Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Red Hills Loop is a 8.2 mile loop trail located near Jamestown, California. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Michael Erisman (50)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I have been on this trail countless times and have noticed that this trail's rating depends greatly on the time of year. During spring, a few weeks after a heavy rain, when the flowers are blooming it is a beautiful trail for new or even young hikers (my first time I completed the 12 mile loop I was about 9 or 10 started hiking when I could walk). In the summer months however this trail just plain out sucks, it can get easily into the 100°s and like someone said earlier there is little to no water (the only source of water that i can remember is a creek way in the back that does not run for the back half of summer). In the end I would suggest if you want a short day hike to give this trail a try it will be well worth your time on a nice spring day.

John Thompson (529)

13 Completed12 Reviews

I have lived in the area a long time but never hiked the trail before. I always thought this was mainly a horseback trail but I see now that many people hike and even try to bicycle the trail too. Well, I took my Garmin out and headed counter clockwise and I quickly began to find the many places were the the trail splits off to the right, thereby enlarging the loop. I stayed to the left for the most part and still managed over 5 miles. I did, however feel that it may be possible to wander about for weeks out here, there were so many trails veering off all around. Yes there are hills and yes they are red. But it's hard to notice them with so many rocks to stumble over. Wear shoes with good ankle support. This place is a rock-hounds dream and a well-diggers nightmare. I saw a family of very unhappy bicyclists pushing their two-wheelers up the rocky slopes. I don't think this was what they expected, so beware if you are planning to bring the little ones here for a ride. Because of the great accessibility, maintenance and miles of different trails to check out, I give it a four star rating. When I have time to explore further I will be back out there on this one.

John Truncali (381)

9 Completed4 Reviews

Nice hike the trails aren't so bad little rocky but I like that. The trails could be marked better. Make sure you use your GPS or you can get really sideways and find yourself doing a lot more than you need to. Be prepared to carry lots of water no water on the trails whatsoever. Also be prepared to spend a lot of alone time I think we ran into maybe one other person on the trail.

robert swan (48)

1 Completed1 Reviews

OK....this is a great running trail (5 stars on that!). However, there is no water on the trail. None. Zero. I wound up running a pretty hot 13 + miler out on these trails (I got turned around on some trails below overlook and near-ish to the reservoir) but I carried 2 -liters of water in my camelback...I used every drop. Be prepared here. Finally, the advice about carrying a good map and/or GPS is no joke ...especially if this is your first time here. My 8 miler turned into a 13 miler because the trails are not well marked and I made one wrong turn. Now I know and will be more vigilant next time. I was far too casual in my approach here...this is no city park...it is a hot, red rock wilderness with zero amenities (other than a bathroom at the trailhead) and not much shade. It's all good if you prepare for it...but not so good if you don't. Finally, if you go counterclockwise, there is less signage and (I think) it is easier to get turned around. Start at the trailhead near the bathrooms and go clockwise...I think it is more hospitable and marked much better.

Nicholas Hartzler (207)

4 Completed3 Reviews

IF YOU ARE RIDING A BIKE. I would not recommend it. Way too rocky. Spent well over 70% of my time pushing my bike up the hills. Other then that its really nice

Jim Mcintire (575)

12 Completed2 Reviews

Parts of this trail are beautiful but other parts are fairly bland (for the area). The stagecoach trail is fun because it gives you a good idea of what it must have been like traveling in this area in the 1800's. There are a lot of unmarked splits and side-trails that sometimes make it difficult to stay on track. Highly recommend GPS in case a wrong turn is made.

Starla Nelson (67)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Went last weekend, absolutely gorgeous with the wildflowers in bloom.

Brenda M. (156)

went last weekend, it was a fun hike. my first time out there, I plan to go back in a few weeks in hopes the wild flowers will be out. great place to geocache

Carl Hansen (145)

13 Completed3 Reviews

Very rocky for mountain biking. Great views, back to the future three filmed here.

Kristen Whitt (204)

15 Completed4 Reviews

Red hills is a fun trail, It is so universal. There are a few places it branches if you don't want to do the full 8 miles. Lots of creek crossings for the dogs to splash in, can get a little muddy in the winter time but still passable.

Support