Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Red Hills Loop is a 8.2 mile loop trail located near Jamestown, California. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding.

Once a restricted area for military training maneuvers, this wild landscape is now open to the public. The trails are unmaintained, and the landscape is pristine. Parts of the trails are made up of old wagon roads. It is a wonderful place to spend the day, especially in mid spring, when the wildflowers are in bloom, and the rattlesnakes are still underground.

The Red Hills are located between Keystone and Chinese Camp, on Red Hills Rd. On Hwy 120/49, turn to drive through Chinese Camp. At the end of the road turn left on Red Hills Rd. The parking lot is located a couple miles down the road. In the wet season the road will closed due to flooding.

A parking lot is large enough to accommodate several cars, and a few trucks with horse trailers.

7 Completed 4 Reviews

Nice hike the trails aren't so bad little rocky but I like that. The trails could be marked better. Make sure you use your GPS or you can get really sideways and find yourself doing a lot more than you need to. Be prepared to carry lots of water no water on the trails whatsoever. Also be prepared to spend a lot of alone time I think we ran into maybe one other person on the trail.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

OK....this is a great running trail (5 stars on that!). However, there is no water on the trail. None. Zero. I wound up running a pretty hot 13 + miler out on these trails (I got turned around on some trails below overlook and near-ish to the reservoir) but I carried 2 -liters of water in my camelback...I used every drop. Be prepared here. Finally, the advice about carrying a good map and/or GPS is no joke ...especially if this is your first time here. My 8 miler turned into a 13 miler because the trails are not well marked and I made one wrong turn. Now I know and will be more vigilant next time. I was far too casual in my approach here...this is no city park...it is a hot, red rock wilderness with zero amenities (other than a bathroom at the trailhead) and not much shade. It's all good if you prepare for it...but not so good if you don't. Finally, if you go counterclockwise, there is less signage and (I think) it is easier to get turned around. Start at the trailhead near the bathrooms and go clockwise...I think it is more hospitable and marked much better.

4 Completed 3 Reviews

IF YOU ARE RIDING A BIKE. I would not recommend it. Way too rocky. Spent well over 70% of my time pushing my bike up the hills. Other then that its really nice

12 Completed 2 Reviews

Parts of this trail are beautiful but other parts are fairly bland (for the area). The stagecoach trail is fun because it gives you a good idea of what it must have been like traveling in this area in the 1800's. There are a lot of unmarked splits and side-trails that sometimes make it difficult to stay on track. Highly recommend GPS in case a wrong turn is made.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Went last weekend, absolutely gorgeous with the wildflowers in bloom.

Person_placeholder

Brenda Myers

2 Completed 2 Reviews

went last weekend, it was a fun hike. my first time out there, I plan to go back in a few weeks in hopes the wild flowers will be out. great place to geocache

Person_placeholder

4 Completed 2 Reviews

Very rocky for mountain biking. Great views, back to the future three filmed here.

13 Completed 4 Reviews

Red hills is a fun trail, It is so universal. There are a few places it branches if you don't want to do the full 8 miles. Lots of creek crossings for the dogs to splash in, can get a little muddy in the winter time but still passable.

9 Completed 4 Reviews

Easy trails to follow and a nice environment in the late fall. I would be wary of summer on these trails as there is no water and little shade. Moderate is a fair description as there are several long hikes up hill. I think you can see Half Dome from the tops of the hills looking due east. I do not know what else that large granite rock woul be. There were horse trailers and cars in the parking lot but we did not see a soul on the trail.

Icon_4f8c9de85037f1cf26024cfcfe281da2

6 Completed 4 Reviews

Nice day hike. We even discovered another hike on Red Hills Rd. It was more of an off road trail but it was a good 5 or 6 mile round trip. It was only a mile or so north east on Res Hills Rd away from the main trail head.

Support