Devil's Punchbowl / Devil's Chair

#13 of 195 trails in Angeles National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Devil's Punchbowl / Devil's Chair is a 7.4 mile out and back trail located near Pearblossom, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Devil's Punchbowl is a point where 2 earthquake faults collide, creating upwards jutting vertical walls as high as 300 feet. It is a spectacular setting, with the high desert spreading out on one side, and the pine covered Angeles National forest on the other. The hike takes you along the mostly shaded rim of the Punchbowl, to the dramatic Devil's Chair, a breathtaking overlook with 360 degree views of the geologic formations. A rainbow of rock surrounds the Devils Chair with pink streaked chalk white cliffs, undulating tan crags, chocolate brown slabs, and green-gray ledges. This, combined with the green of the mountains and the blue sky, makes for a memorable image.

Hikers with extra energy, may want to also take the 1 mile loop trail, which drops down into the punchbowl amongst the stunning rock formations. Summer hikers should bring lots of water as it can get seriously hot in this area!

Exit the Antelope Valley Freeway (14) at Pearblossom highway (138), and follow it to the town of Pearblossom where you will turn right (south) on Longview Road (County N6). Follow the signs to the park 7 miles ahead. Note that facing the nature center, the Burkhart trailhead is on the right side of the parking lot.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Nicely kept trail. Beautiful scenery with shaded areas. I've done both the Devil's Chair and Burkhart Canyon. They're both nice trails but Burkhart has a lot of incline, definitely a great workout. I highly recommend this spot!!!

14 Completed 13 Reviews

Took this trail at 3:00am to beat the heat. The temp was going to be around 95 degrees is why we chose to go early. It was kind of cool seeing the eyes of coyotes with our head flash lights jumping all around at the beginning of the trail. My friend and I decided we do like taking trails in the early morning dark hours during the summer. We were done by 8:30am and on our way home. 75 miles. The trail was really nice and simple to do. The Devils chair was our destination but there are other trails and camps that you can take but are up to 12 miles further out. I'll be back on this trail in the winter!

4 Completed 2 Reviews

7 Completed 3 Reviews

Miles away from the freeway (CA-14). So, I was going to warm up around the mile loop before I head out to the Devil's Chair, at 9:27 AM. I took a left turn into the rocks to take in the view and 3 hours later, I realized I was lost, I was off the trail. I went straight north. At around 1:00PM, that was when I started getting really tired. I would hike up 10 feet, stopped, hike down a few more feet, stopped, cramps. I had with me a bottle of gatorade and 2 liters of water, and trying to take a sip at a time. At 1:30 PM, I knew I was in trouble. I was debating whether to rest for an hour before going again, but afraid I wouldn't find my way back before sun down. I was in between the rocks at this point. That was when I thought I should probably use my phone compass lmao. When I did, I realized I was going the wrong way and had to hike back another 30 minutes to go in the right direction. I found my self stuck at the end of a rock, so I had to drop my pack about 10-15 feet down, then jumped landing on sand. At one point, I would yell out "hello!" to see if any one could hear me. I was starting to get more scared. Cuts and bruises and had to use my first aid kit twice to clean up blood off my leg and arm. At around 3:00 PM, I finally saw someone at the top of a rock. Relief at last. Yelled out asking which way to go, and he pointed the opposite direction ha ha ha! I found the trail and signed out at 3:33 PM. I'm alive! Lesson here is, if you're going to try get lost in the woods, bring a map, a true compass, and lots of water. Oh, maybe bring a friend. If you're going to die in the wilderness, you don't want to die alone. =)

Diana Lopez

3 Completed 2 Reviews

5 Completed 4 Reviews

We have actually done the hike to the Devil's Chair from both the Devil's Punchbowl trailhead, and from the South Fork (Bigrock Creek) trailhead. The hike from the South Fork trailhead, IMHO, while more strenuous, is also much more interesting, and much less-traveled.

31 Completed 22 Reviews

Went today 4/1/14. We checked out the visitor's center first and we were lucky enough to see their Barnyard Owl "Ruth," they brought her out because there was a group of kids coming in on a field trip. They also had a bunch of different types of snakes. We did the short, easy 1 mile loop first. It was a great intro to the Devil's Chair hike and even had a self guided interpretive trail. The visitor's center has free maps that go along with the trail. The hike to the chair was great. Only tough part was the beginning of the hike in as well as the beginning of the hike out, little bit of an incline, but not too tough. Just use the beautiful scenery to take your mind off of it.

13 Completed 5 Reviews

This is a nice trail. The park is very remote. It was quite a bit more crowded than I expected. The first mile in and the first mile out are pretty strenuous but once you get past them it levels out quite a bit. Lots of nice views throughout the entire trail and especially at the end.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Starting from parking lot and walking uphill first is the way to go I have hiked it with 4 hardcore friends and we were able to get close to deer they watch for a while but didn't seem to do anything about us it was very nice we had good emergency equipment and back up water but it was not needed as we continued to big rock creek cooled off in the upper river tributary and purified water replenished rested then turned around doing the high trail up around and below the summit maybe 12 miles in a loop and a half then up and downhill it was hot but a lot of shade and water makes the difference leave early when barely sun up cool then but perfect hiking conditions ( Snakes in morning,and in evening but no problem they just go their way if giving room,you can sit quite and watch them not even change course,just do not threaten ,never pick up !) back before sun goes down and that is with an hour and a half rest in river up high,Beautiful you will see a lot in the summer most do not go during hot or hottest months,used to be lots of water,but must filter,then purifier ( or boil self contained down at big rock) start uphill,then if you are unprepared it is easy going back downhill,always) great views and early morning wildlife and late evening be aware of mountain lions if you have an odd feeling like you are being watched you are from behind,keep head on swivel and no women if it is menstruation time a bit before and after,black bears do not bother if alone ,if you see cubs talk loud to bear about being a great mother and be loud and friendly never had a problem,once in 84 I tried to ace huge male black bear downhill just to see where he was going I realized he was unconcerned and just trying to,raid someone's trash down towards the bottom at night,he outran me by 500 yards through high brush and I took a shortcut the encounter from when we both eyed each other to his food find was 45 minutes, he looked at me as if staying I don't get you but since he thought I wanted the trash,the race was on a lot of fun, but When he was in the food I stayed 50 yards away,I could tell he had own and and he was unconcerned,but now because I am older and slower,and the bears and other wildlife have their food resources very low just be smart and keep distance,AND DO NOT LEAVE ANY FOOD ANYWHERE,EAT IT LEAVE NO TRACE! Enjoy.

Alissia Said

4 Completed 3 Reviews

great hiking i went yesterday for the first time and loved it. i can't wait to see it in the spring and summer time. I'm going to go every chance i get.

Support