CLOSED: Garcia Trail to Azusa Peak

MODERATE
#10 of 152 trails in Angeles National Forest
CLOSED: Garcia Trail to Azusa Peak is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Azusa, CA that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash hiking mountain biking trail running walking views
Hide Map

[Currently closed due to fire damage] Garcia Trail to Azusa Peak is a 1.3 mile out and back trail located near Azusa, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & walking and is accessible year-round. From the fire station, follow the path around the grass area adjacent to the station to begin the trail at the north end. The trail climbs steeply, staying primarily on or about the ascending/descending ridge. There's not much shade in route but the chaparral is thick and mature. At about three quarters of a mile the trail crosses over to the west slope and makes its final pitch to the top ridge. This is the section that can be seen clearly from the city below. At 1.2 miles you reach the ridge and the Glendora Ridge Motorway, a dirt service road closed to public vehicular traffic. Veer right (east), and take the informal path up the slope to Azusa Peak (2081'), about 0.2 more miles. Enjoy the views of Azusa, Glendora, and the San Gabriel Valley beyond. Return the way you came.

Joseph Dominguez

1 Completed1 Reviews

amazing! tough and challenging but rewarding. I still mourn it's passing. hopefully they'll restore it to its glory.

Daniel Rodriguez

1 Completed1 Reviews

Once discovered this trail I seriously fell in love. I will always miss this trail. Maybe someday they can reconstruct this trail and bring it back to the public. I wouldn't mind being a security guard for this trail due to the incident that occurred at Garcia trail. 1Luv

King C.

Juan Cuevas

Abraham Lopez

4 Completed4 Reviews

Steffanie Cayeros

6 Completed7 Reviews

In my opinion this trail should have definitely been rated as moderate the walk up is pretty difficult but then again I'm lit of shape such a shame that it's closed

Juan Avila

2 Completed2 Reviews

Intense but my favorite so far sad it's closed.

Peter Abajian

1 Completed1 Reviews

When are they ? Going to reopen Garcia trail??

Hannah T.

There is a back way to still get to the cross. You have to take a fire road and it's about an 8 mile hike but still awesome to see the cross without everyone on the trail like it used to have. Kinda glad Garcia is closed... Too many people.

Jacqueline De Luna

K Y

Jaime Nunez

6 Completed2 Reviews

It may say "easy" but it's short climb is anything but that.

john ramos

7 Completed7 Reviews

This was a fun trail. Almost straight up a narrow, winding dirt/root trail. Great Cardio workout. It's such a shame that the fire took it out for awhile.

Garrett Fisch

2 Completed3 Reviews

Larry Castro

6 Completed1 Reviews

This trail will not open back up according to the San Gabriel valley tribune story which reported the local residents don't want it opened because outsiders come and park in their neighborhood. This was my favorite trail and it's sad to see it taken away.

Manuel Vasquez

3 Completed1 Reviews

Mario Munoz

6 Completed1 Reviews

Best work out & great views.

Andy Trujillo

5 Completed3 Reviews

Does anyone know of another trail like Garcia? Short, steep and a great workout? I lost 15lbs doing this trail, now that it's closed I need something else that gets the heart rate up. Please let me know. I live in La Puente. Thank you. Andrewtrujillo814@gmail.com

Jessica Ortiz

9 Completed2 Reviews

this trail is currently closed due to the fires this yr but I can't wait for it to reopen. such a great workout. it's very challenging for beginers. I myself didn't make it up the first time but I was disappointed in myself so I went back. once you make it up to the cross it's a great feeling of accomplishment. but on the way down its much easier if you jog. very steep which is what makes it such a challenge going up. I would recommend it.

Jacob Hostetler