East Fork Trail (Bridge to Nowhere)

Azusa, CA
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

East Fork Trail (Bridge to Nowhere) is a 10 mile out and back trail located near Azusa, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail. Trail may be narrow and high.

This trip takes you along the banks of the east fork of the San Gabriel River. While the river banks are wooded and quite lovely, most of the trail traverses the rim above the high water line and most of your travel is through scrub brush. The highlight of the hike is a mysterious bridge built over the east fork in 1936, which has no road leading to it. Actually, in the 1930's a road did lead to it, but was swept away by floods in 1938.

There are some small trails that lead down to the stream just after you cross the bridge. This is a stunning setting with shear pink tinted granite walls, roaring cascades, and the lovely bridge in the background.

Route finding was a bit challenging with many day use trails mixed in with the main trail, washed out sections of trail, and over a half dozen stream crossings (bring waterproof boots even when the water is low). I was also astounded at the number of swimming holes. This place must be a zoo in the heat of the summer!

From Interstate 10 or the 210 freeway, exit on Azusa and head north 10 miles or so, paralleling the San Gabriel Dam on your right. Turn right on East Fork Road and continue 8 more miles to the East Fork Station, where the road dead ends. Note that if you go around a hairpin 180 degree turn on East Fork Road, you missed the road into the Sheep Mountain Wilderness. The trail head is short distance down an obvious service road.

Angeles National Forest (626) 335-1251

1 Completed 1 Reviews

My husband, brother in law and his girlfriend went on this hike this past weekend (4/13/14) it was a Sunday. We got up pretty early at 6am and left at 7am. It was cool and foggy when we got there. Go early you can pretty much have the pickings of parking. Go to the restroom before you start. It's an out house with a hole in the ground because there is no restrooms along the way. My ladies anyways lol we brought nuts, apples, bananas, banana chips, any kind of protein bar or trail mix bar would be good. We have a camelback water hydration pack so we brought that 70oz pack. Lasted the way up there and the way back. Bring sunscreen and a hat for sure if you can. Hiking boots are recommended make sure they are water proof you will get wet crossing the rivers. I'd say that's the most intense part. Depending on how high the water is. It was super clear and cold when we went. Wouldn't want to fall in. Bring an extra shirt and socks if you can just incase. Trails and scenery were beautiful, didn't see any animals along the way. I hoping to tho. Rocks everywhere lol so watch your step you could easily stub your toes or trip. Rock climbing a little bit. Overall it was great and once you get to the Bridge to Nowhere you can watch people bungee jump off the bridge it's crazy! I saw people taking their dogs so that was cute but be careful with the narrow trials you come across a few. When you are done you can't wait to get into your car! Lol OH important buy hiking wool socks! Saved my feet from blisters I tell ya. A little pricy about $14.99 at Big 5 be worth it, I didn't have one blister after all those 10 miles. Hope this helped someone. It was great breathing in the fresh air!

10 Completed 8 Reviews

Pretty awesome trail. At the beginning of the trail there's a lot of trees and foliage. Beautiful scenery. There's a few sections where you'll need to cross the river. Depending on the water level, there may or may not be logs/rocks to cross. Just be prepared to potentially get wet. We saw mountain sheep! though you do have to have a pretty sharp eye to see them since they kind of blend in with the mountain and were pretty far away. A hat would be recommended as there are several stretches where there's no shade. Also recommend coming early (~7:30am) to avoid the heat and large crowds. Great trail with plenty of exploring on the side.

9 Completed 10 Reviews

Went up to Azusa for a second time Sunday. Hiked past the bridge to the highest gorge in the SGM. Great hiking trail. I definitely recommend it.

3 Completed 2 Reviews

I did this hike last weekend, late afternoon. It was a busy, but most people were heading back while I was going in. It involves a crossing a stream about 5 times, usually with logs or rocks to assist in crossing. After getting my feet wet, though, I decided it was just easier to walk right through. I took my dog with me and he loved running through the stream and I was able to keep him off leash for most of the hike. It's really shady near the stream, but there's not too much shade when you get away from it. Sometimes the trail is a bit hard to find, but overall it's a great hike.

4 Completed 3 Reviews

The trail is ruff in places, but not to bad. Plenty of water in river if you have a way to filter it. Good hike overall would recommend trying it if your in the area.

11 Completed 3 Reviews

Great trail! Enjoyed crossing the streams and getting my feet wet. Seems like a great place to go camping too. I finished this trail with my running shoes, but I would recommend hiking shoes. Also, bring plenty of water and snacks.

9 Completed 10 Reviews

A long and scenic hike with a great midway point (abandoned bridge). Good trail shoes are a must. Lots of sharp rocks and rock jumping is required to get across the stream, unless you don't mind wetting your feet. Bring plenty of water and snacks.

21 Completed 12 Reviews

Loved this! Went alone but made friends all along the way. At first I removed my hiking boots every time I crossed the river but that just became time consuming & it turned out much more fun to just run through! Make sure to go beyond the bridge and down to the water below! 10 miles went SO FAST! I wouldn't say it's super hard to hike, but quite the adventure!

Person_placeholder

N Reyes

32 Completed 27 Reviews

Hiked while it was raining. Coming from San Diego, it was a long drive. But with great company, it was worthwhile. The river crossings were cool and I found out how waterproof my hiking shoes were, very. There was an area where a rope will be needed or to go down and up since it was very steep. I will definitely want to hike this again. The variety of rock colors were pretty and the destination of mini waterfall and the river was invigorating.

Person_placeholder

6 Completed 6 Reviews

This hike is amazing. It's gorgeous the whole way up.

Foolishly, we did this on a day where the temperature was over 100 degrees. I do not recommend this as it is dangerous. Three out of four of us ran out of water on the return trip. Even though I know better, I drank from the river with no problems. It's clean and clear but there is always a chance of getting sick when drinking untreated water.

The hike itself is hard but it's fun following the river so much of the way. Like others have said, the trail is mostly on the right side of the river and isn't to hard to follow. We only had problems finding the start of the last 1.2 mile desert section that takes you up to the bridge.

You will be in the Bighorn Sheep Wilderness area, so there is a possibility that you will see some. I managed to get a picture with one on the rocks above me. There is also a possibility of snakes. On our way down, we decided to follow the river and we saw one with it's kill enjoying the same cold water we were.

Would I do it again? Absolutely.
What would I bring on my second trip? Several snacks and a small lunch(remember to pack out what you pack in), sunscreen, thick socks(leave a pair in the car), bandaids (easy to get blisters), water and my water filter I purchased after the hike, a camera(seriously it's gorgeous) and a bunch of friends. I DO NOT advise bringing dogs on this hike. Some of the terrain can be hard on their pads and it's just better not to chance it.

Support