Lake Margaret Trail

#4 of 134 trails in Eldorado National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Lake Margaret Trail is a 5 mile trail (RT) located near Kirkwood, California. The trail is primarily used for hiking. It also is a nice place for an easy overnight backpack trip. The Lake is a great place for an afternoon swim and picnic. Fishing is no good, beavers are in the area.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Victoria Gould (186)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great beginner backpacking trip for my 9-year-old son. Trail was not too difficult to follow, although we had some difficulties crossing the streams with our packs on. We ended up taking off our boots and wading across at the first stream, as trying to balance on a log 10 feet above the shallow water felt a little dangerous with packs on. I loved that the trail had a little bit of everything, and the lake was beautiful and not super cold. Lots of swimming, rocks to climb, and fallen logs to walk across to keep you busy once you get to the lake. We didn't have too many issues with bugs, although we did carry and use bug spray; I have been to places with WAY more mosquitos and ants. All in all this is a great little day hike or overnight trip.

ano n. (90)

Nice trail. The creeks you have to cross have some pretty large logs that have fallen across. I was able to get across safely with no worry about the logs breaking because they're pretty thick. The trail is well marked but someone has stacked 3 stones throughout the trail if you need some guidance. There are a few forks in the trail...just look at the ground. Others and I have put sticks that block the wrong way. If you stop seeing the pile of 3 stacked stones, you know you've gone the wrong way. Towards the end of the trail it gets pretty bushy...don't worry, that means you're going the right way. Watch your footing in that bushy area though, I notice it's a decaying bank.

Bring bug spray. I should've brought some after reading reviews telling me to bring some but I decided that I didn't need any. Big mistake. Lots of mosquitos there!

Debbie Paul (1044)

30 Completed9 Reviews

Beautiful. You are going to cross some water, and this trail is a nice mix of meadows, rocky terrain, and being hidden by trees. Not really a beginners trail, depending on your activity level, but nice. No facilities in the parking lot, so be prepared.

Augie Hill (309)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Beautiful!! Our little dog had the time of her life.

Augie Hill (309)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Beautiful!! Our little dog had the time of her life.

Julie Lindsay (96)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Family friendly hike with fun water crossings. Great lake and streams to picnic by.

Shassity murphy (280)

15 Completed15 Reviews

Great hike! Lots of water had to navigate quite a few water crossings. It was super fun.

Shassity murphy (280)

15 Completed15 Reviews

Karen Agurto (469)

21 Completed8 Reviews

Follow the rock piles! My friend and I were stuck a few times searching for the trail because some parts are not obvious but we would just look for those little rock piles & that led us in the right direction. Make sure to wear bug spray as well. This was a great hike for my dog, he was tired out by the end.

Richard Flores (580)

21 Completed10 Reviews

Hiked and overnighted early April 2015. Nice hike 2.5 miles. Some mud and snow but not bad. I'd do this one again.

Support