Black Star Canyon Trail

#1 of 7 trails in Limestone Canyon Regional Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Black Star Canyon is a 6 mile out and back trail located near Silverado, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but should be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Romalyne Villar (336)

13 Completed3 Reviews

I absolutely love this hike! Once you get to the trail that follows along the river bed its shady, luscious and great for hopping and running through the rocks. 4-5 miles along the trail, the rocks are now huge boulders and requires some scrambling. The waterfall was dried up when we went but made the climb up in the cave easy. A rope hangs from the top of the cave opening and when climbed lets you stand on top of the middle portion of the waterfall. Really fun! and we even saw what seemed to be red salamanders living in the collection of water in the cave. On the right of the waterfall was another trail leading up. A cord was attached to a tree and was useful getting up the slippery slope due to loose sand. This trail takes you to the top of the waterfall and continuing further are more huge boulders to scramble through. Great hike and not much foot traffic.

Katherine Smith (282)

7 Completed6 Reviews

I would have given this a five star, had we gone after it rained. The riverbed was bone dry, not surprisingly, which made for a more easy hike to Blackstar Canyon Falls since that portion of the trail is basically the riverbed itself, but as you can guess there were no falls to be found this time of year! There were a decent number of people, mountain bikers and hikers, using the trail that day but it is so spread out that you only see people intermittently. We did see lots of birds - yes even peacocks! - lizards, a baby snake and bees (when you see the swarm of bees don't be scared, just walk around them and they will leave you alone). I suggest starting out early if you go in the summertime, maybe 6 or 7am, before the sun comes out and roasts you. Even though there are a good amount of trees, once you get close to noon obviously there's not much shade and it gets HOT. We did the Falls trail and overall took us about 3 hours on paved and dirt roads, plus a bit of boulder climbing and walking through brush. Overall, a nice peaceful hike with a few interesting sights to see, moderate difficulty, through the canyon.

Ty McMullen (472)

16 Completed16 Reviews

Defiantly a must do!

Chris Walker (81)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is awesome for mountain biking. 7.5 miles uphill to beeks place, then 7.5 miles downhill. I stash a gallon of water about half way when I go up right by the trail split where you can head to the waterfall if anybody needs to replenish.

Chris Leschke (906)

16 Completed15 Reviews

We did this hike back to where the falls are. Don't expect much water unless you go after a period of sustained rain. Also, getting back there requires hiking up the stream bed and doing some serious climbing over rocks and boulders in several sections. All in all, it was a pretty cool and at times weird hike. Along the access road there was everything from old abandoned cars, to shacks which appear to be occupied by squatters and even peacocks. Yes, that's right, in one section of the trail there was a group of peafowl roaming around freely. It was definitely an interesting day. My biggest complaint is how heavily used the trail is. We ran into a group of people almost every 5-10 minutes along the way. If I wanted to spend the day with so many people I could have gone to a nearby park.

Laura Jean Brantley (337)

17 Completed14 Reviews

It's decent for Orange County, but whoever said to bring their dogs was not aware of the dozens of snakes everywhere. I wouldn't advise it. Also, it's more of a rock climb than a hike. Don't wear shorts. It's a nice day outing, stay hydrated. Expect sun.

David Plescia (66)

2 Completed1 Reviews

This hike was a good time. Driving directions were clear and parking was easy. Like other reviewers have said, the first half (or if you miss the creek bed trail - all of) it is more or less a dirt road that is not all that exciting. However, once you reach the creek trail (look to your right when the trail switches back to the left), things get much more interesting. The creek bed hike to the waterfall took about an hour (we were enjoying the trail) and started with puddle-jumping but quickly got to boulder-hopping. If you are going to do this portion of the trail, I would recommend shoes with ankle support. Also - keep an eye out for poison oak - there's plenty of it around! The waterfall was dry when we got there, but still made for a good backdrop for some pictures. I'm sure it is a sight to see after a good rain! We decided to climb the dirt trail to the right of the waterfall. I would not recommend this unless you have some experience with climbing and some safety gear. The dirt is quite loose, and there are some rather significant drops should you lose your footing. However, the view from the top is spectacular (and a little creepy - there was a wooden cross standing in a pile of rocks). As far as we could tell, there were no trails at the top, and you are immediately surrounded by thorny brush. We had no choice but to head back down. This was my first hike using trekking poles, and I have to say that they came in very handy on this trail.

Shange Petrini (427)

6 Completed5 Reviews

I'm biased against "hiking trails" that are actually bulldozed truck roads. Nonetheless, there are some beautiful pedestrian ravine trails and awesome views from the ridge tops and access to Cleveland National Forest. Nonetheless, crime has been an issue for years, as evidenced by some graffiti, the trail cameras, electric fenses and razor wire of the private property, beer bottles and cans, even many miles up the trail, the numerous shotgun, pistol and rifle shells seen near the trailhead. Oh, and although my junker fixie bike survived two years of Santa Ana and Little Saigon, it didn't survive even an hour of being locked up three miles past the trail head. Walking back to Irvine was an unpleasant extra. Nonetheless, the red rock ridges make it one of my favorite places in the area.

Ariana Cruz (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This trail was amazing! took my two dogs and they loved it!! don't expect to find a waterfall during the summer. It has barely rained in the beautiful social but if its fitness you're interested in than do it!!

Dominic Chaulk (105)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Great yet difficult hike.

Support