Devil's Punchbowl / Devil's Chair

#13 of 194 trails in Angeles National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Devil's Punchbowl / Devil's Chair is a 7.4 mile out and back trail located near Pearblossom, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Marcos Gonzalez (231)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Great hike for everyone family friendly in the beginning the staff that works there is super coo. And answer any question for you. And also did the Rock climbing was a great.

ElisaBeth Breeze (200)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful hike. We took two trails, our 4 year old had no problems keeping up. There are sitting areas right when you need a breather with great views.

Samantha Chase (144)

3 Completed2 Reviews

I love this trail! I was able to walk and run it in 2hrs! Yes, the hardest part is the one mile or so after you leave Devils Chair. I like that the trail ran right along the mountain, so that you could have a beautiful scene the whole way through. It was one of the best clearly marked trails I have been on! The day was perfect! I am sad that I did not see the water though! I am not sure if it was there or dried up this time around. I hope to one day see it! I thank God for such beauty!!

Tiffany Bermudez (161)

15 Completed2 Reviews

Did this hike on the weekend for the first time and it was great. We started hiking at 9am and it was super chilly. I felt like I was going to be knocked down by the wind. The only difficult part of the hike would be the first mile on the way back but overall it was a chill trail. The view was AMAZING! My friend and I decided to climb on top of a giant rock and meditate..Hope to come back after it snows.

Liza M. (51)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Nicely kept trail. Beautiful scenery with shaded areas. I've done both the Devil's Chair and Burkhart Canyon. They're both nice trails but Burkhart has a lot of incline, definitely a great workout. I highly recommend this spot!!!

John Savage (254)

14 Completed13 Reviews

Took this trail at 3:00am to beat the heat. The temp was going to be around 95 degrees is why we chose to go early. It was kind of cool seeing the eyes of coyotes with our head flash lights jumping all around at the beginning of the trail. My friend and I decided we do like taking trails in the early morning dark hours during the summer. We were done by 8:30am and on our way home. 75 miles. The trail was really nice and simple to do. The Devils chair was our destination but there are other trails and camps that you can take but are up to 12 miles further out. I'll be back on this trail in the winter!

Aviana Medina (159)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Dean de Leo (355)

7 Completed3 Reviews

Miles away from the freeway (CA-14). So, I was going to warm up around the mile loop before I head out to the Devil's Chair, at 9:27 AM. I took a left turn into the rocks to take in the view and 3 hours later, I realized I was lost, I was off the trail. I went straight north. At around 1:00PM, that was when I started getting really tired. I would hike up 10 feet, stopped, hike down a few more feet, stopped, cramps. I had with me a bottle of gatorade and 2 liters of water, and trying to take a sip at a time. At 1:30 PM, I knew I was in trouble. I was debating whether to rest for an hour before going again, but afraid I wouldn't find my way back before sun down. I was in between the rocks at this point. That was when I thought I should probably use my phone compass lmao. When I did, I realized I was going the wrong way and had to hike back another 30 minutes to go in the right direction. I found my self stuck at the end of a rock, so I had to drop my pack about 10-15 feet down, then jumped landing on sand. At one point, I would yell out "hello!" to see if any one could hear me. I was starting to get more scared. Cuts and bruises and had to use my first aid kit twice to clean up blood off my leg and arm. At around 3:00 PM, I finally saw someone at the top of a rock. Relief at last. Yelled out asking which way to go, and he pointed the opposite direction ha ha ha! I found the trail and signed out at 3:33 PM. I'm alive! Lesson here is, if you're going to try get lost in the woods, bring a map, a true compass, and lots of water. Oh, maybe bring a friend. If you're going to die in the wilderness, you don't want to die alone. =)

Diana L. (100)

Thomas Romo (280)

6 Completed5 Reviews

We have actually done the hike to the Devil's Chair from both the Devil's Punchbowl trailhead, and from the South Fork (Bigrock Creek) trailhead. The hike from the South Fork trailhead, IMHO, while more strenuous, is also much more interesting, and much less-traveled.

Support