Cedar Creek Falls Trail

#1 of 3 trails in swartz canyon county park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Cedar Creek Falls Trail is a 4.50 mile out and back trail located near Julian, California that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Eugene Kim (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Florence Sarcon (202)

7 Completed8 Reviews

Took this trail yesterday with my boyfriend and dog. We were informed at the entrance by the park ranger that you need to SIGN UP and get PERMIT by going to www.recreation.gov. Fee is $6 covering 6 people, ( dog not needed to pay any fee). This permit is intended to monitor how many people are coming in and they are limited to 75 slots per day so I strongly suggest getting the permit before planning to get here to avoid any frustration in case you just decided to goa nd slots are all filled.

I would say that probably on weekdays it won't be a problem but coming on weekends can be crowded so secure the permit early.
The lady ranger helped me to get it there and there as they won't allow you to enter without the permit number.

The trail is truly wonderful. You will start going down almost spirally about 75% of your trail then the remaining 25% is through the oasis where theres lots of tress as it is by the stream coming from the falls.
We picked a great day as it was raining for 2 days before our hike and it was cloudy too so my dog tolerated the hike well.

Bring lots of water especially for your furry pal. The waterfalls is stunning in its 80 ft beauty. Again, the rain 2 days ago helped to make this waterfall worthwhile to see.
We will come back next time on a weekday, pack a lunch and if the weather is hot enough, will def swim!

Susana Dominguez (83)

5 Completed5 Reviews

I did this hike this morning, we came across 3 snakes. 2 being rattle snakes. Be careful of your surroundings. There is no shade for the most part going down and up the mountain. The scenery is beautiful once you reach the valley part of the trail. Its easy at first going to the waterfall because you are going down. Coming back is the workout part.

Anthony Collins (608)

15 Completed7 Reviews

This is a great Hike. Easy Slopes, Winding zig zag trail for 40 min down and about the same back up. The view is awesome the whole way. Love the waterfall at the end!

Lyndsay Smith (103)

7 Completed2 Reviews

Pleasant walk

Carla Gonzalez Domínguez (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Does anyone know if there is currently water running in the falls?

Don't want to swim in stagnant water!

Thanks! :)

Zawaka Salvini (87)

2 Completed2 Reviews

The dirrection on how to get to this hike are....terible. I live in the area Its much easier to drive into ramona Head northeast on Main St toward 10th St

Turn right at the 1st cross street onto 10th St
0.4 mi

Continue onto San Vicente Rd
6.4 mi

Turn left onto Ramona Oaks Rd
3.0 mi

Continue onto Ramona Oaks Rd
Destination will be on the right
Its at the end of the road.

This hike was actualy published in some magazines and gained recent popularity and you now need a permit to go all the way down to the falls(its around 12$)

D C. (220)

I think I'm ready to conquer this hike once again. I've learned a few things from my first go at it 5 years ago.

Easy trek down, spent time at the water, but ran out of drinking water on my way back up around 1ish..... It was hot, it was hard for me at the time. Now that I feel a little bit more experienced I think it will be ok.

Patricia Reyes (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Breathtaking hike, with an awesome pool at the bottom of the falls to cool off in. I could spend all afternoon at that falls. Worth the hike!

M. Stopani (437)

14 Completed8 Reviews

We arrived on the Ramona side @ 6:30am. The ranger was already there checking for passes. So don't forget your pass. The walk down was easy and only took about 40 minutes. Just a trickle at the falls but it did not matter. From the mountain view as you descend to the absolutely gorgeous view when we arrived at the falls. The ascent back to the trail head took us 1hour. Figure a little extra time on the return trip. It is all up hill but not that bad since we started early.

Support