Main Divide Road

#31 of 115 trails in Cleveland National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Main Divide Road is a 28.3 mile point-to-point trail located near Lake Elsinore, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jeremy Hong (490)

9 Completed8 Reviews

This is a great off road experience for my first time. Not too difficult, but a great place to get a good feel and learn your vehicle when off roading. Depending on what part of the road you start and head there were some steep roads (but uphill and downhill) with lots of rocks. Overall a very fun place to visit with lots of long trails. Found my way out at Indian truck trail. Have come back at least 2 more times since and visited the Santiago peak (radio towers)

Thomas Huckaby (181)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Fun trail ride! It is really bumpy due to the rocks which can get old after a while, but the views are awesome! To get to the trail start on North Main Divide Truck Trail, not the one where the pin is. Besides that confusion it was pretty simple to find. Also once you get to the top you can take Indian Truck Trail out and it will drop you off close to I-15. This is shorter than following the main divide and similar in difficulty level. We had a great time though!

Keith Motte (659)

8 Completed4 Reviews

I did the south section of this trail. The trail was easy, that is if the highest and drop offs don't unnerve you. I was heading to the Wildomar OHV trail from Ortega hwy. I only did 6 mils of this trail and decided to turn back as it was getting late.

Janet Shaw (126)

2 Completed2 Reviews

We enjoyed the trail. Scene views of Lake Elsinore and the Ocean were beautiful. It was bumpy, rocky and hard for us beginners to find the right roads but buying a GPS might help us. We did run into very light snow and ice on the ground. Also, no identifiable birds or animals(one squirrel. The views and at times forest atmosphere of clean air and nature were fabulous.

Spike Darakjian (213)

5 Completed4 Reviews

Pretty mellow of a trail a real easy drive a nice little hint when you get to the big radio tower thing bang hard right opposite the tower and there's a steep little climb great view and neat little camp fire spot. Also if heading back toward Ortega highway bang a left on the side trail only a couple 100 feet past that little climb pretty cool little trail to drive 4x4 and a little more recommended.

Marissa Gerlach (173)

5 Completed5 Reviews

in our truck 28 miles took a long time but the view is sweet! we picked up two different people on this trip... a biker that couldnt make it to the top and when we got to the top two guys that had a car break down on them.... always be aware of the worst that can happen and be ready for it when you drive somewhere that most people can't get to. a toe truck cost at lowest $200 a hour. just an FYI. next time we go I want to park and hike because in the car with bumps for 4 hours isnt going to cut it for me.

Jagman Biz (357)

2 Completed1 Reviews

This was a fun time and beautiful scenery! My wife and I and our dog Dyna are new to Southern California and to the off road lifestyle. We decided to take the afternoon and try to find a trail close to Lake Elsinore. We packed up the Jeep and followed the map provided here. Not good...not even close to be honest. The pins showing trail are not even close. Totally on wrong side of the highway actually. We spent 2 hrs trying to find a trail that was not even there. So for those of you like us who are not familiar with the area or common trails please know that the trail starts well on the Northern side of the Ortega Hwy where the pin drop is. You must go into the park past Blue Jay Campground and then turn left into white gate a mile or so past campground. Once we finally found it, it was great! Being new to off-roading we did not know what to expect. We read it was moderate. The reviews we found showed everything from being able to do trail in a "Honda Civic" to needing 4 wheel drive on loose shale sections. We took our time and never took our Wrangler out of 2 wheel drive but know for a fact you couldn't navigate this trail with a Honda Civic (stock anyway) if you were Captain Offroad America! So pack a lunch, be in a truck or SUV and head out for a beautiful journey! It was amazing!

Support