Henninger Flats

#2 of 6 trails in Eaton Canyon Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Henninger Flats is a 6 mile out and back trail located near Pasadena , California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Aarron mendez (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

easy overnight pack in, perfect to try out new gear or to get away even if its only overnight.
Camp spots have small fireplaces and camp provides firewood. When i went there was a posted sign that said Water ( from the spigot at the camping spots ) needed to be filtered or boiled prior to drinking.

Mario Q. (98)

21 Completed5 Reviews

Another evening walk on the hillside. :)

Mario Q. (98)

21 Completed5 Reviews

Another after work adventure! I decided to jump on a listed group hike to finish out the week. This trail is similar to the Claremont Loop in grade and that it is a fire road, but it doesn't offer any shade until you get to the flats. This trail is well maintained and more of a backside workout walk than a hike. There were about two dozen people on the trail including the group I invaded and a few mountain bikers who were very cautious and patient. The trail is mainly on the southern face of the mountain so you have constant views of the San Gabriel Valley and beyond. The access gate is open during daylight hours only and controlled by the nearby residents, so be prepared to take the south trail out if you miss the sunset cutoff. The locals informed me the distance to the flat and back is approximately 5.4m, to which we all completed in less than two hours. I'm sure it would have been less had I went my own pace, but what fun is joining a group if you aren't with it! Many thanks to their kindness to an opportunist. :) I learned that this trail goes to Mt. Wilson, so creating an interesting loop through to Chantry Flat might be a future plan! crzyrabbit@gmail.com

Roxi Zilmer (117)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Definitely a nice little hike. Would rate it 3.5. We hiked to the left to the waterfall. It was mostly rocky but also some sandy trails. Nice little waterfall to take pix and cool off in the water pool. I would do it again.

Angela Misner (108)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Henningar hike is by far my favorite hike in the area. My dog is in heaven as soon as we get past the crowd headed up to the waterfall, hit the fire road and it's as hard as you decide to challenge yourself. Or not. Spring is the best time as far as temp, greenery and runoff from the annual snowfall which can make good conditions for the creek, provided we've received any rainfall. Occasionally the mountain bikers can be inconsiderate but for the most part they share the road. The best part is once you get to the Flats you can keep hiking up Mt. Wilson as far as your legs will carry you, and on clear days you can see all the way to the ocean!! Another option is get someone to drop you off at the top of Mt. Wilson and hike all the way down, which takes 7-9 hours.

Michael Tanchek (953)

53 Completed32 Reviews

Walked up the Mt. Wilson Toll Road for the first time in more than 40 years. I give this hike four stars just because it's where it all started for me. We hiked up there pretty regularly when we were kids...it was a big deal when we were small. I took a side trip to Eaton Canyon Falls. Last time I was there the canyon was was gated and there were metal ladders bolted to the cliff face for getting past the falls. Good fishing above the falls, as I recall. A good resource for the San Gabriel Mountains is "Dan's Hiking Pages" (www.simpsoncity.com/hiking.)

James Vangerpen (1936)

55 Completed28 Reviews

Exposed fire road with no shade. However, the destination makes it all worthwhile. Picnic tables, restrooms, and a visitor center. Great place to relax for a while before starting back down the trail.

James Blanco (104)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Love this trail! It's best to start early in the morning or early evening as there is very little shade. I must say though, this trail is one oft favorites. The incline offers a nice challenge and I love the sunlight! The campgrounds at the top are nice and primitive. The view is expansive for the most part. Some days the smog/dust layer gets in the way, but oh well. I usually do this trail on Sundays. Eaton Canyon and the waterfalls nearby have been a local favorite of mine since I was a youngster.

Giselle Willick (4581)

83 Completed11 Reviews

Perfect for a weekend brief but moderately challenging outdoor activity. Will do this again and go to Mt. Wilson next time.

Jason Day (485)

21 Completed15 Reviews

Several other people here have said the same, the map shown at the time of this review is wrong. Also, this trail's usage cannot be considered "Light" by any standard. The fire road is wide and well graded. Watch for the mountain bikers, they're usually screaming downhill and hoping you'll move. Keep an eye on the switchbacks ahead and you'll see them coming. Visit the museum, it's actually got some interesting stuff. Not a lot of stuff, but some of it is actually interesting.

Support