Red Hills Loop Trail

MODERATE
Jamestown, CA
Red Hills Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jamestown, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

dog friendly kid friendly birding hiking mountain biking nature trips trail running walking horses forest views wild flowers wildlife rocky
Hide Map

Once a restricted area for military training maneuvers, this wild landscape is now open to the public. The trails are unmaintained, and the landscape is pristine. Parts of the trails are made up of old wagon roads. It is a wonderful place to spend the day, especially in mid spring, when the wildflowers are in bloom, and the rattlesnakes are still underground.

Red Epidermis

1 Completed1 Reviews

rocky but fun. beautiful wildflowers

Ashley Anzar

2 Completed1 Reviews

it was great and even my kids liked it.

Jennifer Newton

1 Completed1 Reviews

The creek was very low but the wildflowers were everywhere with a very large variety! The trail was rocky but 5 year old did great! Dogs had a blast!!

Christina Constancio

Marco Molina

1 Completed2 Reviews

Marco Molina

1 Completed2 Reviews

Bianca Figueroa

5 Completed6 Reviews

It was pretty but thinking its a better bike or horse trail!

Deborah S.

Deborah S.

Michael Green

1 Completed1 Reviews

Like other reviewers have said, its very rocky. We went on the first day of spring 2016 and the grass was green and the wildflowers were still in bloom. The trails are good for hiking but they are more geared for horseback riders, and for the truly adventurous mountain bikers. All in all its a good hike. I would not do this on in the middle of summer though. Like I said first day of spring the temps were at 71 and it was getting warm due to the limited shade.

Kevin Gruver

1 Completed1 Reviews

Easy, except the trail is very rocky. Easy to slip and hard on the feet. Beautiful in early March.

Jean S.

8 Completed8 Reviews

It was a fun trail. Very rocky and the water was good for the dogs to get cool in! We hiked a 6 mile loop. We didn't start where the horse trails start. We went up the road further and parked on a rough dirt road on the left. It was enjoyable and when we had the choice, we went up!

Michelle Mims

2 Completed2 Reviews

Very nice horseback riding trail. Be careful of the rattlesnakes as it warms up.

Arianna Vasquez

2 Completed2 Reviews

Very fun trail. My family loves walking around the miles of trails, but only in the early spring or late fall. Lots of cool rocks of different colors and very little people. Our little dog loves to run free around here too, and yes we pick up after him.

Michael G.

Nice little hike with beautiful scenery of the rolling hills! Perfect for man's best friend.

Jessica Esparza

2 Completed1 Reviews

Lots of rocks so wear good shoes, watch out for horse poop, the end of the loop for me was the hardest. But totally worth it.

Manuel S.

Christina Santos

8 Completed4 Reviews

Went on Labor Day, noontime so it was quite hot. Horses are allowed on the trail and there were two ahead of us. Be prepared to encounter fresh horse manure is what I'm trying to say. Hike is pretty easy. Not a lot of shade at the beginning of the trail so make sure you wear a hat and cool clothing, and plenty of water. Since we were hiking with a big dog, we were not able to finish the 8-mile loop but will definitely return for another trek.

Miguel Morales

1 Completed1 Reviews

This trail sucks is not worth the time there's zero people hiking it so in case of an emergency you are on your own. I went this last Sunday and my dog got bit by something and I couldn't get him out fast enough there was absolutely nobody not even in the parking lot. This place sucks I don't recommend it

John Frye

8 Completed1 Reviews

I hike this trail often in the summer, it's a great place to train for arid heat. Yesterday I got a real treat -- 2 bald eagles near the farthest point from the north parking area (marked "27" on soaproot trail on the ACEC map). Absolutely stunning. I've read that they only come here in the winter, so this was a surprise.