Black Star Canyon Trail

#1 of 7 trails in Limestone Canyon Regional Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Black Star Canyon is a 6 mile out and back trail located near Silverado, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but should be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Brenda Bourges (40)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome trail for a great workout amidst river bed splendor. I am still sore! It is said to be a 4 hour hike but I powered through in 2 hours 45 minutes. This hike is exactly what I was looking for nearby. If you are into boulders and a good climb, this will be right up your alley.

Pros:
- Rugged for half of the trail
- Beautiful and serene
- Great for avid hikers, yet do-able for the novice enthusiast who is not afraid of a little challenge.
- Free parking
- Many private turns for those who need to take a moment :)
- Doable in under 3 hours if you power through

Cons:
- Slippery when wet
- Not for anyone with joint problems or other more serious physical limitations
- Waterfall may not have water
- Gets busy on the weekends
- First 3 miles or so are on paved and dirt road. Best to ride your bike on this part if you can
- No restrooms...at least I did not see any but I could be wrong :)

Matt Whitbord (59)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Very fun and easy to moderate trail.

MARIA VERASTEGUI (41)

5 Completed1 Reviews

This is the best hiking trail that I have been on so far. My group took the trail to the falls which goes along the stream. It is really nice to climb some huge boulders. We got to the falls and there was no water, but there were still some caves we climbed into. It was really fun. The full trip was 4.5 hrs to get to the falls. Next time we will try to go right after it rains, so we can see more water.

Jean Huff (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Wow, I'm still in amazement that I was able to accomplish this hike! First off the trail starts as a paved road, but once you get to the first sign marked "Falls" the trail becomes very narrow and rocky! Mind you at this point I'm still feeling that this trail is still doable. About approximately a mile out, the hike turns into a full on Boulder clim, I'm talking the size of small houses!!! I'm moderately active and I do indoor rock climbing, but definitely not in shape for this. Luckily, my endurance and stubbornness pushed me on. We made it and it was marvelous, unfortunately there was no water at the time of year that we hiked the waterfall, but it was still spectacular. There was some really amazing caves to explore and a nice spot to sit and catch your breath for the hike back. It took us exactly 4 hours.

Dalia Wilde (284)

23 Completed5 Reviews

We started this late, which is not recommended unless you want to rush back to the trail while fearing getting stuck in the river bed like I did. Overall the hike is moderately difficult and involves a lot of climbing around rocks. The cave itself is small, and there wasn't a waterfall when I went, but there's a rope in the cave that allows you to climb up to a higher spot. Don't fall into the water like I did. It's pretty gross.

Tommy herrera (191)

3 Completed1 Reviews

I didn't scroll past enough tracks or comments to see or even realize that once you go past the Bridges and see that gazebo you need to keep going straight, don't turn and follow the default trail. I took the trail to the very end and was so close to that white tower thing that seems to taught you the whole way by giving a false sense of hope. I guess I should have realized sooner that waterfalls couldn't be this high. Lol. I stopped and rested in shade a couple times (heat peaked near 100) but overall the trail is amazing .
Not a lot of people and even the bike riders coming down made sure to not go fast

Romalyne Villar (402)

15 Completed3 Reviews

I absolutely love this hike! Once you get to the trail that follows along the river bed its shady, luscious and great for hopping and running through the rocks. 4-5 miles along the trail, the rocks are now huge boulders and requires some scrambling. The waterfall was dried up when we went but made the climb up in the cave easy. A rope hangs from the top of the cave opening and when climbed lets you stand on top of the middle portion of the waterfall. Really fun! and we even saw what seemed to be red salamanders living in the collection of water in the cave. On the right of the waterfall was another trail leading up. A cord was attached to a tree and was useful getting up the slippery slope due to loose sand. This trail takes you to the top of the waterfall and continuing further are more huge boulders to scramble through. Great hike and not much foot traffic.

Katherine Smith (282)

7 Completed6 Reviews

I would have given this a five star, had we gone after it rained. The riverbed was bone dry, not surprisingly, which made for a more easy hike to Blackstar Canyon Falls since that portion of the trail is basically the riverbed itself, but as you can guess there were no falls to be found this time of year!

There were a decent number of people, mountain bikers and hikers, using the trail that day but it is so spread out that you only see people intermittently. We did see lots of birds - yes even peacocks! - lizards, a baby snake and bees (when you see the swarm of bees don't be scared, just walk around them and they will leave you alone).

I suggest starting out early if you go in the summertime, maybe 6 or 7am, before the sun comes out and roasts you. Even though there are a good amount of trees, once you get close to noon obviously there's not much shade and it gets HOT. We did the Falls trail and overall took us about 3 hours on paved and dirt roads, plus a bit of boulder climbing and walking through brush.

Overall, a nice peaceful hike with a few interesting sights to see, moderate difficulty, through the canyon.

Ty McMullen (472)

16 Completed16 Reviews

Defiantly a must do!

Chris Walker (101)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is awesome for mountain biking. 7.5 miles uphill to beeks place, then 7.5 miles downhill. I stash a gallon of water about half way when I go up right by the trail split where you can head to the waterfall if anybody needs to replenish.

Support