Cowles Mountain Trail

#1 of 17 trails in Mission Trails Regional Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Cowles Mountain Trail is a 3 mile out and back trail located near San Diego, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running & walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Amanda Bollinger (122)

8 Completed1 Reviews

Parking sucks, the trail is overly crowded, but it's an easy climb.

Jeff M. (202)

Great view but a lot of people on the weekend.

Rose Farris (134)

7 Completed5 Reviews

A great way to get some exercise, but usually the switchbacks are quite crowded with families and dogs.

Randal Doering (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

You start with trying to find parking. The parking lot is small and apparently fills up early in the day, and people park down the street. The trail is narrow, hot and dusty, and we hiked in the hottest part of the day (noon to one pm). There were a lot of people and dogs on the trail, and sometimes large groups went by and it was crowded. But for the most part we had a pleasant experience. This is an easy trail if you're fit. We brought my 5 year old goddaughter on the trail, 3 miles round trip, and she made it just fine with a few rest stops along the way. This is a good trail for kids and dogs. The view from the top is spectacular; you can see downtown San Diego some miles away and can see all the way out to Mexico on a good day. Bring lots of water, and wear clothing suitable to heat and sweat. Use lots of sunblock. A fun experience; I'll be back in the future.

Ben Harris (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Good hike with a very rewarding view of San Diego. Only flaws are the trails are busy and parking is usually difficult to find. My first actual hike in San Diego and it has got me hooked!

Ted Bauer (182)

17 Completed10 Reviews

Pretty view from the top.

Annett Parris (164)

5 Completed3 Reviews

Great my first hike, lately to crowded I like the back side of cowels,

Annett Parris (164)

5 Completed3 Reviews

Like it it I started my first hike there, lately to crowded people running they think is a track field , and you can't enjoy the hike, I rather the back side of cowels is better not a lot if people and u can run with out running in to someone

Paloma Pierce (333)

15 Completed3 Reviews

Way too crowded. People were climbing over the fences and into the sensitive areas. Not a pleasant hike. Felt more like a freeway than a nature hike. For a better experience, continue past Cowles and on to Pyles Peak. The trail is much less crowded and there are some great lookouts.

Hali'a E. (134)

This is a solid hike if you want a good workout or to get some nice views of the city. I recommend going in the evening or early morning because it's cooler and less crowded. Finding parking is the hardest part about this trail.

Support