Steep Ravine Trails

HARD
#1 of 9 trails in Mt Tamaipais State Park
l>
Steep Ravine Trails is a 2.2 mile point-to-point trail located near Stinson Beach, CA that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

2.2 miles 29 feet Point to Point
hiking walking forest views
Hide Map

Start from Stinson beach and take the Steep Ravine Trail up to Pantoll

Mark Brown

1 Completed1 Reviews

Gorgeous trail, and almost completely empty when I did it (Monday in November). I didn't do the Matt Davis portion; just did out-and-back over the Dipsea and Steep Ravine to Pan Toll ranger station with a quick break for a snack there before heading back the same way.

It's a nice workout. I'm normally around ~15 minutes / mile on level ground. I averaged 17-23 minutes a mile here... half because it's fairly steep at points (shocking, given the name) and half because there's a lot of nature eye candy to look at.

I'll definitely add Matt Davis next time. I can do steep ascents all day long, but I was practicing with a ~30lb pack and didn't bring poles with me. Knees were definitely a little pissed off with me at the end and over the next day.

Rahul Ram

2 Completed2 Reviews

One of the best beginner friendly hikes. I love this trail.

Diane Philips

27 Completed8 Reviews

Charlie Lawrence

7 Completed2 Reviews

On a sunny day this is one of the best Nike in the Bay Area. Coast, Redwoods, big elevation gain and great views. Well maintained and marked...take Matt Davis back to beach.

Andy Kotenko

1 Completed1 Reviews

loved it, if you want a hard, heart pumping, sweating trail this one is for you. At the end of the trail there is the ocean so you can chill there if you want ☺

Ed Callaert

2 Completed1 Reviews

Not ONE of the above images are actually from Steep Ravine.

Rosa Guerra

1 Completed1 Reviews

First time here and although we only hiked for a little over an hour we loved it!! It's on our list to go back.

Brian Dow

24 Completed9 Reviews

A quick escape from the hustle and bustle...you completely forget about the everything else while not going too far out of your way.

Kyle Pennell

39 Completed24 Reviews

Steep Ravine trail is one of the lushest prettiest trails out there and it is literally 45 minutes from the city.

I wish it took longer but for the short time you are on it you can forget about civilization. There is one part is particular where you can sit down in a patch of thick redwoods and just watch a babbling brook. It is one of the most zen spots I know of and it's so close to home.

I highly recommend this trial.

Isabella Ventura