Cahuenga Peak Loop

#18 of 196 trails in Angeles National Forest
A 3.1 mile loop with a stop at the Cahuenga Wisdom Tree.

3.65 miles Loop 1087 feet
Hide Map

Dori Gillies

69 Completed60 Reviews

We did the loop clockwise. Be on the lookout for a T junction in the trail that takes you straight up the mountain. We missed it and found ourselves scrambling hands and feet on what looked like a trail...but it just peters out. Once you make the correct right turn you are climbing a full thousand feet. The ridgeline to the wisdom tree is awesome. Almost 360 degree views of LA, the ocean and the valley. Breathtaking! It's fun to build cairns near the wisdom tree. We did the extra bit to the Hollywood sign, I would say skip this part. It takes you behind the sign and you can only see HO. You can't get any closer. We spent a little over two hours on the trail, it was a great workout!

Abigail Christine

8 Completed8 Reviews

The steep climb to the tree is a butt kicker with little shade! Wear a hat and bring lots of water. The views at the top is a killer 360 of LA. The tree is lovely. We kept going to the epic Hollywood sign lookout and looped around via the fire road. A great urban hike!

Rej Hufana

19 Completed1 Reviews

awesome hike! we started from western ave, Griffith observatory and this as our last trail. love the scenery and challenge the climb from Hollywood sign. trying a different route next time.

Jason Pereira

1 Completed1 Reviews

Went on a hot, sunny Sunday afternoon and had the tree all to myself! First time up there, so wasn't sure what to expect. It's a short (about a mile) hike up to the tree, but pretty steep. Had to stop several times to catch my breath! The breezes along the mountainside helped - def take water. Very serene up there. Plenty of stories, notes, words of wisdom and prayers up there, in the stack of notebooks and tags tied to the tree. I just added my words and a prayer for my son to a few of the notebooks. Afterward I did take the trail east towards the Hollywood sign but decided to stop at the peak and take in the vast scenery of the city. It looked to be the highest point in LA, or at least anything south of it in LA County. For sure on my next visit I'll take that trail to the end of where ever it goes! I re-trekked back towards the tree then back down the mountain to my truck on Lake Hollywood Dr., parked about 4 cars from the top. That was about a 3 mile hike. Oh, and there's no signs for the trail, so just walk up Wonder View Dr. (which looks like a private road) past the residences and you'll see the gate / trail entry. Sorry, one more thing - don't leave your trash up there! Take it with you! Enjoy...

Drew Aiello

5 Completed6 Reviews

Gracie M

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great Hike! Great Workout! Definitely broke a sweat. Started the trail off of Wonder View Drive. Bring lots of water. Up my the "Wisdom Tree" you'll find a prayer box where you can write a prayer or note and drop in the locked box. Very nice experience.

Ana Marquez

9 Completed7 Reviews

Daniel Jia

13 Completed13 Reviews

Katarina O'Dette

83 Completed87 Reviews

Great workout with a steep climb up and great views from the top. I've done this twice as a sunrise hike and can't recommend it enough!

Cecilia Martinez

130 Completed17 Reviews

Challenging & amazing hike! We followed the entire loop trail (3 hrs with frequent water stops for the dogs) and loved the steep inclines and the incredible views. I recommend starting really early in morning (due the lack of shade), and bring lots of water and sunscreen.