Dawn Mine Trail

#1 of 6 trails in Hahamongna Watershed Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Dawn Mine Trail is a 4.4 mile loop trail that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & walking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.
Very beautiful!

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Renee Massie (241)

23 Completed2 Reviews

How did everyone get past the crazy caretaker in Millard campground? I've tried to attempt this trail twice, both times closed and this guy threatened the cops on me when I tried to hop the fence...any suggestions on how to get around?

Greg Lush (102)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail, be ready to do a bunch of low height rock scrambling. Once you pass the cabin make sure that you stay to the right once you head up into the canyons.

Jonathon Hollywood (164)

3 Completed2 Reviews

This is a difficult trail if you goto the actual mine. Boulders, smooth and slick rocks, and erosion. I didn't see any closed trail signs and we ran into a cabin caretaker on the way out at cabin #16.

To get to the mine...

Use your GPS and the alltrails map. It's spot on.

Take the fire road to sunset trail. Follow that to cabin #16. Then you basically follow the creek, back and forth. You will basically follow a bush whacked trail. Look for pink neon trail markers and black arrows spray painted on rocks. Towards the end, you will climb on and around smooth rocks and boulders. Be very careful as they are smooth, and slippery. I have excellent balance and I fell...twice. Follow the trail and GPS, and you are good. Don't do this hike alone.

Bring bug spray.
Map of mine. Can be found via Google images.
Head lamp. High quality.
Extra pair of shoes you can get wet in the mine.
Clean socks.
Three liters of water and a couple peanut butter and jelly sandiches.
Flashlight.
Rope.
Thermal. It was very cold in the mine.

Let someone know before you go, as this is considered dangerous. I felt safe inside, however. If anyone has any questions, message me at Hollywood.Jonathon@gmail.com

Robert Davis (272)

6 Completed3 Reviews

I wasn't able to access the trail from Millard Campground, as the trailhead for Dawn Mine from the Millard campground is close. So we parked at a trail head just up Chaney Trail Road. From there we traveled northeast along a fire road until on the left there was a sign for the Sunset Ridge Trail. We took that path down the ravine until fork, where we took the left trail that went further down into the river bed. That path takes you over an old mining bridge and cabin #16, which puts you right on the Dawn Mine Trail. The trail itself is very fun to hike if you're looking for a challenge. I use the term "trail" lightly, as you more or less traverse through fallen trees, wade through bushes, and climb boulders. Many points the trail is not well defined, but luckily there are many neon flags and spray painted arrows to guide you (I've posed pics of such trail markers). Everyone person in our hiking party fell at least twice, so please respect the trail. The mines are a lot of fun. I would suggest bringing water shoes and LEDs. The first mine is marked with a spray painted x in a circle, and the second mine is located about 25 ft above the first one. This trail is definitely for the adventurous.

Dustin Schmidt (129)

35 Completed4 Reviews

Cool Hike, very strenous getting to the Mine.
Just don't try climbing the Saucer falls/canyon. This is an old trail, that is not really used anymore. They are very cool to look at, but very dangerous to attempt. Unsafe
Honestly, unless you are super into the old mine, I wouldnt even attempt this trail

Trevor Kadletz (142)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Only worth going on this hike if you make it to the Mine and explore it. Flashlights a must inside the Mine and be prepared to walk through knee high water. Great hike but definitely for experienced hikers only. Trail is not kid friendly and only experienced trail dogs should attempt.

Vladimir Ballesteros-Moreno (242)

25 Completed6 Reviews

Hiking trails are open. Excellent hiking, I took my dog and we did great. A lot shades for those who don't like the sun but trails has sunny areas so might be take your sun block lotion. Watch out for mountain bikers and just a tiny advice for the ladies: don't wear/use strong scents/perfumes cause a bear will be behind you next time.

ethel tang (124)

5 Completed2 Reviews

so good

Patrick Shampine (129)

14 Completed2 Reviews

Trail is still marked as closed. The trail marker off the Mt Lowe Railway is almost completely overrun with growth. But the sign states it is still closed due to fire damage.

Dorian Jacobs (388)

20 Completed6 Reviews

Trail is posted closed. I hiked part of it with a friend and the trail was heavily covered in brush.

Support