Matilija Canyon Trail

#1 of 219 trails in Los Padres National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Matilija Canyon Trail is a 8.4 mile out and back trail located near New Cuyama, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Ventura: Travel north on Highway 33 to Matilija Canyon Road and turn left (west). Drive up Matilija Canyon Road to a locked gate.

California Travel and Tourism Commision, P.O. Box 1499 , Sacramento, CA, 95812-1499, Phone: 800-862-2543

Person_placeholder

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Very good SoCal hike! Easy going until last 1/2 mile at which point it steps up a level. We left early am which was a good thing because you'll be in the sun for most of the way. Every trail reference I saw before starting - including SC - says the hike is 8.4 miles but that's incorrect. From the trailhead, it's a 5.8 there and back. There is still some water falling in August and we had a fun dip in the Falls pool. The private property / no trespass signs along the hike are an unfortunate distraction but you'll be ok if you stay on the trail. If you don't want to stop and play along the way the hike takes just over 2 hours. Onward and upward...

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Me and my boyfriend went to this trail over the weekend, and actually set up a tent and spent the night. We got there around 11 am, so the hike to middle camp was more brutal since we were right into the heat. We ended up right next to the creek so we ended up in a cooler spot for the night. We had a blast walking up the trail. With plenty of inclines, and not to flat of a hill it was someone difficult. On the way back it was easier since we were refreshed with sleep and left around 8:30 am. The weather was perfect. I suggest going earlier in the day! It was about 2-2.5 hours the second day coming from middle camp down to base. Was worth the whole 8 mile trek. Any time we saw people, everyone was nice. The hike also was super clean. I did see a huge tarantula spider! so be careful not to step on one of those!!

1 Completed 1 Reviews

On a hot summer day this is quite a hot hike. With confusing turns across 2 private properties, meeting the friendly guard dog. Then via a fire road into a slim windy trail mountainside that occasionally has small safety concerns. Tons of poison oak or ivy. But the reward are peaceful waterholes near nice camp sites.

4 Completed 2 Reviews

One of my favorite hikes I've done so far. It's not too difficult, until you begin the ascent towards Middle Matilija campground, but the climb doesn't last very long. We made it up to the Middle Matilija campground in about 2.5 hours. The campground is awesome - a creek with plenty of running water, a large fire pit and a steel bbq. There is plenty of shade from the large oak trees. The trail is well marked with yellow dots and arrows painted on rocks up to Middle Matilija camp, after that it's not as well marked. To continue on the trail at Middle Matilija campground, continue due North. The trail will seem to be leaving the creek, but it wraps right back around. Overall, I would highly recommend this trail and I will be back here!

Person_placeholder

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great hike! Pretty short if you are planning on backpacking but definitely perfect for a easy trip. Beautiful pool, rock to jump in off of, and a waterfall! Such an awesome spot!

Icon_

8 Completed 1 Reviews

18 Completed 7 Reviews

Icon_e3e34a21a67dfc91cc42db16d232bcfe

4 Completed 4 Reviews

This is one of my favorite hikes. It has so much to offer. Plenty of creek crossings, slight elevation gain and points to rest. There was poison oak in many places so be careful with that.

42 Completed 2 Reviews

Have hiked this several times. Had a big storm 2 1/2 weeks ago and wanted to see how the water holes and waterfalls were. They were really full and pretty. Saw one other hiker and one snake (not a rattlesnake).

Icon_

31 Completed 22 Reviews

This place is incredible. We went for our first time on Monday (3/3/14) and it was right after a big rain storm so the water was pumping. NOTE: I don't think my experience will be like many others do to this huge flow of water. The road off of HWY 33 was also covered in rocks, so it made the drive in a little rough. The second stream crossing looked like the mighty Mississippi - it was tough to cross without getting wet. The trail was washed out in a lot of areas down by the stream and the higher water level made it just as hard to find some good dry spots to cross when the time came - which was often. Like I said the water was pumping so the waterfalls were incredible. Can't wait to go here again. I only hope that the rain comes again!

Support