Rubicon Trail

HARD
#1 of 2 trails in D. L. Bliss State Park
true
Rubicon Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tahoma, CA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until September.

kid friendly birding hiking nature trips walking forest lake views wild flowers wildlife
Hide Map

Directions from South Lake Tahoe: Take Highway 89 north 10 miles to D.L. Bliss State Park. There is a fee for day use parking.

Kelly Farnham

1 Completed0 Reviews

Beautiful!

Hilary Willard

129 Completed8 Reviews

Christine S.

BEAUTIFUL!! the entire trail is spectacular views, started out at Calawee Cove and ended up Vikingsholm where I had lunch, watches the kayakers and paddle boarders from the beach. it is 4.6 miles from cove to castle, went in mid September, probably ran into 15-20 people the way there and back, so not too crowded. It was hot when I got back, and there is great beach access at the cove for a quick dip in the lake to cool off. can't wait to do this hike again, all the way to Eagle Falls next time.

Dennis and Mary Kirk

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail but the length is misleading. If you start at Dl Bluss State Park add at least 1 1/2 to 2 miles each way to get to trailhead from parking lot. I mile each way if you start at the other end. We used the bus parked at one end and took a bus back to our car. Still 8 miles plus to hike one way.

sherry chappell

5 Completed3 Reviews

Beautiful views of the lake. We started at the vikingsholm entrance. Easy hiking down from there and along trail. Hard part was hiking back out of vikingsholm after hiking 6 miles. It was also more crowded but views made it worth it.

Hilary Willard

129 Completed8 Reviews

Jessa Shivo

6 Completed6 Reviews

My favorite hike, it is so beautiful.

Michelle I.

Awesome hike. Started in the Lighthouse trail and then merged to the Rubicon. Took it just shy of the entrance to Emerald Cove. Would love to do it again and finish it.

Carin Chumbley

25 Completed29 Reviews

We hiked from DL Bliss to Vikingsholm and back. Such a beautiful hike, amazing views of the lake the entire way. I would rate it as easy, fairly flat with just a few gentle slopes. We spent most of the day doing it because we ate our lunches in Emerald Bay and toured Vikingsholm. I highly recommend it!

Crystal Ramirez

14 Completed14 Reviews

If you want to experience Lake Tahoe in a different way, this is a great hike. Beautiful views that can only be seen on this hike or by boat. Cant wait until we can go with our family

Grace Isaacson

78 Completed24 Reviews

Christopher Ireland

8 Completed8 Reviews

Extraordinary hike that winds down to the water and back up around the rim. You should pack a lunch, stop to swim and give it a full day to enjoy. Parking is awful during the high tourist seasons so plan accordingly.

Katrina Kimber

3 Completed3 Reviews

I hike this at least once a year! Great hike to bring new people. So pretty and very easy. Make sure you hike ALL the way to the top of Eagle Falls for lunch, not just to Vikingsholm.

Connie Bowland

1 Completed1 Reviews

Such beautiful views of the lake! Take polarized sunglasses !

Kerry Golub

2 Completed1 Reviews

Amazing views! I've hiked it twice and I recommend it to everyone. I agree it's a moderate hike. An even amount of up and down, shade and sun, and some rock climbing.

Darrell Bosacki

13 Completed4 Reviews

Spectacular views!

Christian Jones

Anais Tomlinson

43 Completed7 Reviews

Pretty easy trail, has some nice views of the lake. Kind of the same scenery for an 8 mile hike though.

Annabell Vasilkov

7 Completed2 Reviews

Easy trail with the most amazing view. My friend and I decided to run the trail, 'twas perfect.

Christina Mason

2 Completed2 Reviews

I am new to hiking in the Tahoe area, so I was looking for something easy on the eyes with good views and within my physical ability. This was perfect! It is a fairly flat trail and I would rate it as easy except for one or two more moderate spots. The trail is clearly marked and the views of the lake and Emerald Bay are exceptional. This is a very do-able trail and you can make it a good long hike, like I did, or you can turn around. Either way, you won't miss out on the beauty that is Lake Tahoe.