kids they should be able to complete it without to much trouble, the return hike up is fairly steep.There is a waterfall at the end of the trail and the crystalline clear water that flows into a series of small pools are great to wade in.Leave the fishing pole at home or in the car, I did not see even a brookie here.Some moron- (s) ? left a substantial amount of trash here the day we visted,beer cans-bottles ect. a good way to get yourself a broken nose or worse if I see you leaving this kinda crap laying around- so pack it in pack it out you scumbags! In the spring snow melt trickles over the exposed granite and the small wildflowers are a pleasure to behold, the creek is fairly safe to swim in though a bit cold.This is a great hike if your passing through or live fairly close to the Eldorado National Forest region.

Carol Cotton (1114)

11 Completed11 Reviews

A beautiful short hike to a gorgeous waterfall. I went three times in one week! I'll definitely go back again and again! I'm including a link to the third of these hikes. The other two are also blogged here, as well.

Rob H (78)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Chris Slack (83)

1 Completed1 Reviews

We had two 4x4 trucks. Wouldn't try the drive in a car. Did the hike on May 26th. Lots of water. We had four kids aged 2-5. Great for kids!

Jack Peterson (87)

2 Completed2 Reviews

A really easy hike to the falls. Parking is tricky is a lot of people are there. Also finding the right FS road can get you going in circles!

Bonnie Y. (101)

My husband and I went today. Beautiful area. As others have said the trail over Granite slab is not marked but if you listen you can hear the falls... just follow the sound. Water flow was low due to the time of year but still beautiful. Many shallow areas to swim /splash in. Just kick off your shoes and cool your feet in the water while you enjoy the beautiful scenery. I highly recommend!

Victoria Ritter (189)

11 Completed3 Reviews

This is a sweet waterfall with lots of room to sit and admire the scene! Very short easy walk but be careful, the rocks with just a little bit of water flowing over them can be slick!

Millie Coulombe (325)

6 Completed3 Reviews

I was ready to get going and talked a group a friends and family into this short jaunt. Like others have said the way to the trail isn't marked, but that probably what helps keep it looking nice. We got turned around and found a park ranger at the lake who gave me some of the best directions, go over two concrete bridges, once you go over the second take the first right and follow the road to the end. Those are the directions that got us there! The trip down wasn't bad at all. We were one of the first groups of people, and my cousins 8 and 2 year olds did it quite easily. My brother was a monkey and jumped rocks. Both my brother and grandma decided to climb to the top, which I'm told required some rock climbing. A friend from work played in the water looking for gold and took pictures. I took loads of pictures and just enjoyed the sound and feel of the cool running water. After a couple of hours, and a large hiking group later, it was time to pack up and head back to the cars, my cousin's son said " When are we going to come back?!?!" It was a good trip. One thing to note, try to stay on the original granite "trail". We went off trail which resulted in a pretty hard fall on the slick wet rocks - I was bruised on my shins for a week!

Dwn2Earth W. (56)

Great Falls!! Went on a Saturday, mid April, after a weeks rainy storm. The Falls were beautiful. Not many people there maybe 3-4 families. The Hike was easy. Great hike if you have children. Lots of places to sit, eat lunch, enjoy the waterfalls, the stream, and rapids. Several places to put your feet in the water and enjoy the breath taking view.

Jacob Petway (535)

13 Completed4 Reviews

This was one of the places that I was fortunate enough to grow up with. My pop use to take us a couple of weekends a month. We have done hiking, camping, four-wheeling, and climbing the falls. When we first used to camp there the site was still a small secret. Over the years the secret certainly grew and it has changed much since I first took in its beauty.

Support