Dawn Mine Trail

HARD
#2 of 152 trails in Angeles National Forest
true
Dawn Mine Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Altadena, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash camping hiking nature trips walking cave forest river views waterfall old growth over grown scramble
Hide Map

[Still closed due to fire damage] Dawn Mine Trail is a 4.4 mile loop trail that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & walking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Vachik Sanati

Lorena Bonilla

Shelley Burke

10 Completed1 Reviews

It's a long hike but a good one. Bring lots of water and a flashlight and shoes that can get wet once you are there.

Nadine Alam

1 Completed0 Reviews

Is this trail still closed?

Amanda Donoghue

43 Completed0 Reviews

When in doubt, keep going! It's tricky to find the mine but look at pictures and maps before you head out. Once you find it you'll feel accomplished! One of my favorite and rigorous trails, so much fun!

swagmaster 420blazeit

3 Completed0 Reviews

next person to rate this trail is a fag.

Hanna Mercado

11 Completed0 Reviews

Hanna Mercado

11 Completed0 Reviews

Amanda Donoghue

43 Completed0 Reviews

Manny Ruiz

2 Completed0 Reviews

Hot ! But we got to some spot on top that was chill, with a Pinic table and was dope

Andrew Cheng

Preston Jeter

2 Completed0 Reviews

Christina Ramirez

5 Completed0 Reviews

My BF and I have been hiking on Sunday's for 2 months now and this one was no joke but every inch was BEAUTIFUL !! Wear the proper boots or really good supported shoes there are a shit ton of loose rocks and the trail stays pretty thin it's a major workout but worth it. You will run through a lot of water so be prepared you will also see different color ribbons keeps following them they help guide you to the mines and you will see spray painted arrows on the rocks you will see a old mine train tractor to the right of that behind the rock will be the mine bring a flashlight the water was ok not to full .... Our lil dog came with us too just bring a snack and plenty of water we did about 7 miles in 4 hours ...

Vinayak Krishnamurti

1 Completed0 Reviews

Great hike! Starts off quite easy but quickly gets trickier. The hardest part for me was actually finding the mines; they're so well hidden! Resulted in me searching up and down the mountain side for almost an hour :/ (could just be me?)

Word of caution: if you want to actually enter the first mine you may want to bring along some water proof hiking boots, since the mine entrance has ~1foot of water.

Yasser Besharati

1 Completed0 Reviews

Follow the stacked rocks and colored ribbons to get to the cave.

Robin Leabman

5 Completed0 Reviews

I would rate this trail as Moderate+ or Difficult-. Definitely have proper hiking shoes as there is a bit of boulder scrambling and narrow trail climbing with precipitous canyon drops to the side.

Zach Rossi

Great!

Benson Mwangi

3 Completed2 Reviews

Great trail to hike! Had lots of fun....

Anne Schlotman

15 Completed9 Reviews

Nathan Hawkins

3 Completed0 Reviews

Probably the hardest thing I've done next to raising my dog. Keep in mind, I'm not in the best shape. As hard as it was, I had the time of my life. It was my wife, another couple and three dogs. I don't know what was more fun...enjoying the beautiful scenery or trying to figure out how to get my Austrailian Shepherd over a set of steep boulders ( I ended up throwing him over my shoulder a couple of times). As tough of a trail as it is, you're shaded pretty much throughout the whole trip which really helped us that day. There is a beautiful creek towards the end of the trail that is absolutely peaceful and most of the time you can only hear the water running throughout. We didn't end up going into the mine but we plan to make that endeavor someday in the future. We'll have to bring water boots because the entrance starts with 2 feet of water. Totally recommend this hike for those looking to be somewhat challenged.