Icehouse Canyon to Icehouse Saddle Trail

#9 of 195 trails in Angeles National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Icehouse Canyon to Icehouse Saddle Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen and is accessible from June until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Gordon Muncy (85)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Just completed a few days ago. Relatively tough hike. Lots of shade and wildlife. Saw a few Big horn sheep. I was hiking up to 6 miles and thought this would be easy. Still sore after 3 days. Great hike though. I'll do it again.

Howard Chang (78)

10 Completed2 Reviews

Took this trail a couple months back with my mom. We didn't do any previous research and took on the trail with minimal equipment. That was a mistake. Although we finished the hike, I would suggest bringing a decent pair of hiking boots and trekking poles. And also bring a light jacket! Pocohontas is definitely painting with the colors of the winds on this one.

Elise Scheuerman (311)

3 Completed2 Reviews

I really enjoyed this trail. It's not recommended for beginners because it has a very steep incline. It is rocky and you need to watch your footing. I would definitely do this trail again. It was gorgeous but very windy.

Carol TRICOCHE (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike literally kicked my butt! Im summer months highly recommend starting early am, I started at 730am, that why you are shaded for the full climb up. Otherwise sun is on the trail on late am/ early afternoon. Suggest trekking poles, I didn't and wished I had. Beautiful well maintained trail. Will be back.

Julie Bell (275)

10 Completed9 Reviews

I couldn't find the right trail on here so this is the closest i could find.. . we did this trail and then continued on past the saddle, and Kelly Camp to Ontario Peak and Bighorn Peak. It was a very long day but the weather was perfect for exploring in the Angeles National Forest. This whole route was about 14 miles, out and back. There is a bottle opener at the top of Ontario Peak, so next time i'll celebrate with a beer - the test will be getting up quick enough so that it's still cold. ..

Laura Jean Brantley (337)

17 Completed14 Reviews

If you're in Rancho, you know you don't have a lot of options, but this is a very good one. So you should go do it. It's so beautiful. It's a little hard if you're not an athletic person, but it's worth it. Bring a camelbak, not a water bottle, a camelbak. It's shade most of the way, the stream is gorgeous! It's so peaceful and a good workout.

Raymond Tang (51)

2 Completed2 Reviews

This is a nice but difficult hike. The climb to the saddle is singletrack and gains elevation quickly.

Hiking poles and your ten essentials are recommended when traveling in early spring since there's still snow along the way.

David S (1083)

48 Completed33 Reviews

the most peaceful hike ever. no wind or noise and no bodies other than yours. wonderful experience. gets cool in winter so dress warm.

Lynda Chekay (3159)

97 Completed141 Reviews

This was an awesome day. There was some ice on the trail that required microspikes though it was negotiable if you are very careful. The weather was cool and windy at the saddle. Not a good place to rest.

Amanda Stelter (208)

37 Completed2 Reviews

Butt kicker is a goo way to put it. This trail was so much fun. I carried a 40lbs pack for this one. (Practice) Bring loads of water and snacks. Its a very enjoyable hike. The views are amazing once you reach the top. Also, try to stay on the path. VERY easy to create your own and have to climb a few rocks. I only passed a few people along the way. Quiet and relaxing. :-)

Support