Black Star Canyon Trail

#1 of 7 trails in Limestone Canyon Regional Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Black Star Canyon is a 6 mile out and back trail located near Silverado, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but should be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Alejandra Cruz (37)

Brandy Stiles (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Yeah, the walk in is meh. Some real serious high voltage fences along the way to ward off trespassers. I wonder what that was about... But then the actual hike started and the Boulder climbing felt like it would never end! Was a blast!

Rick Lunsford (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Boring walk in, but then it got fun and challenging and hard. Up, down, under, over, climb, slide, etc., as you go up the creek bed to the falls. Do it again? Sure. Wear pants next time, good call.

Jesse M. (95)

AJ Boncaros (406)

15 Completed3 Reviews

Free parking. A short fun hike but was challenging on the way to the falls. Lots of huge rocks. Definitely some climbing involved in the last half mile. Would do it all over again.

Zynette Cohen (47)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Starts off light and easy, but right when you make that right turn it's not easy at all. I loved the challenged of this hike. Climbing huge rocks (it's full body work out) was very fun, but know I will be very very sore tomorrow. I'm already sore. I would go again!

Paul Good (67)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Fun active and scenic hike. From the parking lot (Free) its a few miles of standard hiking. However the fun begins when you drop into the creek bed. From there you can run, skip, hop and climb multiple boulders while crossing back and forth across a small creek. We saw newts and salamanders and a snake. The falls were pretty cool. Not a lot of water but if you went after a heavy rain it would be epic. Definitely an active and technical hike. Hiking boots that protect your ankles are recommended. Also watch out for the poison oak. Its all over the place.

Daniel Valles (333)

13 Completed6 Reviews

Great trail, but pretty vigorous! My gps clocked it at 10.5 miles from the parking lot to the falls and back. Some of the reviews on here describe it as light bouldering and it's certainly a lot tougher than that. It was beautiful inside the cave but be careful coming down, totally slipped and fell on my butt! First 1.5~ miles are pretty boring and light, go right towards the riverbed at the fork and begin the real journey towards the falls. There's another fork later on marked by an unmarked post, head left to go towards the falls, however if you go right there's a nice private enclave that's completely shaded and it was perfect to have lunch at. I'll definitely do this one again!

C.J. Bartholomew (343)

7 Completed3 Reviews

Fun hike. Take note: keep going left at the fork (where there is the old bicycle hanging in the tree) to get to the falls. We didn't make it all the way because we turned right and realized we went the wrong way. Then went left and it started raining before we could make it to the falls. We were prepared for rain but things got really slippery and decided to turn back just to play it safe. I did fall at one point on a slippery rock and luckily was ok. Would hate to have to been carried out by S&R.

Brenda Bourges (40)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome trail for a great workout amidst river bed splendor. I am still sore! It is said to be a 4 hour hike but I powered through in 2 hours 45 minutes. This hike is exactly what I was looking for nearby. If you are into boulders and a good climb, this will be right up your alley.

Pros:
- Rugged for half of the trail
- Beautiful and serene
- Great for avid hikers, yet do-able for the novice enthusiast who is not afraid of a little challenge.
- Free parking
- Many private turns for those who need to take a moment :)
- Doable in under 3 hours if you power through

Cons:
- Slippery when wet
- Not for anyone with joint problems or other more serious physical limitations
- Waterfall may not have water
- Gets busy on the weekends
- First 3 miles or so are on paved and dirt road. Best to ride your bike on this part if you can
- No restrooms...at least I did not see any but I could be wrong :)