Donner Creek Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Mt Diablo Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Beautiful hike along creek, multiple cascades, mountain views. This loop trail is a great short hike that allows you to escape into the wilderness for a few hours.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Shalimar Santiago (148)

6 Completed2 Reviews

My fiance and I decided to do this hike on Valentine's Day and we absolutely loved it. We started from the Regency gate, to donner canyon rd, to falls trail loop, then turned right on Meridian to get back on donner canyon rd, back to regency gate. We finished the hike in 2.5 hours as stated on the info. It is family friendly but you cannot bring dogs for their own safety due to the trail can get a little narrow, especially when you reach Falls trail. I would recommend to try to do the hike counter clockwise instead so it's more rewarding to see the end of the waterfall. Other than that, it's a wonderful hike and would do it over and over again!

Ab Amaya (183)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Nice and great trial... Went in mid Feb. with my wife and kids just for a quick hike and it ends climbing and following easy roads. Beautiful nature: water creeks, water falls, people riding in their horses, several people hiking with their kids or alone...ah and we also saw some deers...! Great for a 4 hours hiking.... There are several routes and well indicated...fun!

Amber Lane (345)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Areas that are pretty steep, if you are not familiar with the trails it's difficult to navigate how to get to the waterfalls but beautiful views at the top

Ben Pollack (129)

4 Completed3 Reviews

A nice little loop with some good views. Bit steep initially, so be careful if you're bringing really out of shape or hungover friends. Best to go after some rain so the water is running.

Decent flexibility with alternate trails to take if you find you want to keep going afterwards.

Jamie Zhou (781)

11 Completed6 Reviews

6/2/2013, it was really hot, the temperature definitely slowed us down a lot. Really dry, no water fall. But great workout because of the variety of the hills.. Don't go during med afternoon.. No dogs allowed.. A lot more shade area going from the right side up the loop and a lot easier

Christine Macaraig (113)

7 Completed2 Reviews

I didn't expect there to be anything around Concord, but this was a great find. Unfortunately we didn't get to finish the whole hike and had to turn back cuz we had a late start and the kids were getting tired. At the beginning of trail from the street is a path the runs parallel to the creek so you can enjoy the sounds of the creek rushing by. The trail is pretty wide and there is a good amount of shade. There are a lot of trail runners and bikers so be alert as some of them pass by very quickly and unexpected. Planning to go back and going early and completing hike.

Patricia Bottero (183)

8 Completed1 Reviews

A gem of a hike. Varied with gorgeous views and falls. I had forgotten my hiking boots thus wearing poorly suited tennis shoes made some of the narrow crumbly, slippery and steep sections of this trail particularly difficult.

Christopher Snider-Trujillo (285)

3 Completed1 Reviews

I agree with Dave's review from Nov 24, 2012. Just be sure to keep your GPS on and keep your bearings. It's very easy to get lost up there with all those trails. Also, bring plenty of water and sunglasses, a hat, and sunblock. Parking cam be kind of a bitch on the dead end street that the trailhead begins.

Dave Schmalz (8197)

21 Completed11 Reviews

Nice little hike but if I do it again I'll be going up Back Creek trail on the way up to the Falls Trail Loop (the southern loop on the GPS route). Back Creek trail goes up the canyon to the west of Donner Canyon, and hiking it this way makes it a true loop. The Hetherington Trail runs parallel to the fire road through much of Donner Canyon, and is far more scenic and enjoyable for hiking than the fire road. Great hike after a rain!

Heather Galbraith (2797)

42 Completed18 Reviews

I hiked this trail twice within the same week. The first time out, was a quick visit on a Tuesday night at sunset. It was absolutely beautiful with the sun setting, creating brilliant colors in the sky and mysterious shades among the trees. I saw a group of wild turkeys heading towards Donner Creek right after passing through the gate. The trail (on a Tuesday) was very mellow and unpopulated. The second time out was on Sunday in the late morning. On the weekend, there were quite a few more people/families though I wouldn't label the trail crowded. My friends and I did the following route: Donner Canyon Rd. - Cardinet Oaks Rd. - Falls Trail - Middle Trail - Donner Canyon Rd. Our favorite trial was Falls Trail which is a single track trail climbing up the mountain. The route had great views and we did see a couple of flowing waterfalls. The trip was about 5.7 miles and took us about 2 hrs and 25 minutes to complete. Looking forward to heading back and trying some different routes out.

Support