Packsaddle Cave Trail

#2 of 91 trails in Sequoia National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Hike begins about 16 miles north of Kernville on Mtn. 99. Just north of the Fairview Campground. Trail climbs 3 miles to the cave. Bring a flashlight to explore the cave to see the remaining stalactites and stalagmites .

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Dalia Icedo (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

It's one of the harder hikes I've done, but very fun. Start early because it gets really hot and bring lots of water. We did encounter a rattlesnake on the way (after the first time we crossed the stream) so be very careful. Headlamps, and flashlights are helpful. There's not really any signs showing you you're on the right path so after you've reached the big boulder next to the three headed tree keep walking for a few minutes and when the path divides into two take the left one up the mountain and you should be able to see the cave then. Watch out for the bats on top of the cave!

Steve Hylton (1937)

42 Completed44 Reviews

Just hiked this trail on 4/5/14 and its in good shape other then when it drops down into Packsaddle Canyon it gets a little brushy but passable. The creek is flowing due to the spring snowmelt so expect to get your feet wet as the trail crosses the creek a few times. Didn't go inside the cave but not to bad other then some minor vandalism at the mouth of the cave where people like to carve their names that they were here etc...

Vanessa Terry (363)

11 Completed11 Reviews

This just might be my new favorite hike. We made it a family event and all three of my kids enjoyed it. That being said we took our time and completed it in 4 hours there and back, stopping to play in the stream, for lunch and of course to explore the cave itself. I would recommend some sort of nose covering if you have allergies at all for in the cave as it's pretty loose sand and gets dusty with a lot of people walking around in there. Great views, lots of different elevations (up's and down's) and over all a great family adventure.

Wayne Moore (364)

8 Completed3 Reviews

Correction on last post 5.5 there and back.

Wayne Moore (364)

8 Completed3 Reviews

Great trail. On the harder side of moderate. Cave is awesome, bring a flashlight. 5.5 miles to the cave and accent is close to 2000 ft. This site doesn't mention that.

John Hampton (567)

37 Completed14 Reviews

This is a fun little hike, not too hard, but it can get extremely hot in the summer! Bring plenty of water! The cave is pretty big, but easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. When you get the the Rincon trail sign, look up the mountain to your left and you will see the cave. Bring a flashlight and be safe!

Ryan Ot (92)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Not an easy hike for those who are used to lower elevations. And yes, start early if you go in July. 95 degrees when we started at 9am.

John Hampton (567)

37 Completed14 Reviews

I did this hike this last weekend and it was pretty cool. The weather was about 80 degrees and it still felt pretty hot. There is no shade until you get to the creek crossings and everything else is pretty dry and dusty. The cave was great and there is plenty to explore. I hiked the trail with my one year old daughter on my back, stopped to eat at the cave with some exploring, total trip time was about 3 hours.

Joshua Stuck (365)

11 Completed11 Reviews

I would consider this hike moderate to difficult. I hiked this trail in january and it was snowing the whole way. There was about 6 inches of snow on the trail. There is only like 960 feet in elevation gain from trail head to the cave but total elevation gain from all the decends and back up equals 2,240 feet for the whole hike. The cave was awesome after about two miles you will see the cave up the mountain to the left. Overall i thought this waa a great hike and enjoyed the scenery in the snow.

Anna Wu (2237)

48 Completed19 Reviews

If you plan to visit this trail during July like I did, start early and bring lots of water. I started my hike around 10am; it was HOT, not much shades until I reached the creek. Trailhead is across the road just north of Fairveiw Campground. Trail ascends up to cross the mountain and descends to a creek, then up again to the cave (bring flashlight).

Support