Homestead Trail, Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve

MODERATE
#2 of 3 trails in Putah Creek Wildlife Area
true
Homestead Trail, Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Winters, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

no dogs kid friendly hiking wild flowers
Hide Map

Mone Moody

1 Completed0 Reviews

My husband and I hike this trail frequently. Great trail for a quick workout! Beautiful views along the ridge. Be sure to carry lots of water if you go in the summer heat!

Sangeeta Patel

1 Completed0 Reviews

It is a short hike. Moderate to easy. For me is was moderate as I took breaks, for my son it was easy he is 21 and is very active. Closed until May 15 2016

Emma Fletcher

Vasilina R

44 Completed2 Reviews

Boston Walker

13 Completed6 Reviews

Great hike without having to drive far. Great views at the top, however I would rate this on the higher end of moderate. We packed a lunch and ate at the top.

Liz Henson

4 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail, not too far from Sacramento. I took Homestead trail to Blue Ridge trail & was rewarded with beautiful views. The trail is clean & well-maintained. Plenty of shady sections on the trail. Lots of poison oak/ivy however. Must watch where you step. I'll come back to this trail!

Amanda Bartell

32 Completed24 Reviews

We started on this trail and continued on the blue ridge trail to complete the loop. LOTS of steps, but definitely worth the gorgeous scenery. Bring lots of water!! One large water bottle per person was not enough for us. Look out for lots of lizards. Love this hike.

Lori Holman

2 Completed3 Reviews

Loved this trail. It is a little bit of a challenge I will say I loved it but if your not a hiker it will make your Glutes burn all the way to the top. Tip: Start at the end and come back to the start. It is just up the road a little bit and makes it so nice on the way out. I will do this hike many more times it was a perfect day!

Michaela Yelle

12 Completed9 Reviews

Did the loop to overlook Lake Berryessa.

Mel Thoma

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great for first time hiker,my first time out it was great,

Mary Marubayashi

3 Completed4 Reviews

This trail, just outside of Winters, CA, is a nice little jaunt for a Sunday morning. In the spring there are some nice wild flowers, and during heavy rainfall winters, the creek can get pretty full and is great. There is only one point where you have to cross the creek, and there is no bridge, just rocks, so if the creek is VERY full, you might have to get wet a bit. The Homestead Trail is only the first part of a 4.75mi loop trail, which is the best thing to do, as it overlooks Lake Berryessa at the top. From the homestead to the top is pretty steep, so bring water. From the start of the HS trail to the top is almost all in the shade. This trail makes a great running trai to train on, although since it goes up, then down, there's a lot of downhill. After a rain there are plenty of slippery parts of this trai. I believe dogs are not allowed. One more notable tidbit: there's lots of poison oak along this trail.