Henninger Flats

#2 of 6 trails in Eaton Canyon Park
Henninger Flats is a 6 mile out and back trail located near Pasadena , California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

5.75 miles Out & Back 1400 feet
Dog Friendly
camping hiking mountain biking dogs views
Hide Map

The hike to Henninger Flats is on a fire road with no shade. Therefore, hike very early during the summer. There are nice views of LA if you happen to hike after a rain storm or a windy day. Scenery is nice when you reach the Flat. There is a Nature center, a picnic area and public campground set amid trees.

Marcelino Corral

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hiking for beginners

Tami Fenno

2 Completed2 Reviews

Basic out & back trail with consistently steep incline the whole way to Henniger Flats. Enjoyable hike with the cloudy skies today. Don't think I would want to do this hike in the blazing sun. Many nice people and dogs on the trail.

Cecile Anderson

3 Completed1 Reviews

Fairly straight forward climb and descent. I like it as a training hike for a trip I'm planning. I like the wide path. There is no protection from the sun, so I go early. I've done the night Sierra Club hike, but prefer seeing where I'm going.

Brian Jackson

5 Completed1 Reviews

I hike this every other morning at 4:30AM for exercise. About 1 1/2 hours up and back.

Mario Q.

21 Completed6 Reviews

6/30/15 - Finally got back into hiking after shoulder surgery! Started at 7:30pm to avoid the heat of the day. Trail traffic was light with about half a dozen each of hikers and mountain bikers. Since I was starting late I knew the gate on Pinecrest would be closed, so my exit point was through the fence gap off Altadena, before Eaton Canyon Nature Center, and then a short hike up the roadway back to the car at Pinecrest.. There were only a few sandy areas on incline so the trail grip was excellent! Ran into a beautiful rattlesnake crossing the trail at around half distance. It was about 2 1/2-3ft in length and never became aggressive, just was watching as we were. I noticed the Henninger Flat sign at the top is gone, but it made for a nice seating area to rest and overlook the city. The nearly full moon was fantastic and made for an awesome moonlit hike without needing to use the headlamp, and temperatures remained excellent with a nice light breeze for the hike down. If you are familiar with the trail and exit point after sunset it's an excellent summer evening choice!

Ellen K

18 Completed3 Reviews

Good trail. I don't know that I would call it easy, though. Moderate, but not easy.

Desiree Cormier

21 Completed1 Reviews

Good exercise.

Ricardo N.

Jenn Kisely

5 Completed2 Reviews

Robert Evans

7 Completed3 Reviews

straight up and straight down...
wide road with nice views of downtown la. pretty basic hike. when you reach the top it's amazing. very clean campsite with plenty of shade.
oh yeah no shade at all on the hike up...
took me 50 mins to make it to the top.