Lawson Peak Trail

#10 of 115 trails in Cleveland National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Lawson Peak Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Jamul, California that features a cave and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, off road driving & rock climbing and is accessible from November until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ryan Navaroli (91)

5 Completed3 Reviews

Beautiful hike and close to SD. The off road trucks were neat and added to our experience. All the drivers were nice. Didn't end up doing the scramble at the end bc some of my group wasn't up to it but there is a dome rock at the top before the scramble which served as a nice finish. The hike to that can be done pretty easily and could be called moderate probably.

Dennis Thompson (874)

17 Completed3 Reviews

Located near the mile 13 marker on Lyons Valley Road, the trail is not maintained and is primarily used for off-roading excursions. The elevation gain is pretty steady which makes for a friendly hike. The view is impeccable even from the road leading up to the peak. Where the road splits into two separate directions (East and West) there is an option to continue forward. I chose the continue forward where I had to do a little rock scrambling to find myself to the top of the peak. All in all it's good hike and an amazing view.

Johnny Carr (1100)

15 Completed2 Reviews

This was my first trip up Lawson Peak Trail and I enjoyed it. The trail is primarily a Jeep trail and there is quite a bit of trail erosion, which is great for the Jeeps but not great for hikers' ankles. There is some necessary climbing in order to reach the summit and there didn't seem to be an easy way to the very top. From the top we could see Point Loma and downtown to the West and up to El Cajon Mtn to the North (I don't know what is East of here). Bring what ever supplies you will need because there is nothing around this trail.

Sue Kopas (191)

16 Completed6 Reviews

It was in the high 30's when we arrived and it had just rained/snowed the day before. This hike/run was still a lot of fun and challenging. The start is right around mile marker 13 on Lyons Valley Rd. About 3 miles after you turn right onto Lyons Valley from Honey Springs. You spend 2 miles on a fire road before you get to the base of Lawson. From there we headed straight across and picked up a trail to the top. A lot of rock climbing and bush whacking. I don't think there is a correct or easy way to the top. I would do it again.

Jarrod Hammack (347)

17 Completed7 Reviews

Lawsons Peak Trail is a nice fun fire road to the base of the peak. From there the trail gets interesting and much more fun as you climb to the top of the peak. As you make your way to the peak, you climb over boulders and weave your way up the mountain. Towards the top, you will need to do some slight bouldering to get up to the peak and it is a lot of fun climbing all over the boulders.

XtremeHikers .com (389)

19 Completed2 Reviews

This was a great hike that the Xtreme Hikers went on this weekend. Great read! The perfect day and great views. Nice challenge. Check out more details and an depth story about our adventure on our blog. Videos and pictures can also be found there in order to make your visit easier! XtremeHikers.com

Stephan vonKolkow (127)

16 Completed2 Reviews

Love this hike. Has the best little ledge to hang out on ... have a private lunch on ... take a nap on... Keep an eye open for rattlesnakes. I've done this hike 6 times and run into big snakes twice.

Rachel Hunter (81)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked midweek in mid may and was 90 degrees with very little shade. Good workout but a little boring and hot.

Support