Bassi Falls - El Dorado Natl Forest

Pollock Pines, CA
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

easy, short hike to incredible waterfall

It is an easy 10 minute walk from the parking area to the falls. But the trail is not all that clear. At first the trail is easy to follow, but soon reaches an open area, where you have to make your way over granite rock, and the trail becomes indistinct. But it is not hard to find the falls because you can clearly hear it, and eventually you will see it from a distance away. When we were here on a Sunday afternoon in early May, there were surprisingly quite a few cars parked at the trailhead.

When you reach the base of Bassi Falls, you will be treated to an awesome view of the entire 120 ft. cascade. Later in the summer, there is really not much to see, as Bassi Creek becomes a mere fragment of its former self.

For more info, see my website.

Note: this hike is only in the newest edition of "California Waterfalls" (A. Brown) below.

From Hwy #50 about 20 miles east of Placerville, turn left (north) onto Ice House Rd (Forest Road 3). Drive 16.6 miles on Ice House Rd. to Union Valley Reservoir. Turn right onto an unmarked dirt road (Road 12N32A), just after crossing the bridge over Big Silver Creek (opposite Big Silver group camp). Drive 0.2 miles to a junction and turn left. Then drive 0.8 miles to
another junction and turn right. Drive another 0.7 miles to the trailhead at the end of the road (total 1.7 miles along the dirt road).

El Dorado Natl Forest, (916) 644-2324

11 Completed 11 Reviews

A beautiful short hike to a gorgeous waterfall. I went three times in one week! I'll definitely go back again and again! I'm including a link to the third of these hikes. The other two are also blogged here, as well.

Icon_

3 Completed 3 Reviews

1 Completed 1 Reviews

We had two 4x4 trucks. Wouldn't try the drive in a car. Did the hike on May 26th. Lots of water. We had four kids aged 2-5. Great for kids!

Icon_aec51fe950d962af2fdf05d9aab93ea0

2 Completed 2 Reviews

A really easy hike to the falls. Parking is tricky is a lot of people are there. Also finding the right FS road can get you going in circles!

Bonnie Yarbrough

2 Completed 2 Reviews

My husband and I went today. Beautiful area. As others have said the trail over Granite slab is not marked but if you listen you can hear the falls... just follow the sound. Water flow was low due to the time of year but still beautiful. Many shallow areas to swim /splash in. Just kick off your shoes and cool your feet in the water while you enjoy the beautiful scenery. I highly recommend!

11 Completed 3 Reviews

This is a sweet waterfall with lots of room to sit and admire the scene! Very short easy walk but be careful, the rocks with just a little bit of water flowing over them can be slick!

6 Completed 3 Reviews

I was ready to get going and talked a group a friends and family into this short jaunt. Like others have said the way to the trail isn't marked, but that probably what helps keep it looking nice. We got turned around and found a park ranger at the lake who gave me some of the best directions, go over two concrete bridges, once you go over the second take the first right and follow the road to the end. Those are the directions that got us there!

The trip down wasn't bad at all. We were one of the first groups of people, and my cousins 8 and 2 year olds did it quite easily. My brother was a monkey and jumped rocks. Both my brother and grandma decided to climb to the top, which I'm told required some rock climbing. A friend from work played in the water looking for gold and took pictures. I took loads of pictures and just enjoyed the sound and feel of the cool running water.

After a couple of hours, and a large hiking group later, it was time to pack up and head back to the cars, my cousin's son said " When are we going to come back?!?!" It was a good trip. One thing to note, try to stay on the original granite "trail". We went off trail which resulted in a pretty hard fall on the slick wet rocks - I was bruised on my shins for a week!

Dwn2Earth Wm

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great Falls!! Went on a Saturday, mid April, after a weeks rainy storm. The Falls were beautiful. Not many people there maybe 3-4 families. The Hike was easy. Great hike if you have children. Lots of places to sit, eat lunch, enjoy the waterfalls, the stream, and rapids. Several places to put your feet in the water and enjoy the breath taking view.

13 Completed 4 Reviews

This was one of the places that I was fortunate enough to grow up with. My pop use to take us a couple of weekends a month. We have done hiking, camping, four-wheeling, and climbing the falls. When we first used to camp there the site was still a small secret. Over the years the secret certainly grew and it has changed much since I first took in its beauty.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

A delightful waterfall! A short jaunt through a wooded area and then down the rocky hill to the base. A bit of a drive off 50 to get there, but worth it.

Support