Mount Wilson Trail

#3 of 6 trails in Arcadia Wilderness Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Wilson Trail is a 13.6 mile out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Mandyy Ching (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Angela Zebekis (270)

10 Completed12 Reviews

Did Mt Wilson a couple of weeks ago. The weather was great. The entire hike with covered under a forest like canopy except sparse sections toward the top. I want to elaborate on the difficulty is that depends on your hiking skill but is definitely not a beginner hike due to the incline and mileage of the hike. A Although some will disagree with me a beginner could do it given enough time to complete trip.

Jennifer Fritzel (135)

8 Completed3 Reviews

Awesome trail! Rated difficult and Id say for the reason of the incline and length. Beautiful scenery, indeed! Cosmic Cafe at the top is something to look forward to for sure. Two things- the road to the parking lot is gated and locked until 6am- keep that in mind if you planned on starting any earlier. And lastly, if you plan on doing the entire hike- I recommend you go up on the sturdivant side and then go down winter creek trail. Also, an adventure pass is required. Some folks say it's not- IT IS. ENJOY YOUR HIKE!

Joey Hernandez (162)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Have not made the hike all the way to the top but this weekend I am going all the wY

Dustin Schmidt (129)

35 Completed4 Reviews

Just finished this with my wife, my second time....AWESOME HIKE killer incline. The heat was on today at around 100*, so hydration was really important. We had a nite to eat at the Cosmic Cafe at the top, and then came back down for a total of 14 miles at 8 hours.
Helluva Day

Vincent Gonzales (68)

3 Completed4 Reviews

on the parking situation it's really bad must get there early and if you can get your adventure pass at REI the day before save yourself time and frustration.

Vincent Gonzales (68)

3 Completed4 Reviews

Did Mount Wilson yesterday and really enjoyed it. my older son and I had done Mount Baldy the week before, so this was strenuous but not like Baldy. we would definitely do this hike again.

Vanessa Martins (114)

8 Completed3 Reviews

This was the first of the six pack of peaks. First three miles or so were a breeze.. Then came the last few miles to the top. I thought I would puke a few times (sorry!) and I stopped to rest more times than I can count but I eventually made it. Every part was so worth it and we rewarded ourselves with a hot dog at the top, took off our shoes and just hung out. Views were incredible! Gave away some water and protein bars to a few people on the way down. Pack PLENTY of water and snacks. I drank about 70 oz round trip. Can't wait to bag the next peak!

Donovan Dennis (244)

4 Completed4 Reviews

This trail is certainly not for the faint of heart. I took a group of hikers with varying experience (from novice to experienced) up this trail today and it was quite a challenge. The last several miles to the top seem endless, although every turn affords new incredible views. Be sure to take the little side ledge at the top before the observatory complex for views into the San Gabriels. Took us about 7 hours... but we had lots of stopping for some of the newer hikers. I wouldn't rate it as a double black diamond... rather a moderately strenuous. The trail is in excellent condition and there is no scrambling or any off-trail sections.

Lee Hollingsworth (2190)

88 Completed54 Reviews

An "Adventure Pass" is required for parking at Chantry Flats. There are bathrooms at the trailhead and on top of Mount Wilson (yes, there is a parking lot at the top). Began and finished using the Upper Winter Creek trail. Water along the trail was basically nonexistent though the trail was pretty green. Poison ivy and poison oak were starting to come up as were the bugs. It was hot at the base but cool at the top with a slight breeze. The UWC trail was hard while the trail to Mount Wilson was rocky, full of large pine cones and had crumbling dirt along the multiple switchbacks. The first time I headed up to Mount Wilson I only made it past the bench so I really wanted to "bag the peak". Because the plants are so green there is enough shade along the trails that you won't get baked. There is also two spigots at the top to refill your water, It is deliciously cold.

Support