Holy Jim Falls Trail

#1 of 115 trails in Cleveland National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Holy Jim Falls Trail is a 2.8 mile round trip located near Trabuco Canyon, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & walking and is accessible year-round. (Drive out Trabuco Creek Road to get to trailhead.)

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Tony Lemonds (306)

7 Completed1 Reviews

A real nice trail that has different obstacles. Easy for anybody and the scenery is wonderful!

Julie Kim (175)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Michelle Olsten (118)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Went on a 80 degree day with a nice breeze. Very enjoyable but you need to remember to purchase the lot fee at the general store on the corner prior to entering Trabuco Creek Rd. It's only $5 and although the ranger isn't always patrolling, you just don't want the pricey ticket if you don't have it. Need a truck or rigid off-road vehicle. Drive about 3 miles to the trail lot. We brought our 2 big dogs and they seemed to really enjoy. Bring plenty of water for yourselves and your furry companions cause you will sweat. Our pups slept the whole way home. Now the bugs are out so if your prone to getting snacked on , then spray on your repellent prior. Aside from the pesky flies I would do it again. Just a note the falls have a little wAter now but not sure how long the water will stay when we hit the 90+ weather, so enjoy now while it's there. Cheers!

Bruce German (516)

8 Completed2 Reviews

Not a bad hike at all, didn't do the divide just went straight to the falls. It was nice and cool 'cause of the shade. The fall didn't have a lot of water running though. Still nice.

Thu Pham (107)

2 Completed2 Reviews

You definitely need a car that can handle off roading. We borrowed a big truck and it was super bumpy driving in, we had to go slow due to the bumps in the road and an occasional car headed in the opposite direction. Unfortunately I didn't do enough research before the hike and re prematurely parked our car about half a mile or a mile before reaching the actual PARKING LOVE. Nonetheless, we had a great time walking in the shade. I brought my husky on this hike and she loved it. A great easy hike for beginners like myself.

Daniel Valles (333)

13 Completed6 Reviews

Really fun hike! The waterfall is not the biggest but the hike itself is really great. I don't recommend driving the road in your car, unless you hate your car, find someone to let you borrow their truck.

Christian Almen (53)

1 Completed1 Reviews

fun trail

Bryn Horst (243)

12 Completed2 Reviews

beautiful hike the falls felt AMAZING. The information says 2.8 miles but I have a pedometer that measures distance as well as steps and it reported roughly 3.25 miles one way from parking lot to falls and the same on the way back. I'm not sure if the 2.8 miles reported is the round trip length or the one way but either way it is way short. Also the ENTIRE 3.25 miles in is up hill and the last 1.25 is ridiculously steep, I messed up my back a like a week or 2 ago and needed to stop A LOT on the way up. wear good shoes and bring PLENTY of water, between my boyfriend and I we went through 6 bottles round trip but we also went on a 90° day which I don't recommend as when you get past the cabins there isn't much shade. All in all it was beautiful and lots of fun just next time I wouldn't do it with an even slightly hurting back

Nik Malenovic (46)

1 Completed1 Reviews

you really need a high clearance vehicle for this one. probably a suspension job afterwards too. can be navigated with low clearance vehicle (ie a passenger car) extremely carefully and slowly at a 40 minute pace for the 5 mile dirt road. hike is easy and good for kids but does require a 1:30 roundtrip so plan accordingly. no networks signal in the canyon like environment. parking at the trailhead can get crowded.

liz c. (113)

Was fun went with my dog.Meet some nice people on the trail.
Was still some snow on the ground.Dont go after it rains.
very mudding.