Rubicon Trail

Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Rubicon Trail is a 8 mile out and back trail located near south lake tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until September.

Directions from South Lake Tahoe: Take Highway 89 north 10 miles to D.L. Bliss State Park. There is a fee for day use parking.

California Travel and Tourism Commision, P.O. Box 1499 , Sacramento, CA, 95812-1499, Phone: 800-862-2543

37 Completed 21 Reviews

This is a gorgeous little trail along Lake Tahoe's west shore. We hiked from the Eagle Falls Trailhead to Rubicon Point/Callawee Cove and back; about ten miles round trip. I'd call it an easy trail since most of it is either level or gently sloped. The beginning part, the switchback road down to Vikingsholm, can be a grind coming back up and there is a short cliffside section at Rubicon Point (I'm acrophobic, but could navigate it without much trouble.) The views are great as a lot of the trail is at lake level. On the way back, I'd recommend going up the Lighthouse Trail for a short diversion to the historic Rubicon Point Lighthouse.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

great workout and a beautiful bay

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great hike. Amazing views. Not too challenging.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

A beautiful trail with incredible views on a clear day!

16 Completed 14 Reviews

One of my favorites when there's no one around. Grew up hiking and biking it from the time I was a kid. Nice when it's quiet.

6 Completed 6 Reviews

By far the most beautiful hike at Lake Tahoe my wife and I have hiked it many times always enjoy it lots of traffic restrooms at both ends of hike

27 Completed 2 Reviews

I started my hike by the Vikingsholm museum and the lady at the souvenir shop was very nice to give me a heads up about the trail. The hike is relatively easy, probably even for beginners. The trail is well-marked. Emerald Bay is stunning and sightings of Canadian Geese and colorful birds are added treats.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

Beautiful trail in the fall. We even saw some kokanee salmon making their upstream migration.

17 Completed 16 Reviews

WOW !!! Talk about the views!!! GREAT hike with family June 28, 2012. We also did some Geo-Caching (first time) with my step-mother.

Terry X

23 Completed 15 Reviews

I was here in early June and there was still a ton of snow on most of the trails, so we did this one by default, but that doesn't mean it's not worth doing. Emerald Bay is simply stunning, and this is a great hike along the coast out to Rubicon Point. If you go all the way out and all the way back, it's a 13 mile hike, and if you start atop the Vikingsholm Trail it's 14+ miles, although going back up that steep hill after hiking out to Rubicon Point and back is truly exhausting. Rubicon Trail offers some hiking along the coast of Emerald Bay, and it also takes you up into the hillside among the pines before dropping you back down along the coast of Lake Tahoe. Take a short detour and check out the outhouse! Makes for a stellar day of hiking.

Support