Mount Wilson Trail

#3 of 6 trails in Arcadia Wilderness Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Wilson Trail is a 13.6 mile out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Dustin Schmidt (114)

33 Completed3 Reviews

Just finished this with my wife, my second time....AWESOME HIKE killer incline. The heat was on today at around 100*, so hydration was really important. We had a nite to eat at the Cosmic Cafe at the top, and then came back down for a total of 14 miles at 8 hours. Helluva Day

Vincent Gonzales (68)

3 Completed4 Reviews

on the parking situation it's really bad must get there early and if you can get your adventure pass at REI the day before save yourself time and frustration.

Vincent Gonzales (68)

3 Completed4 Reviews

Did Mount Wilson yesterday and really enjoyed it. my older son and I had done Mount Baldy the week before, so this was strenuous but not like Baldy. we would definitely do this hike again.

Vanessa Martins (114)

8 Completed3 Reviews

This was the first of the six pack of peaks. First three miles or so were a breeze.. Then came the last few miles to the top. I thought I would puke a few times (sorry!) and I stopped to rest more times than I can count but I eventually made it. Every part was so worth it and we rewarded ourselves with a hot dog at the top, took off our shoes and just hung out. Views were incredible! Gave away some water and protein bars to a few people on the way down. Pack PLENTY of water and snacks. I drank about 70 oz round trip. Can't wait to bag the next peak!

Donovan Dennis (244)

4 Completed4 Reviews

This trail is certainly not for the faint of heart. I took a group of hikers with varying experience (from novice to experienced) up this trail today and it was quite a challenge. The last several miles to the top seem endless, although every turn affords new incredible views. Be sure to take the little side ledge at the top before the observatory complex for views into the San Gabriels. Took us about 7 hours... but we had lots of stopping for some of the newer hikers. I wouldn't rate it as a double black diamond... rather a moderately strenuous. The trail is in excellent condition and there is no scrambling or any off-trail sections.

Lee Hollingsworth (2190)

88 Completed54 Reviews

An "Adventure Pass" is required for parking at Chantry Flats. There are bathrooms at the trailhead and on top of Mount Wilson (yes, there is a parking lot at the top). Began and finished using the Upper Winter Creek trail. Water along the trail was basically nonexistent though the trail was pretty green. Poison ivy and poison oak were starting to come up as were the bugs. It was hot at the base but cool at the top with a slight breeze. The UWC trail was hard while the trail to Mount Wilson was rocky, full of large pine cones and had crumbling dirt along the multiple switchbacks. The first time I headed up to Mount Wilson I only made it past the bench so I really wanted to "bag the peak". Because the plants are so green there is enough shade along the trails that you won't get baked. There is also two spigots at the top to refill your water, It is deliciously cold.

teri c. (372)

Mohammad Khan (487)

17 Completed10 Reviews

I hiked this trail on 4/13, start at 7:41 am, from Sierra Madre, took this trail for the first time and my 2nd trip to Mt. Wilson. Trail was crowded up to first water. Walking below, in and over the cloud was amazing. On my way back, I took a wrong turn on Mt Wilson Rd, and ended up at Altadena Dr. near Eaton Canyon. From start to finish it took me total 7 hrs and 54 minutes. From the wrong turn to Mt. Wilson Rd to Henninger Flat was very quite.

Lynda Chekay (3159)

97 Completed141 Reviews

I start.ed this loop at Chantry Flats and went up the Lower winter creek trail to Sturtevant camp. Form there headed down to Manzanita Ridge down the upper winter creek trail back to the parking lot. Awesome hike

David S (1058)

48 Completed32 Reviews

Started the Mt Wilson trail from Sierra Madre at 7:40 am and with a good 45 min checking out the observatory (had a personal guide for a bit) we made it off the hill by 3:15. It is certainly challenging ascending and long on the descent. Bring a lot of water. I went thru 3 liters. Also some food for the top. You will earn this peak.

Support