Dawn Mine Trail

#2 of 195 trails in Angeles National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Dawn Mine Trail is a 4.4 mile loop trail that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & walking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Franky Asquerra (194)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Oscar Gonzalez (114)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Xavier Medina (146)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Pretty awesome. Bring water shoes if you want to explore the mine, and a headlamp. It's all dead ends inside the mine. But awesome to check out. We didn't see the arrows painted on the rocks till almost halfway there. Flagging as sporadic. We did way more than 4.4 miles. Not sure how that number was generated. Lots of climbing over/under fallen trees, and boulders. Way mote technical than the trails like echo mountain, chantry flats, and eaton canyon. Much more secluded too. Only saw a few people the whole way.

Jasmine Sanchez (42)

1 Completed1 Reviews

A lot of poison ivy!!! But such a fun trail!

Michael G. (125)

Correction to my track info: Total time: 4 hours out and back Total length of track: 5.7 miles All Track info came from my Garmin so it is accurate. Good and fun trail, This is a moderate trail with a lot of over grown and bolder hoping with some creek crossing. Once your down by the creek there can be a lot of bugs flying around. We did get lost a few times as it can get a bit confusing but all in all we found our way to the Mine, try to follow the stacked rock sings, ribbons, and spray painted arrows. Once at the mine make sure you have enough lighting as it is pitch black in there. Be very carful in the mine at the first fork on the right side there is a BIG hole full of water that goes down very deep, don't think anyone wants to fall in that.

Elizabeth Lopez (243)

10 Completed9 Reviews

Did this trail for the first time and it was easy getting to it. Took a dirt trail all the way then it turned into huge rocks and tree branches. Coming back my friend and I took a wrong turn and got lost and ended up down in the creek. We figured it would lead to the bottom parking lot near the camp ground, NOT. we then had to hop a cabin fence and make our way up the side of the mountain to get back to the actual hiking trail. It was a near death experience and I doubt I will ever go back to that trail. Just be cautious and find things to use as point markers to remember which way to go! Other than getting lost, the hike was fun. TAKE WATER! I forgot water and had to drink from the creek.

Lizzie McVeigh (138)

7 Completed2 Reviews

One of the best hikes in Los Angeles! Make sure you have an adventure pass for parking, otherwise you risk getting a ticket. The first time to the dawn mine trail I did get a bit lost, I wasn't too sure on where the trail started. I asked other hikers for directions and they pointed me in the right direction. Don't be afraid to ask. The trail was marked by neon ribbon.

The trail is not too bad, it does involve jumping over streams, going through brush, going over boulders, fine dirt/sand (slippery), and during the summer months it can get hot. The lower entrance is easy to find "X" marks the spot. I saw a bobcat on the tree near the entrance of the mine... we had a stare-down for about 5 minutes... it finally climbed up the canyon and disappeared. It was amazing.

Beware... the mine is COLD. Make sure you bring a sweater and flashlight/headlamps to explorer the mine. The mine itself is amazing. There is a water filled abyss estimated to be +50 feet deep, one of the tunnels is flooded with knee high freezing water.

I posted a 360 degree panoramic picture along with coordinates on Google Maps (Helpful Link)

data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sG_0Dux_ribcAAAQfCTCdBA!2e0!3e11

Chris Lockett (552)

15 Completed2 Reviews

This is definitely the coolest hike I have ever done - the lower entrance to the trail is definitely closed - I didnt run into the care taker but we decided to take the switch backs all the way up and then we found the upper entrance. It was a really sketchy goat path down - it followed a narrow ledge down around the wall and there were a few parts where the land had given out. We scrambled across and found a sign that said expert hikers only - thats really the only memorable land mark. Once you get down the lower entrance to the mine is really easy to find.

I had a group of 9 with me and it was quite the adventure - I want to do it again but its definitely dangerous and you should move slow.

Erica Hernandez (143)

13 Completed4 Reviews

What an awesome experience.

Renee Massie (328)

25 Completed2 Reviews

How did everyone get past the crazy caretaker in Millard campground? I've tried to attempt this trail twice, both times closed and this guy threatened the cops on me when I tried to hop the fence...any suggestions on how to get around?

Support