Leo Carrillo Beach: Leo Carrillo Beach Trail

#1 of 3 trails in Leo Carrillo State Park
Leo Carrillo Beach: Leo Carrillo Beach Trail is a 3 mile out and back trail located near Malibu, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for camping, hiking, scenic driving & sea kayaking and is accessible year-round.

3.0 miles Out & Back
camping hiking scenic driving beach views
Hide Map

You can start at varying points to make the hike shorter or longer. At times it becomes rather steep but the scenery is great. Lots of small lizards and quail running around. The final viewpoint of the ocean and entire coastline is breathtaking. Head to the beach when you're done to cool off!!

Lizbeth Barron

6 Completed4 Reviews

Great quick sunset family hike! I did this with my family last Sat (11/21/15) we did not complete the entire trail only got to the top of the first mountain, but I was absolutely GORGEOUS! The views were amazing specially with the sun coming down and disappearing in the ocean. The trail is in good condition, well kept and safe for kids. I though we were going to do the Leo Carrillo Trail, but we end up in the Nicholas Flat Trail, lol how ever we had a great time & we're looking forward to go back and even camp there sometime :)

David S

48 Completed33 Reviews

great camping for families with access to beach. nice tide pools for the kids. a little scrambling for the young'ns makes this a great weekend.

Scott Miller

24 Completed23 Reviews

There is a mobile trailer park for Leo Cabrillo Beach, a small visitors center, as well as the trailhead for numerous paths above PCH highway. I avoided the parking fee by leaving my car on PCH headed east. The fog had lifted by 8 AM on this section of Malibu but remained over the eastern section near Kanan Road. The rock out-cropping's into the ocean provide scenic viewpoints for photographing birds, fisherman, and occasional surfers. The ascent and descent from the oceanside hill is not very dramatic but it's good exercise for moderate hikers and safe for children.

Kenneth O.

Park on PCH to avoid the fee! Try to time the hike at low tide and then you can explore the sea cave, seaside rocks and tide pools. The beach has a very different feel from the south bay (Torrance, Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan, etc.) beaches that I more frequently visit. Nice place for a family day of exploration. 5.55 out of 10.

Daddy Cruz

6 Completed4 Reviews

$ 12 day parking pass. This was perfect to spend the morning out in Malibu. We got there late which was 10 am & there were very few people around. It was great, one minute we're walking on the beach, the next minute we came across huge rocks/boulders on the beach, so either A) go all the way back & around to get to other side & continue on beach or B) just climb up & over the rocks which is more fun or C) swim out & around the rocks. There's a cool cave walk thru open on both ends, about 20 ft long.

Marilinda G.