Dawn Mine Trail

#3 of 196 trails in Angeles National Forest
Dawn Mine Trail is a 4.4 mile loop trail that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & walking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

5.07 miles Out & Back 1042 feet
Dog Friendly
camping hiking nature trips cave dogs leash forest
Hide Map

Take the 210 freeway to Pasadena. Exit Lake Avenue and head north. After 3.5 miles, turn left at the T onto Loma Alta Drive. After one mile, make a right on Chaney Trail. The 1.5 mile road winds up to Sunset Ridge and down to a parking lot for Millard Campground and the trail to Dawn Mine. Park at Sunset Ridge or the lot. If parking at the lot, find the trail climbing the canyon just before the campground. This trail climbs to Sunset Ridge in 1 mile.

Nicolas Bates

1 Completed0 Reviews

This trail is a bit tricky. There are two parking lots: upper and lower. We chose the upper and took the trail that starts on the fire road and goes up and around (passing Echo mtn). I'd say about 1/3 of a mile after passing Echo you will come to a sign on the left with small amount of info about the mine. Take the small trail off the main trail down until it's splits off into two other trails. Head straight down into the canyon and the mine will be right next to the old mine equipment in the canyon wall.

To get back to the lower parking lot, head straight down the canyon. You will lost the trail often, and a lot of it is only marked by rocks, so keep your eye out. You will feel like you're straight bushwacking for most of the descent to the lower parking lot.

If you don't want to do the loop, and you just want to go straight up to the mine and back, start from the lower parking lot, and head up passed the campground. Again, you will be on and off the trail frequently, and climbing over trees and rocks to make your way up the canyon. Look out for piles of rocks to stay on the correct path. Either way, up the canyon is the correct path. The rocks just signify the more traveled and possibly safest route there. Once you come to the opening of the canyon at the top, the mine is directly above.

If you do the entire loop you're probably looking at close to 9 miles. If you do just the canyon up to mine and back, I'd say closer to 5.

Have fun and be careful. Let's keep this trail open.

Jesse Sanchez

1 Completed2 Reviews

Jesse Sanchez

1 Completed2 Reviews

Aban Sonia

2 Completed2 Reviews

William Kernozek

7 Completed6 Reviews

This hike is awesome, but I'd have to agree that it's got to be tougher than moderate (if you go all the way to the mine). There is quite a bit of bouldering at the end stretch. The waterfall is amazing, there's tons of wildlife, and the cave is such a prize, make sure you go into it, it looks sketchy at first, but it opens up! Trail isn't well marked, but look for tied off ribbons and rock piles. Happy Hiking

Kari Rowe

1 Completed1 Reviews

Michelle Chassie

24 Completed12 Reviews

We were not able to find the mine. It is not clear as to where to go. We ended up hiking in a canyon, found a hidden water fall, ran across a bear. It was just us and a small stream between us...definitely have bear spray with you. We also came across a family of 3 deer. I will definitely go back and try to find the mine. I will need to do some more research to find the right path.

Carlos Cabrera

3 Completed2 Reviews

Carlos Cabrera

3 Completed2 Reviews

Awesome!! Not a clear trail/path & thus easy to deviate. Enjoy

Rob James

2 Completed1 Reviews

This is a really cool trail. Although, as many already said, I'd rate this more hard than moderate. I did this trail by myself and didn't tell anyone where I was going which, in hindsight, was a big mistake. I didn't realize it was going to be so strenuous and remote. I went on a weekday and didn't see one other hiker. The trail is very sketchy, and not well marked. But, I have to say it was awesome and the wildlife was great. I saw a stag, a few deer, and eagles. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring a lamp to explore the mine, but it did look really cool and it gives me a good excuse to go back. On the way home, I missed the turn off to get back to the fire road, and ended up going close to a cliff edge. I actually freaked out for a little while as I couldn't find the trail back up the mountain on the Sun was going down fast. Only attempt this trail if you are fully equipped and you let somebody know where you're going.