Dawn Mine Trail

HARD
#2 of 152 trails in Angeles National Forest
Dawn Mine Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Altadena, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash camping hiking nature trips walking cave forest river views waterfall old growth over grown scramble
Hide Map

[Still closed due to fire damage] Dawn Mine Trail is a 4.4 mile loop trail that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & walking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nubar Madanian

Alex Ramirez

12 Completed5 Reviews

Sarah Edmonds

MONICA D

8 Completed9 Reviews

Omg!!!
Its aVery Rockie trail it isn't clear on how to get to the cave I think they need more signs other then that it's a Great Workout Cave is pretty Awesome
we got kinda lost on the way back but Thanks to a couple of Hiker we made it back.

Osa Eisele

Courtney Jones

17 Completed13 Reviews

Okay.. So, this was one of the most frustrating hikes I've ever done. Not because of the hike itself, but because I accidentally complicated things. Therefore, I want to help others with this post.
Take the trail to the falls, then, back track for maybe 30 or so yards. There will be a small stake with a pink ribbon marking a rather steep "trail." Once you make it up, go left (you won't have much of a choice in this). You'll go along this trail and over the waterfall you just saw below. Follow the trail and whenever you're not sure where to go, look for one of the following to guide you: pink ribbon, spray painted arrows on rocks, and cairns. I promise that when there's not an obvious trail, one of those things will be around to get you where you need to go. Finally, to get to the actual mine, you will see a relic up on the left side of the canyon. Once you're up by the relic, the mine is directly to the left of it. There's a giant rock blocking the entrance to the mine, so if you're not looking for it, it's very easy to overlook. This is where I messed up. I didn't see a mine so I kept going; which, if you do, there is another "mine" on the left side of the canyon, but it's like 20ish feet long then ends.
Anyway, I hope this helps! I spent a solid 4 hours scouring the canyon and making my own paths in attempts to find the canyon that I had literally been standing right next to and just didn't realize. Definitely a beautiful hike overall, only saw one other person on the trail the entire time. Some "bouldering" but my beagle handled it fine, with some occasional help from me on the higher ones. I would highly recommend this hike, as long as you follow my directions! Haha. Enjoy!

Rachel Flores

1 Completed1 Reviews

This hike is probably one of my new favorites! First time here May 9, 2016. We walked down the fire road, to the Mine Trail. When you get lower into the trail you are walking alongside water, and at time crossing it. The water was very low due to no rain. Lots of uphill and climbing rocks. Once we got to the mine we debated on going it. But we met some great people on the trail who knew the ins and outs. The Mine inside was very fascinating! On the way back we kind of went the wrong way and ended up climbing back up the side of the waterfall...I'd def do this trail again! So worth it!

Javier Mora

8 Completed1 Reviews

Vachik Sanati

Lorena Bonilla

Shelley Burke

11 Completed2 Reviews

It's a long hike but a good one. Bring lots of water and a flashlight and shoes that can get wet once you are there.

Nadine Alam

1 Completed1 Reviews

Is this trail still closed?

Amanda Donoghue

43 Completed2 Reviews

When in doubt, keep going! It's tricky to find the mine but look at pictures and maps before you head out. Once you find it you'll feel accomplished! One of my favorite and rigorous trails, so much fun!

swagmaster 420blazeit

3 Completed5 Reviews

next person to rate this trail is a fag.

Hanna Mercado

11 Completed12 Reviews

Hanna Mercado

11 Completed12 Reviews

Amanda Donoghue

43 Completed2 Reviews

Manny Ruiz

2 Completed1 Reviews

Hot ! But we got to some spot on top that was chill, with a Pinic table and was dope

Andrew Cheng