Lake Clementine Trail

#1 of 14 trails in Auburn State Recreation Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Lake Clementine Trail is 2 miles located near Auburn, California. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and hiking. Leads to the spot where the North Fork Dam meets the rocks for an outstanding view of cascading water. Trail passes under the tallest bridge in California, Foresthill Bridge.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Krista Watson (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome! Starts out easy and gets to moderate, I would say. Lots of shade. Great swimming hole about .5 mile in. If you plan on getting to the waterfall, it is another hot .5 mile after the first 2 (downhill paved). The waterfall is spectacular and you can feel the cool mist on your skin. Eat your lunch there and prepare for a hard and hot half mile uphill hike. After that it is a downhill gravel with lots of shade. A half mile before you finish, jump off the rock and swim in the cool refreshing river.

We are virgin hikers and went with our 3 kids ages 8, 5 and 8 mos. My kids are TROOPERS and I'm amazed they made it. I probably wouldn't have put them thru it if I knew it was 5 miles round trip. They forgot about the difficulty as soon as we got to the swimming hole.

We burned 1220 calories and I am sore everywhere as of the next day.

Lani Corpuz (79)

8 Completed4 Reviews

Very easy hike....mostly flat until u get towards the end.

Carol Holliman (80)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Perfect for folks who enjoy an easier stroll by a beautiful river. Would have liked a bench or two along the way.

Val Prec (66)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Cait Loper (111)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Jacqueline Turrubiartes (120)

13 Completed3 Reviews

Nice easy 4 mile hike round trip. Pet and family friendly. Some shade, bring water on warm days. Great view of Auburn Dam! On your way back dip in the nice cool creek.

Jacqueline Turrubiartes (120)

13 Completed3 Reviews

I have done this trail a few times now. It's an easy 4 mile hike round trip, and can be extended if you keep going straight on the road before you get to the dam. Some shade a little up hill hear and there. On your way back, take a dip in the nice river creek to cool down. Puppy and family friendly!

James Correa (121)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Enjoyable with pretty views of the river. Wish we had brought swim suits to jump in as many others did. Gradual incline most of the way with the first half up until the bridge in the sun.

Christal Potter-Tosch (122)

6 Completed5 Reviews

The trail was good but people were not very informative on previous reviews as to what to expect so here it is. It is a hot trail, with mile 2 being straight uphill. At the top, there is an option to go toward the dam at lake clementine or to continue up lake clementine road. There is no easy place to swim at the end of the 2 mile mark. My 2 children (4 and 9) continued on for at least half a mile looking for a place. We ended up doubling back down the trail to the American river right before the mile one marker where there was easy river access, a nice wading beach for the little one and a rock across the river to jump off. Don't take this hike because you think you're going to find an easy in for swimming at the lake itself at the end of the main trail, take it because it's a good hike and there are places along the way to hop in at the river. I gave it a 4 on the scale because I'll be returning with my hubby and the dog, but we'll be stopping long before grading straight up the hot hill for a solid mile.

Cindy Medlin (82)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I have run this trail many times over the past 20 years but decided to hike it today with my husband. There is now a fee station of $10. This was a great hike although we chose a hot day to do it on. Make sure to bring water. There is a great place to swim on the way back that was heavenly.

Support