Cedar Creek Falls Trail

#1 of 3 trails in swartz canyon county park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Cedar Creek Falls Trail is a 4.50 mile out and back trail located near Julian, California that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Luiza Dias (61)

3 Completed1 Reviews

I loved this hike! The view is gorgeous the entire way. Get a parking pass online before you go. Get there early, like 8ish to be finished around 12ish. Bring a lot of water and lunch to eat at the waterfall.The devils punch bowl is a great place to swim. When I went in August the waterfall was dry. The hike back up is a killer, all up hill. Definitely worth going back during rainy seasons.

Michael Lusk (268)

13 Completed13 Reviews

We went early in the morning to beat the heat on the way back. You have to purchase a park pass which you can do using your smart phone. I posted a pic from the parking lot explaining what to do. The park recommends extreme caution but we were fine with a bottle of water. I posted a pic showing the parks warning sign. The hike is all downhill to the falls. The views were great along the way. The falls were not running and the water level was down when we went. We were the first people down there that day. I was able to take several photos of the undisturbed water. The water was too stagnant to swim in at the time. The hike out was all uphill and hot but since we went early and didn't stay long it wasn't that bad.

Anthony Morfin (201)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Monica Tomer (128)

8 Completed3 Reviews

Do not bring dogs this time of year ! Not enough shade for dogs and not enough water ( I brought 8 bottles) . Once we reached the water I threw them in but I would not bring them again they were dying. I would definitely go back (without the dogs) bring lots of water again . I highly recommend this hike, it's a really nice spot down by the falls, even though the fall is pretty much dried up the water pit it still very full, and I love that there wasn't much liter or any graffiti.

Kirstin Olsen (87)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Started this hike around 11:30 PM today it was 98°. The waterfall is not flowing but still went for a dip and got a good work out hiking on the way out. It was crowded at the Punchbowl with the frat boys but what can you expect on the weekends. One ranger was at the trailhead and another was right outside the Punchbowl when we left. I'd love to see this thing flow given enough rainfall. Unclear of what the water source is other than that...

Solomon Chang (134)

5 Completed1 Reviews

Timing is really important for this hike - If you start before 8:00 a.m., you'll see a number of hiking enthusiasts, who'll generally be returning back up at around 9 a.m. There's a lull until about 11 when a large number of other hikers (not necessarily enthusiasts) begin starting their hike.

Victor Mendez (106)

5 Completed4 Reviews

Great hike! The way up was a killer though!
Waterfall wasn't running as much when I got there but still had a great swim!

Troy R. (103)

9 Completed4 Reviews

Nice hike! It cost $6 for each permit, up to 5 people per permit. You start down hill and then on the way out you have to go uphill - nice change! My gps said just under 5.5 miles and it took my wife and I 1:50. Take lots of water! Its hot out there. Saw one snake - not a rattler, but dont know what it was. Almost maroon in color. Anyways. Go do it. Well worth the 6$

Lucas Hoppel (85)

5 Completed3 Reviews

Fantastic hike! The difference between this and many other is instead of hiking up and then down, you hike down to the swimming area and then back up.
There's little shade so ensure you bring a lot of water and sunblock.
Don't get to exhausted swimming and cliff jumping as that hike back can be pretty tough.
Also, you need to get a permit to hike this. They only allow 100 a day I believe it is. You can call when you get there and pay via credit card. They will send you an email which you can show to the ranger from your phone. It was $6/hiker when we hiked.

Nichole Treganowan (110)

17 Completed3 Reviews

The water fall at the end is beautiful but there are large crowds. It seems to be a popular swimming location. You need a day pas to hike this trail. It cost $6 and can be bought on recreation.gov. You will need either a print our of your confirmation to show the ranger or be able to access it from your phone.

Support