Packsaddle Cave Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 90 trails in Sequoia National Forest
l>
Packsaddle Cave Trail is a 4.6 mile out and back trail located near Springville, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

4.6 miles 1988 feet Out & Back
dog friendly hiking trail running walking cave river views wildlife
Hide Map

Trail gains elevation fairly constantly with a 900 ft gain to cross the ridge/saddle. Along this incline you can see deer brush. manzanita, live oak, digger pine and sagebrush. Trail dips down to the creek - crossing it about three times. Cave has stalactites and stalagmites - bring flashlight.

Robbyn Belezzuoli

1 Completed0 Reviews

Loved this trail!! Can't wait to do it again!!!

Jonathan Masterson

1 Completed2 Reviews

Still snow on the trail and didn't make it to the cave as there's an icy wall covering the trail making it treacherous.

Jonathan Masterson

1 Completed2 Reviews

Anthony Hilario

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was a pretty cool hike. I've probably hike this like 5X now. The cave is quite difficult to spot, but things to remember to be able to spot it: you will cross some streams and it would look more like a forest, you're probably about 15-20 minutes from the cave. Just look on your left, you will start to hike on SOLID ROCKS rather than dirt and it becomes dirt again and the road should divide in 2. Take the Left and the cave can be seen. Enjoy.

Gio Mendez

2 Completed2 Reviews

This is an awesome trail .
I mean I'm sure there is many more cooler places to go or much more nicer but this particular trail is my favorite ..
(661)304-8377 I'm from Bakersfield so hit me up if you are down to hike I'm always looking for a challenge haha
And if u are a girl even better :)

Brandon Brummett

4 Completed1 Reviews

Good hike.

Allison Lively

3 Completed2 Reviews

Deceptively difficult! This trail is about three miles straight up and 3 straight down, interchanging each mile. The first mile is the most difficult part, but the rest is only slightly less so. Bring LOTS of water with you and a snack - this will take you several hours! It's beautiful when you get to the creek beds, and just below the cave there is a nice shaded place to rest and relax- but its covered in trash by hikers that suck. wear good shoes, bring a headlamp for the cave, and watch the trail for snakes and scat - there was a FRESH pile of bear poo on the trail when we went!

Manuel Metzger

1 Completed1 Reviews

The hike is a little brutal when it's 101 but the cave was definitely worth it. I suggest not going in summer.

Doug Porter

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike, just got back today (5-30-15) my fourth time up. A little disappointed this trip because people have been littering here and there throughout the trail, leaving camping gear and small bits of trash in the cave, many stalactites and stalagmites have been cut and taken, and the walls of the cave are being littered more with graffiti each time I've gone. Still a great hike, great views, and not as highly traveled or trashed as you tend to see at more accessible areas. Also found an old attempted mine shaft (prospect) on the North side of the stream, where the waterfall is just before the trail crosses the stream for the final time before getting to the cave. Shaft went about 40-50 feet back. Also noticed an area before the cave where there is what appears to be an opening (for those who have never been) and there are two very steep trails that ascend directly up the grade to this hole. This is just a small pocket in the rock face, do not follow these trails. The trail to the cave will be a easy to moderate climb, and will branch out west from the main trail, across the grade of the range, not directly up the steep graded hill.

Alejandra Durand

6 Completed7 Reviews

We're pretty fortunate people to have this hike so close to Bakersfield. The beginning of the hike has little shade, so I would recommend a hat. We love that we're able to take our dog with us, and each time we go we only see a few people and it's not very busy. The cave definitely a good prize at the end of this hike. At the end of the hike, go right up to the rock(not around it) and start to head up the hill right about the rock. If you're struggling to get to the cave, you might have stepped off the trail. It's not too long, but it definitely feels more than a 900 elevation. I've done this hike about 3 times, and I'll continue to do it every spring. Would recommend.