Cedar Creek Falls Trail

#1 of 3 trails in swartz canyon county park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Cedar Creek Falls Trail is a 4.50 mile out and back trail located near Julian, California that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

D C. (218)

I think I'm ready to conquer this hike once again. I've learned a few things from my first go at it 5 years ago.

Easy trek down, spent time at the water, but ran out of drinking water on my way back up around 1ish..... It was hot, it was hard for me at the time. Now that I feel a little bit more experienced I think it will be ok.

Patricia Reyes (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Breathtaking hike, with an awesome pool at the bottom of the falls to cool off in. I could spend all afternoon at that falls. Worth the hike!

M. Stopani (327)

10 Completed7 Reviews

We arrived on the Ramona side @ 6:30am. The ranger was already there checking for passes. So don't forget your pass. The walk down was easy and only took about 40 minutes. Just a trickle at the falls but it did not matter. From the mountain view as you descend to the absolutely gorgeous view when we arrived at the falls. The ascent back to the trail head took us 1hour. Figure a little extra time on the return trip. It is all up hill but not that bad since we started early.

Michael Ortiz (418)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Did this hike in mid December with 3 others (two guys and one girl) at a wide range of fitness levels, but all were able to complete the hike no problem.
The scenery was absolutely gorgeous in December, but I imagine that it would be even better in early spring. We started our hike from the Eagle Peak Rd side (33.002460,-116.715046). We then traveled southwest to a trail intersection and took the trail to the falls. The falls was very dry at this time even after it rained the day before, but the sheer beauty of this place made this hike for me. Can't wait to do it again!

Cristian Ardelean (199)

2 Completed1 Reviews

great trail, beautiful scenery.

Luiza Dias (90)

5 Completed1 Reviews

I loved this hike! The view is gorgeous the entire way. Get a parking pass online before you go. Get there early, like 8ish to be finished around 12ish. Bring a lot of water and lunch to eat at the waterfall.The devils punch bowl is a great place to swim. When I went in August the waterfall was dry. The hike back up is a killer, all up hill. Definitely worth going back during rainy seasons.

Michael Lusk (268)

13 Completed13 Reviews

We went early in the morning to beat the heat on the way back. You have to purchase a park pass which you can do using your smart phone. I posted a pic from the parking lot explaining what to do. The park recommends extreme caution but we were fine with a bottle of water. I posted a pic showing the parks warning sign. The hike is all downhill to the falls. The views were great along the way. The falls were not running and the water level was down when we went. We were the first people down there that day. I was able to take several photos of the undisturbed water. The water was too stagnant to swim in at the time. The hike out was all uphill and hot but since we went early and didn't stay long it wasn't that bad.

Anthony Morfin (201)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Monica Tomer (131)

11 Completed3 Reviews

Do not bring dogs this time of year ! Not enough shade for dogs and not enough water ( I brought 8 bottles) . Once we reached the water I threw them in but I would not bring them again they were dying. I would definitely go back (without the dogs) bring lots of water again . I highly recommend this hike, it's a really nice spot down by the falls, even though the fall is pretty much dried up the water pit it still very full, and I love that there wasn't much liter or any graffiti.

Kirstin Olsen (96)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Started this hike around 11:30 PM today it was 98°. The waterfall is not flowing but still went for a dip and got a good work out hiking on the way out. It was crowded at the Punchbowl with the frat boys but what can you expect on the weekends. One ranger was at the trailhead and another was right outside the Punchbowl when we left. I'd love to see this thing flow given enough rainfall. Unclear of what the water source is other than that...

Support