Rubicon Trail

#1 of 3 trails in D. L. Bliss State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Rubicon Trail is a 8 mile out and back trail located near south lake tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until September.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Annabell Vasilkov (50)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Easy trail with the most amazing view. My friend and I decided to run the trail, 'twas perfect.

Christina Mason (67)

2 Completed2 Reviews

I am new to hiking in the Tahoe area, so I was looking for something easy on the eyes with good views and within my physical ability. This was perfect! It is a fairly flat trail and I would rate it as easy except for one or two more moderate spots. The trail is clearly marked and the views of the lake and Emerald Bay are exceptional. This is a very do-able trail and you can make it a good long hike, like I did, or you can turn around. Either way, you won't miss out on the beauty that is Lake Tahoe.

Rachael Simon (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

beautiful views of the lake and a great hike.

Kaahl Solbergolito (148)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Relatively easy trail with views of the lake. Recommend it!

Emily Doisy (67)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is a great hike in Tahoe. It gives great views of the lake and is fairly easy- only a few hills. We parked at near Calawee Cove Beach in D.L. Bliss and hiked down to Vikingsholm where another car was waiting- hardest part of the day was finding parking spots mid-day on a high season Saturday. When you come out at Vikingsholm, you are going up a road. We went the wrong way and ended up at Lower Eagle Falls (also pretty, but not the exit we were looking for). A great intro hike to the Tahoe area.

Michael Tanchek (1005)

55 Completed34 Reviews

This is a gorgeous little trail along Lake Tahoe's west shore. We hiked from the Eagle Falls Trailhead to Rubicon Point/Callawee Cove and back; about ten miles round trip. I'd call it an easy trail since most of it is either level or gently sloped. The beginning part, the switchback road down to Vikingsholm, can be a grind coming back up and there is a short cliffside section at Rubicon Point (I'm acrophobic, but could navigate it without much trouble.) The views are great as a lot of the trail is at lake level. On the way back, I'd recommend going up the Lighthouse Trail for a short diversion to the historic Rubicon Point Lighthouse.

Faraz Mir (76)

2 Completed2 Reviews

great workout and a beautiful bay

Stephen Chadwick (81)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike. Amazing views. Not too challenging.

Ashley Shuyler (96)

1 Completed1 Reviews

A beautiful trail with incredible views on a clear day!

Dyanne Ransom (383)

16 Completed14 Reviews

One of my favorites when there's no one around. Grew up hiking and biking it from the time I was a kid. Nice when it's quiet.

Support