Sly Park - Jenkinson Lake Loop

MODERATE
#5 of 72 trails in Eldorado National Forest
Sly Park - Jenkinson Lake Loop is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pollock Pines, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

kid friendly canoeing fishing hiking mountain biking trail running walking horses lake waterfall
Hide Map

Ryan Thrift
39 minutes ago

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great easy hike especially when the lake is full. Easy to get to from Sacramento, about an hour. Dog friendly trail.

Sarah Brar

2 Completed2 Reviews

Weather was great. Hiking through the campgrounds wasn't ideal but the other side of the lake was gorgeous. Good workout. Will definitely do again

Chris Brown

2 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful

Ray Bouknight

88 Completed14 Reviews

I parked at one of approximately 5 free spots prior to the entrance. The nice lady in the pay station suggested I park there if I was just hiking around the lake. Otherwise I would have had to park inside for $11 or find a spot along the road which many people seem to do. As for the hike itself, I logged almost 10 miles around the lake. Be careful walking along the dams. There is very little walking space and some blind corners the cars have to take. Along certain parts around the lake, the trail through some campsites. The campground road is actually the trail in some areas. The road is marked with white "trail' markings indicating the trail. The waterfall is cool. Don't miss that. Luckily I went in the spring when it was flowing well.

Danielle Shelton

1 Completed1 Reviews

I do the entire hike about once a month for the last year, and as a photographer there's so much to take photos of on the hike, especially the waterfall!

Paul R.

nicely maintained trail my wife, self and two small dogs made the trek. we will be back for sure. it was mot very busy and still patvhes of snow in the shade.

Cyndi Hughes

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great day for a hike with family! Took the dog and she loved it. This is the second time in a week I have hiked this. Good exercise with amazing views! Not too much traffic during the week.

Hannah Porter

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail with beautiful scenery

MrMshep79 MrMshep79

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail! I parked at the free parking at the entrance then went around the dams. This worked out because the trail is flatter on the side of the campgrounds, also the bathrooms on this side as well. I think the trail is longer than 7.7 miles. I did some extra exploring at miwok trail and the campgrounds and my phone had me at 13.9 miles. I will post a screen shot.

Robert C

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike. 3-3 1/2 hours at a moderate pace.

Linda Gage

7 Completed2 Reviews

Love this place! Great trail around the lake or go kayaking on the lake. Very busy place in summer with campers and locals getting out to enjoy some fun on the lake.

Justin Lagge

17 Completed16 Reviews

Hit some snow today. I was cold but really liked the 1" of snow that blanketed the area.
Not many people around this time of year.
Had a great time. Map system shows 10.3 miles for loop and 2.9mph

Tina Pierini

5 Completed5 Reviews

Nice trail but lots of camping areas that you have to walk through. I'd hate to walk through there during peak camping season. Great place for late season camping, you would have the place to your self. .
We walked this loop in 3 hours with only a few short stops to hydrate and take a layer off.

Rob Aadland

6 Completed4 Reviews

Great hike, we recorded the distance as just a little over 9 miles following the trail all the way around the lake.

Renee Viehmann

1 Completed1 Reviews

Started at South Shore Trail and went 1/4 of the way around the lake. Would have liked to try the full loop but I realized I lost my glasses and had to turn back. The 2ish miles in were pretty easy and it was so beautiful looking out over the lake. I could see that on a spring/summer day it can be busy with a lot of people and mountain bikers but on this fall day, it was very nice. Saw a few other hikers and a few bikers. Would definitely do it again and will try to full loop.

Allen Ortillo

11 Completed4 Reviews

Highly recommend this trail. Easy to moderate and awesome views but unfortunately this time of the year no waterfall coz of the drought. Hopefully in the next time there will be one

Allen Ortillo

11 Completed4 Reviews

It's pretty but unfortunately the waterfall is dried coz of the drought. I highly recommend this trail

Dave Dannenbrink

3 Completed3 Reviews

Very nice 9-mile loop around the lake. Start at the Bumpy Meadows lot ($5) or park on the road for free. Did it in ~3 hours with my dog on a good pace, 4.5hrs on a much more leisurely pace with my wife. Did see one Osprey and two Bald Eagles on one trip circle directly overhead, very awesome.

T Smith

128 Completed49 Reviews

We did this ten miles in early evening, it's a great easy track to jog, walk, hike for all ages. We did the whole trail around the lake but you can pick and choose parts. I'm listing it as walk instead of hike because it's around campground, not much climbing, although you're in the trees, you don't feel you're completely out in wilderness, unless of course you're from the city. Beautiful walk to have the lake in view for majority of walk. Nice little waterfall, don't miss it, it is just off the trail a bit.

Corky Oakes

1 Completed1 Reviews

Went up last Saturday, April 4th and ran into fences and more fences...started near boat ramp (about 1/4 mi south)....other hikers told us that it really wasn't possible to get around the lake because of the fences. California Dept of Public Health posted a notice about limiting "human contact" but it only applied to the area of the lake abuting Mormon Emmigrant Trail highway. We finally bailed. Later we drove up MET and saw that the Bumpy Meadows trailhead had lots of hikers/bikers around. Guess that's a good alternative.