Icehouse Canyon to Icehouse Saddle Trail

#8 of 195 trails in Angeles National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Icehouse Canyon to Icehouse Saddle Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen and is accessible from June until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Eric Gutierrez (47)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Tuff for someone who is not used to it, but wow what a view.

Todd Ryan (719)

50 Completed15 Reviews

This is a great hike with many and varying environments. You'll be on dirt, scrambling rocks and walking over uneven gravelly terrain. Make sure to do this one early or during a time of year that isn't very hot. I went in the middle of June with 80 degree weather. The combination of heat and elevation gain made it challenging. The elevation gain is 2600ft over 3.6 miles so you are going to be going up and up and up. Some great views are your reward for the hike. As for animals I only ran across a garter snake. This hike tends to be crowded.

Ruben Campos (104)

1 Completed1 Reviews

What a great little hike. Difficulty level I would say moderate. Wear a good pair of hiking shoes as the rocks will hurt under your feet. Make sure to fill water on the lower portion of the trail, cause once you get up top it was difficult to see water. The trail is very clear to see, I will for sure do it again. I took a hammock and rested for about 1 hour before I headed back down. I suggest trekking poles. and make sure you bring a lightweight fleece of jacket. Weather changes fast with the winds.

Maria Lopez (43)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Jackson Boyd (37)

Ryan Strobel (55)

8 Completed2 Reviews

I love this hike- I've done it many times. A fair warning: a portion (maybe a half mile?) of the trail travels across Telegraph Wash. This portion of the trail is dilapidated and difficult to see. Be sure to look for the trail markers (usually smaller rocks that are stacked in an unnatural way (i.e. by humans)). Trail markers are often used in areas where the trail is difficult to mark or see (i.e. crossing a rock slab or crossing a wash). Here's a great example of this sort of trail marker (from a different hike): https://motionphotographyonline.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/jmt-1-23.jpg

Happy Hiking!

ramon ornelas (170)

2 Completed1 Reviews

have a couple words to say about This hiking trail it's beautiful fun and you get away from all your problems

Gordon Muncy (85)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Just completed a few days ago. Relatively tough hike. Lots of shade and wildlife. Saw a few Big horn sheep. I was hiking up to 6 miles and thought this would be easy. Still sore after 3 days. Great hike though. I'll do it again.

Howard Chang (298)

10 Completed2 Reviews

Took this trail a couple months back with my mom. We didn't do any previous research and took on the trail with minimal equipment. That was a mistake. Although we finished the hike, I would suggest bringing a decent pair of hiking boots and trekking poles. And also bring a light jacket! Pocohontas is definitely painting with the colors of the winds on this one.

Support