Monserate Mountain Trail

HARD
#1 of 1 trails in Live Oak Park
Monserate Mountain Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fallbrook, CA that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from September until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly hiking views
Hide Map

Plenty of parking right off the road.

cali covey

4 Completed4 Reviews

This is a tough trail. According to my Suunto Traverse, it was a 1430 feet ascent to the top, and 4.20 from the parking lot. Steep, lots of loose rock, no shade. You really need to have good shoes. I have Ahnu Mendocino leather boots and I slipped on loose rock and landed on my rear end, on the backside heading down to the water tower from the summit. Can't believe I saw a woman with a baby on the summit taking a selfie. With all the loose rock, ruts, etc. it is not difficult to slip. Great workout. Close to Pala Casino.

Megan Moore

3 Completed5 Reviews

This trail is super fun! I've been doing it since I was a kid - bring lots of water because it is more difficult (uphill and little shade) the views are spectacular. Probably not as little kid friendly because of the difficulty.

Nour Davis

1 Completed1 Reviews

I would say this trail in moderate to difficult, depending on your fitness level or stamina. Me and my friend took the first left up the hill. It proved to be pretty steep and rocky, and we were already breaking a sweat by the top of that first hill. We ended up doing the whole loop in about 2:30 mins, given the fact that we stopped for water breaks, for the dog mostly, and also stopped to take some pictures, ask other hikers questions, and enjoy the view. It was a good 70 degrees so we were sweating the whole time. Brings lots of water and expect to get a nice tan on a nice day. There is a lot of loose rocks and sand so wear the proper shoes. Overall we enjoyed this trail!!!

Denise Christmas

1 Completed1 Reviews

It was beautiful and some what difficult for us. This hike was so much fun and it gave me the lower half workout I needed cause the next morning I woke up I was so sore. I have to say that it says it's good for dogs so we brought my lab and Shepard and it proved to be to much for them. Sadie my lab collapsed half way through. She was well hydrated and the temp was only in the 60s. So if ur pet isn't use to hiking this will not be good for them. Over all it was great and the views were beautiful.

24 Completed35 Reviews

Interesting morning trying to complete hike #25 of the ‪#‎52hikechallenge‬ ‪#‎52hikechallenge2016‬. Originally we (Menifee FitClub and I) were to hike Cucamonga Peak. However after calling the Mt Baldy Information Center it was apparent that it would not be possible without special equipment. So, my backup was to hike the Gomez Trail. It was rated as a hard 11 mile hike. I arrived at the trailhead at about 0615. Got about a third of a mile up and the trail (dirt road) was blocked by a gate with a sign stating "Indian Reservation, No Trespassing. So I turned back and returned to my car. I looked up another trail near by. The Magee Trail. Drove 20 minutes to the trailhead, only to find that it was private property and there was a moder operated gate that was locked. So, I found another trail. Wildhorse Trail in Temecula. I drove 34 minutes only to find an oriental retreat. I decided to go to Monserate Mountain Trail. This is a short 4 mile hike that is rated as difficult. I managed to do two loops and create my own trail down the south end of the ridge and followed a draw back up to the trail. I ended up with 9.73 miles in 3:20 minutes (hiking time). At the end of the day, it was an excellent training hike.

Mason H

9 Completed6 Reviews

This was a moderate hike. if you take a left at the first fork it gets pretty steep and rocky for a mile. I had to stop a few times for water/breath which I havent on some other trails in the area. Pretty great views on a clear day. Nice loop trails. No fee to park

David Proulx

52 Completed52 Reviews

Found this hike easy, definitely not "Hard" compared to some other Hard hikes on alltrails. The views at the top weren't as good as I'd hoped either. Still better than working.

Sarah Paulsen

16 Completed10 Reviews

This is one of the toughest hikes in the area. It's pretty steep, with a lot of loose terrain. It's also not really marked at all, so we kept thinking we'd be done soon and it kept going. If you plan on doing the full loop, be prepared to be in the sun a lot and start early.

Brianna Hammerton

Chelsea Long

7 Completed4 Reviews

I do this hike 2x a week for conditioning. I love it for this reason!!!

Steven Vincent

8 Completed5 Reviews

That was a brutal loop. According to map my hike it was a total of 5.8 miles with 1266 feet in elevation gain. Right out of the gate you are climbing. The first section has a lot of loose rock and some decent ruts. I went right towards the water tower at the split. There is about a .25 mile decent before you start your long access road climb. You need to go left at the second white gate and endure a brutal climb up to the water tower. From there it mellows out for a bit before you start your climb to the peak. The views from the top are gorgeous! It was a little hazy so no ocean views on this trip. You have great views of Palomar to the east and Camp Pendleton to the West. The way down was full of loose rock and some rutting. There is NO WATER so come prepared. Dress appropriately and know your limits. Also be on the look out for rattlesnakes.

Kaitlynn Jones

2 Completed2 Reviews

My husband and I liked the difficulty of this, and the fact that it was a loop. It was pretty steep at some points but it was really nice. Would be 5 stars if it wasn't so close to the highway, that's the only down fall but it was still pretty nice.

24 Completed35 Reviews

Completed a run/walk/hike today. I attempted to run up the most direct route after driving 6.5 hours from Pismo Beach today. Just me, 2.5 litters of water, the trail and my go fasters. Needless to say my legs retaliated on me. I made the entire loop in 1 hour 4 minutes, but it hurt. Great training though.

Kaity Clements

3 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike! Easy to find! Nice steep incline and a relaxing, scenic hike down. We veered off a little different trail but in total hiked 5.2 miles and up 156 flights of stairs according to my FitBit. Only thing I didn't like was it was so close to the freeway!

Robert Ambriz

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike for conditioning! This hike is pretty cardio intensive but very pleasant during the early spring when plants are green, you can spot many western whiptail, western skinks, as well as snakes.

24 Completed35 Reviews

Great conditiioning hike in the fog this morning. This makes 10 of 52 hikes this year. ‪#‎52hikechallenge‬ ‪#‎52hikechallenge2016‬ Monserate Mountain Peak is typically a short hike, but it is easy to add miles to it. Alltrails.com rates this hike as hard. Mostly because of it long steep inclines. Today I took a 30 pound pack, filed with five and a half litters of water, some weights and of course the ten essentials. That just added to the challenge. One of these days I'm going to do this in "go fasters". Just to see if I can run up it.

Rylee Ann

2 Completed2 Reviews

Nice short and challenging hike. Took me 1.5 hours to complete the loop.

Ethan Duffett

Tony Espinoza

5 Completed5 Reviews

Insane incline all the way up. Great view from the top you can see all the mountains with snow on it, from affair.

Kat Wright

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great, safe trail. I like to bring my two pups along, we finish the loop in about 2 hours. Nice morning hike. Definitely dress for a good hike, shoes with good soles and grip are a must. Many people bring hiking pokes. There are some pretty steep, rocky sections. And of course, bring water!