Dawn Mine Trail

HARD
#2 of 193 trails in Angeles National Forest
l>
Dawn Mine Trail is a 5.1 mile loop trail located near Altadena, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash camping hiking nature trips walking cave forest old growth over grown river scramble views waterfall
Hide Map

Kristina Meza

1 Completed0 Reviews

This hike was so fun! I would totally recommend it if you have a full morning to spare.

Alyssa Gonzales

2 Completed2 Reviews

I enjoyed this hike. We started from the lower parking lot, climbing switchbacks up to the fire road, and down into the actual trail. The trail markers were easy to follow, and I thought the hike to be more exciting than difficult. There was some rock scrambling and climbing that adds character and makes it that much more fun. We didn't make it to the mine due to time restraints, but we're planning on finishing the hike next time!

I was impressed with the amount and friendliness of people I ran into; but with that being said,

1. Please don't leave trash behind. This should be common sense, and while there wasn't tons, we found a bunch of water bottles/plastic that was left behind from others before.

2. If you bring your dog, PLEASE pick up after it. Almost stepped in a few times and it's courteous to do so.

3. When listening to music, put in your headphones. Why do the people in front/behind you need to listen to your music?

I hate to post things like that, but I feel like etiquette is important when you're hiking..

Scott Dungan

1 Completed1 Reviews

A great hike! First, its very close to the east side of town, so you don't have to drive more than 10 minutes from the 210 freeway in Pasadena to get to it. This hike has light bouldering and scrambling, but no bushwhacking, so you don't need to worry about getting scrapped up from branches and thorny plants. It also appears that poison oak is not a problem in the winter, but I would recommend hiking pants on this one.

Like the other posts, just follow the ribbons and stacked rocks. When you see some old pumping equipment jutting out of the side of the river bank, walk up to it. to the left of the equipment is the entrance to the mine.

Irvine Du

9 Completed1 Reviews

daniel wulfestieg

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was a crazy trip. But worth it all the way. Follow the ribbons and 3 stack of rocks. Stay left !! If you plan to enter the mine it is amazing in there me and my friend entered. Be careful tho you will get drenched. Knee high water in some parts. Have fun be safe

Greg Lush

3 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike. Taking the loop clockwise is harder to navigate, look for the stacked rocks. If you take the loop CCW, head towards sunset ridge and go down into the valley to the mine. A bear den exists by a large fallen tree very close to the mine entrance. Pictures linked below.

Samantha Arnett

10 Completed9 Reviews

Brent Alex

Awesome

Carlos Furtado

1 Completed1 Reviews

This has been one of my most enjoyable hikes. The first part of the trail up to the mine (going clockwise) is moderate to perhaps difficult for some. It was dry season but I would be hesitant as to the trails accessibility during the rainy season being that it snakes through and up the river bed at times. It is easy to go off course so I suggest loading the map and trail well before the hike starts on your phone when you have signal and data. After the mine when you get to the road, you should take care for the mountain bikers whom also enjoy the single track on the way back. They were not a problem at all but just simply also enjoying the trail. We made new hiking friends on this hike which was great!

Moises Sainz

16 Completed5 Reviews

via the canyon there's tons of trees and boulders to climb and jump over.If you take the dawn mine trail which begins at the old Dawn train stop, be careful. that trail is not maintained. I recommend to start the hike early and to take some LED flash lights.