Packsaddle Cave Trail

#1 of 91 trails in Sequoia National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Hike begins about 16 miles north of Kernville on Mtn. 99. Just north of the Fairview Campground. Trail climbs 3 miles to the cave. Bring a flashlight to explore the cave to see the remaining stalactites and stalagmites .

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Alejandra Durand (143)

2 Completed2 Reviews

We're pretty fortunate people to have this hike so close to Bakersfield. The beginning of the hike has little shade, so I would recommend a hat. We love that we're able to take our dog with us, and each time we go we only see a few people and it's not very busy. The cave definitely a good prize at the end of this hike. At the end of the hike, go right up to the rock(not around it) and start to head up the hill right about the rock. If you're struggling to get to the cave, you might have stepped off the trail. It's not too long, but it definitely feels more than a 900 elevation. I've done this hike about 3 times, and I'll continue to do it every spring. Would recommend.

Juan Viramontes (147)

2 Completed2 Reviews

I ran this trail yesterday, 4/03/2015 it's a tough climb up but totally doable and well worth the views from the top of the ridge before you drop into packsaddle canyon. Once you get to the cave, what you see is stunning, the cave is huge inside and it is formed of beautiful crystalized formations with musk triple chambers. The round trip is not 6.5 miles as listed on here, I ran it with my GPS watch and it was just shy of 5 miles round trip. Everyone who visits the Sequoias should make this trail and cave their top priority!

Robert Thurston (47)

2 Completed1 Reviews

I cant believe I have lived here 10 years and just did this trail this weekend for the first time, definitely worth the effort even though the first mile kicked my ass

Shawn Carman (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked Packsaddle Trail today with my 10 year old son. We throroughly enjoyed it. Great views, amazing greenery, and the cave was fun to explore. Definitely recommend this to anyone in the area and definitely get started early, before the afternoon heat.

Dalin Hamm (143)

2 Completed2 Reviews

I hiked this trail February 8,2015.. The first part of the hike was the worst part because its straight uphill but after you get to the top the view is beautiful. The weather was perfect and it was sooo green. We passed the cave because we missed the markers but we turned around and found it. The cave was like nothing I've ever seen before. Definitely my favorite hike of all time.

Dalia Wilde (284)

23 Completed5 Reviews

It's one of the harder hikes I've done, but very fun. Start early because it gets really hot and bring lots of water. We did encounter a rattlesnake on the way (after the first time we crossed the stream) so be very careful. Headlamps, and flashlights are helpful. There's not really any signs showing you you're on the right path so after you've reached the big boulder next to the three headed tree keep walking for a few minutes and when the path divides into two take the left one up the mountain and you should be able to see the cave then. Watch out for the bats on top of the cave!

Steve Hylton (2371)

46 Completed49 Reviews

Just hiked this trail on 4/5/14 and its in good shape other then when it drops down into Packsaddle Canyon it gets a little brushy but passable. The creek is flowing due to the spring snowmelt so expect to get your feet wet as the trail crosses the creek a few times. Didn't go inside the cave but not to bad other then some minor vandalism at the mouth of the cave where people like to carve their names that they were here etc...

Vanessa Terry (363)

11 Completed11 Reviews

This just might be my new favorite hike. We made it a family event and all three of my kids enjoyed it. That being said we took our time and completed it in 4 hours there and back, stopping to play in the stream, for lunch and of course to explore the cave itself. I would recommend some sort of nose covering if you have allergies at all for in the cave as it's pretty loose sand and gets dusty with a lot of people walking around in there. Great views, lots of different elevations (up's and down's) and over all a great family adventure.

Wayne Moore (364)

8 Completed3 Reviews

Correction on last post 5.5 there and back.

Wayne Moore (364)

8 Completed3 Reviews

Great trail. On the harder side of moderate. Cave is awesome, bring a flashlight. 5.5 miles to the cave and accent is close to 2000 ft. This site doesn't mention that.

Support