Lake Clementine Trail

#1 of 14 trails in Auburn State Recreation Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Lake Clementine Trail is 2 miles located near Auburn, California. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and hiking. Leads to the spot where the North Fork Dam meets the rocks for an outstanding view of cascading water. Trail passes under the tallest bridge in California, Foresthill Bridge.

The waterfall is absolutely amazing. There are rarely any people at the base of the fall but there is an abundance of poison oak so you need to be careful.

Another good feature about this hike is about a quarter of a mile into the hike you pass by Clark's Pool - a fairly popular swimming hole. Despite being in the middle of the river, it is actually quite warm and very refreshing - especially since the first half of the hike is totally unshaded and gets rather hot.

From Auburn, take Highway 49 South. At the Confluence, keep going straight - do NOT turn right. After you cross the curved bridge, park off to the right of the road. The trail head is right at the end of the bridge.

Jennifer Pulliam

4 Completed 4 Reviews

No one mentioned the $10.00 self paid parking fee for parking near the trailhead. Also, while trail was nice and wide with lots of shady areas (especially in morning hours), it seemed like we climbed significantly higher than the advertised 125 ft elevation gain. Mapmyhike app indicated we had traveled 2.65 miles and still had not reached the lake- we could see the falls through the trees, but didn't get there because we weren't equipped for anything more than a leisurely stroll. I recommend the hike for the reasons others stated, but I'd make sure you had a decent supply of water with you (and ten bucks).

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Gorgeous hike but from what I could tell, there was no easy access to Lake Clementine to swim. We were somewhat disappointed after hiking mostly uphill in 100 degree heat. However, we took a snack break overlooking the dam and then found a trail leading down to the river. This trail was difficult since it was pretty steep and the last portion was all over rocks. But it was so worth it!! Most gorgeous swimming hole ever. Picnicked on a rock and loved every minute of it.

Audrey Woods

13 Completed 10 Reviews

Such a lovely hike!! The gal at the front kiosk was very helpful. Went with a friend and my German shepherd. Would have been awesome just the friend and I but our dog couldn't handle the hot rocky path. So if your dog acts like a princess like mine, this isn't a trail to being the pup on! There are tons of little offshoots to head down and swim in the emerald water. It's a very easy steady incline all the way in. Will definitely be going back again, bring water!

Icon_11c5f810a732ee1ea3177dbb57bfb657

35 Completed 7 Reviews

This is a nice steady incline up 2miles to dam at Lake Clementine. The water fall from the dam is beautifully hypnotic, a Great place for a little picnic lunch... I've hiked back along the trail and along the river (crazy fun) and this time of year it's a perfect place for a river plunge after a hot 4mile hike!

7 Completed 6 Reviews

Did this trail with my son on my back was a pretty easy hike with a few long gradual hills but nothing too steep. Like others have said there are a lot of nice swimming holes that I'll check out next time I go. There weren't to many people on the trail when we started on the way back there were people on the trail heading to the swimming holes.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

The hike was nice and there were several great swimming holes. Only issue is that we went when it was over 90 degrees and there was no shade. I'll go back when it's a little cooler. While dogs are allowed on the trail, it was disappointing to not be able to go to the dam or lake because we had our dog with us. I can't believe there are still areas that don't allow dogs. We will not return to this hike with our puppy.

Zeina A.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Nice but a little hard for younger kids or newbies. Beautiful scenery along the way.

Icon_

3 Completed 2 Reviews

A great little hike starting from the Auburn Recreation Area. You get to enjoy some great nature as well as man-made feats: Foresthill Bridge and the dam at Clementine Lake. It's dog friendly until you actually get to where the dam is. Signage says no dogs at that point. Note: the first part of the hike (from the Confluence) is pretty flat, but about a mile in it's a pretty consistent incline to Clementine Lake. DIG DEEP, and enjoy :)

7 Completed 2 Reviews

6 Completed 2 Reviews

Fun and quick trail, with beautiful scenery especially in the spring time. I would suggest that once you hit the road after about two miles of a steady uphill, go down the road toward lake clementine and take in the beauty and serenity of the lake.

Support