Fairy Falls Trail (AKA Beal Falls or Shingle Falls)

Penn Valley, CA

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Also known as Ferry Falls; Hills, meadow, woods, & rocks lead to 100-foot waterfall. Formerly owned by Beale, this land was once home to a mock German town for training during WWII. Lots of protected wildlife within. Small shooting range 1/4 mile up Waldo Rd. before reaching the trailhead.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

James Rafael (351)

7 Completed1 Reviews

Drove here heading North on 65. My mapping program was correct on the route (but way off on ETA because it thought you could drive all the way to the falls itself). The best route would be through the base (not sure if that is allowed) so the mapping programs all route around it. I've attached the GPS coordinates for the parking lot on Google Maps so you map from your starting point. The last few miles are dirt road, but the road is very hard packed. We were in a regular car and there was no issues. Just before the parking lot we did see hunters unpacking (including their rifles) and there was signs posted that hunting was allowed on the trail, but we did not see any hunters (or deer). Also heard no gunfire on the hike, but from the parking lot you can hear the range off in the distance. The trail itself has great trail signs (as there are some interesting looking offshoots this is important).

The hike itself was great. We started off at around 10:30AM and did not see a soul until we were nearly done our hike (perfect). There were patches of rolling grassland, followed by treed areas, followed by rocky outcroppings. If you don't like the view, walk a half mile. The area around the falls is very rugged (which is good, you are in nature) so keep you kids close. On a hot summer day I would be tempted to go for a swim. Except for right in front of the falls the trail is very wide and smooth (not any extreme hills).

I would call it an easy and worthwhile hike. The few miles of gravel road and relative remoteness make for a quiet hike where you can really feel like you are all alone in the world.

Jesska Fowler (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Kind of difficult to find while driving there, but so worth it!! When you come to a fork in the road, follow the purple dirt!! Dog friendly, cool swimming spots, easy hike overall

Sherry Kuang (80)

4 Completed4 Reviews

We got a bit confused on where the beginning was but we found it! That's what I get for relying on my phone and not writing down directions. It was a nice and easy hike although a few times there is a fork in the road and there arent any signs on where to go. We go to the waterfall which was gorgeous and we went in the VERY cold water. The weather was pretty hot but the water was very cold. Easy hike overall, gorgeous views and dog friendly! Always a plus.

Leesh S (55)

2 Completed1 Reviews

This was a fun and easy hike. Getting to the hike location is the confusing part. The parking lot is not marked we just did a lot of guessing.

We went towards the upper falls. It's true that this place is haunted since I heard voices and seen things out of the ordinary on the way up and of course my dog sensed it. Got to the top of the 100ft fall. We climbed down to the stream of water & to the tip of the 100ft fall with our Siberian Husky. A bit scary but we were able to manage. My dog loved it by the time we got to the water. The hike down was fairly easy and made a few stops to the other pool of water locations. We decided we will just run down to the car to get a good workout in. Definitely a good place to get a jog in.

Jeff B. (99)

Easy and fun hike! Our kids (6, 8, & 12) had a good time. Much of the hike is on a dirt road with little shade. A great waterfall and pool await though to cool off! Amazing how much water there is for Sept in a drought!

Note: Apple Maps gave us the wrong directions but we were able to find it using the trial map. Also note, there are no bathrooms available.

Fernando Jacobo (87)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Fun hike. The waterfall is beautiful.

Steven Whitby (248)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Will Ross (383)

8 Completed8 Reviews

Beautiful hike in the springtime while everything is green. As some have mentioned, the drive in is on a dirt road. It may be a bit bumpy but isn't anything that should stop you from going. The hike begins on a gated dirt road and later becomes dirt trail. The stream is beautiful and a great place to explore and find a picnic spot to hang out a have a bite to eat. In the spring the water is very cold, but on a warm day can still make for a nice place to swim and cool off. The waterfalls also make for a beautiful place to stop and enjoy the view. The only downside to this hike in my opinion are the crowds on some weekends. I carried out a backpack full of discarded beer and water bottles the first time I did this hike.

Ashley Littlejohn (72)

2 Completed2 Reviews

The drive in is rocky and long. The hike itself is an hour there and an hour back. The trees out you in shade for half of it. When you reach the waterfall, it's lovely!!! Went for a swim and everything! It's really steep and rocky to get down to the water though so make sure you can climb!

Paul Roberts (146)

1 Completed1 Reviews

6/27/2015: Deanna Jaxine Stinson and I, are paranormal investigators for Halo Paranormal Investigations. We heard reports that Fairy Falls is haunted. Here's what we found out: