Devil's Punchbowl / Devil's Chair

#14 of 195 trails in Angeles National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Devil's Punchbowl / Devil's Chair is a 7.4 mile out and back trail located near Pearblossom, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Arelys Salazar-Martinez (229)

4 Completed2 Reviews

One of the greatest trail I've done.. great views.. very moderate- you get a good butt workout on the steeply hills, not sure why people would take their 2-5 years old... this trail is not good for very small children....it's too hard for their little feet. Older children can do this fine, but not little ones.... the area to take a snack by the devils chair is very limited... two pieces of tree trunks, people take turn to sit down.. this is the only downsize for me.. the rest was good.

Jason St Clair (1560)

23 Completed11 Reviews

It was nice to get out of the desert for a bit. Lots of shady trees and lots of views.

Brandy Cooper (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I'm giving this hike 4 stars rather than 5 for one reason--dogs. Rather, not dogs, but their irresponsible owners. The rules for this trail include a "dogs on leash" directive. During my hike I met up with 7 persons/groups with dogs, for a total of 11 dogs. NONE of the dog owners had their dogs on the leash, and 7 of the 11 dogs ran at me and jumped up on me. Most were friendly, but a couple of them were aggressive and pretty scary. Not cool.

Marcos Gonzalez (231)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Great hike for everyone family friendly in the beginning the staff that works there is super coo. And answer any question for you. And also did the Rock climbing was a great.

ElisaBeth Breeze (242)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful hike. We took two trails, our 4 year old had no problems keeping up. There are sitting areas right when you need a breather with great views.

Samantha Chase (245)

9 Completed3 Reviews

I love this trail! I was able to walk and run it in 2hrs! Yes, the hardest part is the one mile or so after you leave Devils Chair. I like that the trail ran right along the mountain, so that you could have a beautiful scene the whole way through. It was one of the best clearly marked trails I have been on! The day was perfect! I am sad that I did not see the water though! I am not sure if it was there or dried up this time around. I hope to one day see it! I thank God for such beauty!!

Tiffany Bermudez (166)

18 Completed2 Reviews

Did this hike on the weekend for the first time and it was great. We started hiking at 9am and it was super chilly. I felt like I was going to be knocked down by the wind. The only difficult part of the hike would be the first mile on the way back but overall it was a chill trail. The view was AMAZING! My friend and I decided to climb on top of a giant rock and meditate..Hope to come back after it snows.

Liza M. (51)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Nicely kept trail. Beautiful scenery with shaded areas. I've done both the Devil's Chair and Burkhart Canyon. They're both nice trails but Burkhart has a lot of incline, definitely a great workout. I highly recommend this spot!!!

John Savage (254)

14 Completed13 Reviews

Took this trail at 3:00am to beat the heat. The temp was going to be around 95 degrees is why we chose to go early. It was kind of cool seeing the eyes of coyotes with our head flash lights jumping all around at the beginning of the trail. My friend and I decided we do like taking trails in the early morning dark hours during the summer. We were done by 8:30am and on our way home. 75 miles. The trail was really nice and simple to do. The Devils chair was our destination but there are other trails and camps that you can take but are up to 12 miles further out. I'll be back on this trail in the winter!

Aviana Medina (199)