Mt. Waterman loop

#57 of 195 trails in Angeles National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mt. Waterman loop is a 6.3 mile loop trail located near Mt Wilson, California. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Sean Skelton (72)

16 Completed2 Reviews

A really enjoyable hike for all, located off of Angeles Crest. I found it by accident a few years ago, looking for no trail in particular... Had to pull over and park when I caught sight of the ski lift.

Alex Garza (281)

9 Completed3 Reviews

Did the hike yesterday. we started off the fire road all the way to the top. It can get confusing because there are lots of false trails. It was a good hike surrounded by forest. Not too many views. The hike is good for beginners. There are no cliffs or any kind of danger the entire hike. The single track coming back is a real treat. Better than the fire road. Hike on!

Jason Ethridge (190)

8 Completed7 Reviews

A super relaxing, easy trail that is well shaded most of the way. There is a bit of an insect problem once you get about halfway up, but otherwise this is a great hike. View all the way to Mt Wilson from the top.

Shannon Holst (770)

17 Completed7 Reviews

Great easy hike with beautiful views. Dog and kid friendly!

Laura Nuñez (442)

12 Completed6 Reviews

For anyone venturing the trail starts across the road from Buckhorn Day Use area, its a fire road around mile marker '58-07' go up the fire road 100 yards and the trail-head stake is on the left. The trail was awesome, beautiful views and a very moderate climb the whole way, with only a steep incline to get up to the summit. After the summit continue on the trail until you get to the fire road. I would have given it 5 stars but the last 3.5 miles of the trail are on the fire road (you walk through Waterman Ski Resort-there's a map there), but you can always go back the way you came.

Matt Rosenberg (323)

12 Completed2 Reviews

Discovered Mt. Waterman by chance and knew I had to check it out. Drove out and spent Saturday hiking the amazing trail. Out & back it was about 7.5 miles but it was the most relaxing/moderate hike I've been on in awhile. The whole time you're covered with the foliage of the trees but the sun peeks through every now & then. At every turn you're gifted with amazing views so make sure to bring a good camera and a snack to enjoy when you reach the summit/plateau. You can do some bouldering once you reach the top...it's really just an amazing time.
We started our hike fairly late (1pm-ish) so we didn't have a lot of time to enjoy the summit bc the sun was going down and it was getting chilly. I recommend starting out at 8am so you have hours to play around when you reach the top.

* I'll be posting some pics on my instagram so check them out if you'd like: @mister_mr

John Roelofs (133)

5 Completed4 Reviews

Beautiful trail, stunning vistas, not too strenuous. Went up here Memorial Day weekend and it was relatively secluded. We only ran into 3 other people on the trail. Peak season is June thru October, otherwise you're in for some chilly weather. There's a junction almost halfway around the loop, assuming you're hiking clockwise, where the trail splits. To your right the waterman mountain loop continues up to the summit plateau. To the left you will head down a series of switchbacks towards twin peaks and beyond. We foolishly took a left and while we were rewarded by more gorgeous views and myriad red, purple, and yellow wildflowers, it took us way off course. Hiking back up those switchbacks was punishing. However, if you do it right it's a glorious day hike. If you want to make a weekend of it go left to find a wilderness campsite and more trails to explore.

Kyle Mccown (858)

31 Completed22 Reviews

Hiked today (5/18/14). No snow, but no problem - still beautiful. The only bummer was that it wasn't a super clear day.

Mohammad Khan (487)

17 Completed10 Reviews

I hiked this trail on 3/16/2014. There were still some snow here and there. I had to stop many times to take pictures, very beautiful views! Peak has many big size rocks, which were easy to climb, just in case you want to go to the peak to see survey mark. I took ATV trail to descend which was not as scenic as compared to hiking trail. I saw two hikers with their dog but not in lease. I think, I will hike this trail again but won't take ATV trail. BTW, if have hard time to find the trailhead, it's just near 58-00 miles mark.

Travis Alexander (146)

12 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike through the Angeles National Forest with some beautiful views near the peak. Very few people, though since its right on the 2, you will hear the motorcycles riding by for at least a 3rd of the hike.

Support