Bear Canyon Loop Trail

#4 of 115 trails in Cleveland National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Bear Canyon Loop Trail is a 6.5 mile loop trail located near Lake Elsinore, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Joey Kidd (38)

1 Completed1 Reviews

great view, watch out for the water tank on the way, DO NOT DRINK WATER FROM IT. we found a dead rat there. love the place thou

Tom Mullins (81)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail, did it as an out and back to four corners. Rested briefly at four corners with my dogs who quickly were stung by super aggressive red ants which seemed to be everywhere at that location. Made for a little discomfort but they pushed through and completed the hike with out further incident. Definitely want to come back and complete the hike as a loop just to see the other terrain.

Paul G. (199)

Pretty nice trail/loop! Gets pretty warm in the afternoon, but there's a little breeze help cool you down once you get a little elevation. The ridge trail is a little overgrown in places so wear pants or use poles to push the shrubs off the path.

Carlos Abrille (261484)

465 Completed433 Reviews

AllTrails app for some reason was buggy in this area, tracking did not save and cell reception was weak at Bear Canyon Loop Trail but was perfect at San Juan Loop Trail. Original plan was to loop around Verdugo Truck Trail and descend at Morgan Trail to return to the parking lot, but Verdugo Truck Trail was just a total mess, a complete jungle, it was wretched, irritating and annoying, had to bail and retreat. Will have to return in the future and explore Bear Canyon loop. The views were indeed panoramic ascending, especially at the west and south made up for the disappointment at Verdugo.

John Savage (254)

14 Completed13 Reviews

This was my first time on a trail around the Ortega Hwy. I couldn't find the trail I was initially going to. Ended up on a dirt road on private property behind Hell's Kitchen! Got the heck out of there, drove down the road and saw a couple of guys parked in a turn out with hiking gear. They guided me to the Candy Store down the road for better trail information. The ladies there were very nice and informative of all the trails this area offers. Gave me print outs of trails and all. So I decided to take the Bear Canyon Loop trail. Parking is directly across the street from the Candy Store. You do need a pass which you can purchase at the store. I have an ankle issue because I sprained it awhile back. The longest hikes I have done is around 5 miles total because my ankle swells up and makes it very difficult to hike when in pain. However, I decided to do the loop. I did pretty well and loved how quite it was all around me. I actually felt alone. I made it to the 4 corners and thought," I'm not hurting that bad so why not try to go to the peak? The peak is 1.7 miles from this point. Once I got to the sign that points to the peak, all I could do was look up! This did not even look like a trail! It looked like a water drainage path only? This was the hardest short distance in all of the hike. If you stand straight up, you will fall over. That is how step it is. Alot of sticker bushes. At times I thought I would stop and turn around but didn't want to waste how far I've already gone. So I pushed ahead and all of a sudden, you are at the top! It was worth it! Beautiful view of the ocean, Catalina ,Long Beach and all. It was a nice clear day. After awhile of resting and eating, I realized it was going to be tuff on the way back. The steep part of this peak really did a number on my ankle, especially on the way down. I was in pain the whole 5 miles back. Had to sop at least 5 times just to rest my ankle. Animals? All I saw was a few lizards in the morning. On the way back I heard a few bees flying around me but no stings. I did notice on my way back around 1:00pm, their were a lot of lizards catching sun on the trails and ran away as I approached. I realized I saw no snakes and knew seeing the lizards soaking up the sun, the snakes were about ready to start coming out soon. This trail, especially up the peak, looks like it could be snake heaven. I will definitely keep an eye out as the weather is starting to warm up! Will I go again? Yes, and bring my friends.

Giselle O'Reilly (776)

13 Completed16 Reviews

I absolutely loved this hike. The trail was easy to follow, junctions were marked with signs, and there was enough shade (here and there) to help me cool off. There were bees during one portion of the trail, but they left us alone and hovered near their flowers.The different terrain gives a little variety to the hike as well. During the hike, my group of five crossed path with one couple, one solitary trail runner, and two men on horses. It was very peaceful! MAKE SURE YOU BUY YOUR DAY PASS AT THE CANDY STORE AT THE TRAILHEAD. THEY DO CHECK AND TICKET CARS!

Roxane B. (475)

Jeff & Colleen Greene (1253)

31 Completed36 Reviews

Not the most scenic or most exciting hike, but on a pleasantly cool late Winter or early Spring day, the Bear Canyon-Bear Ridge Loop makes a nice 7 mile hike through an interesting variety of terrain and habitat in the Cleveland National Forest. (Date hiked: March 12, 2011.) Read the full write-up at: http://www.greeneadventures.com/2011/03/23/bear-canyon-bear-ridge-loop-a-nice-hike-on-a-nice-day/

Emily Mazzetti (564)

11 Completed4 Reviews

Great trail, not as difficult as we expected. Loved all the different types of terrain, wasn't too crowded either. Our only complaint was the bugs, so maybe bring some bug spray. Other than that, great little hike! We are looking forward to coming back and doing the peak next time!

Joey Hunter (1428)

18 Completed7 Reviews

This trail is a very good cross section of the different terrain in the coastal mountains of Southern California. Sitton peak is one of the best vantage points for the work involved. It's pretty easy to get to from 4 corners which is the turn around spot for the loop.

Support