Lake Clementine Trail

#1 of 14 trails in Auburn State Recreation Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Lake Clementine Trail is 2 miles located near Auburn, California. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and hiking. Leads to the spot where the North Fork Dam meets the rocks for an outstanding view of cascading water. Trail passes under the tallest bridge in California, Foresthill Bridge.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ed Vizenor (57)

was awesome!

kristy benner (131)

5 Completed3 Reviews

Like this hike a lot. It did seem more than 125 ft incline but over all was great work out and really shaded. When we got to the lake and dam. There was no way to get to the lake for swimming but lots of swimming holes along the river. Lots and lots of mt bikers. Nice shaded trail in the morning! Will go again for sure.

Beverly L. (85)

Great beginner trail. Plan to spend the day at clark's hole, the water is calm and warm. We brought rafts and lunch, it made a perfect day. $10 to park at confluence, but free if you park along hwy 49 just outside of confluence and walk back over the little bridge.

Emily Fife (38)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great place for kids. A bunch of us ages 3-40+ hiked the entire trail and spent several hours at Clark's Pool. Perfect day.

JD Vargas (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

4 stars for the Clark's Pool swimming hole that is accessed by the Lake Clementine trail. Easy .8 mile walk on a busy and flat trail to the pool. Once there, lots of little mini-beaches to set up on. The water is amazingly warm, and there are a couple places to jump off rocks; one about 10 feel high and the other about 20 feet high. Great place for kids. We went on a Sunday and it was pretty crowded, but there were still spots open.

Jennifer P. (213)

No one mentioned the $10.00 self paid parking fee for parking near the trailhead. Also, while trail was nice and wide with lots of shady areas (especially in morning hours), it seemed like we climbed significantly higher than the advertised 125 ft elevation gain. Mapmyhike app indicated we had traveled 2.65 miles and still had not reached the lake- we could see the falls through the trees, but didn't get there because we weren't equipped for anything more than a leisurely stroll. I recommend the hike for the reasons others stated, but I'd make sure you had a decent supply of water with you (and ten bucks).

Elizabeth Morabito (62)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Gorgeous hike but from what I could tell, there was no easy access to Lake Clementine to swim. We were somewhat disappointed after hiking mostly uphill in 100 degree heat. However, we took a snack break overlooking the dam and then found a trail leading down to the river. This trail was difficult since it was pretty steep and the last portion was all over rocks. But it was so worth it!! Most gorgeous swimming hole ever. Picnicked on a rock and loved every minute of it.

Audrey W. (314)

Such a lovely hike!! The gal at the front kiosk was very helpful. Went with a friend and my German shepherd. Would have been awesome just the friend and I but our dog couldn't handle the hot rocky path. So if your dog acts like a princess like mine, this isn't a trail to being the pup on! There are tons of little offshoots to head down and swim in the emerald water. It's a very easy steady incline all the way in. Will definitely be going back again, bring water!

AJ Anchell (449)

35 Completed8 Reviews

This is a nice steady incline up 2miles to dam at Lake Clementine. The water fall from the dam is beautifully hypnotic, a Great place for a little picnic lunch... I've hiked back along the trail and along the river (crazy fun) and this time of year it's a perfect place for a river plunge after a hot 4mile hike!

Brant Smith (205)

7 Completed7 Reviews

Did this trail with my son on my back was a pretty easy hike with a few long gradual hills but nothing too steep. Like others have said there are a lot of nice swimming holes that I'll check out next time I go. There weren't to many people on the trail when we started on the way back there were people on the trail heading to the swimming holes.

Support