Three Sisters Waterfalls Trail

Descanso, CA
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Three Sisters Waterfalls Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Julian, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing & walking and is accessible from November until June.

Once you get on the Boulder Creek Truck Trail drive until you reach a tight hairpin turn. You are gong to see a small wooden structure next to a gate with the usual trail information. Although it does not mention 3 Sisters, this structure is Located right on the trail head. DO NOT TAKE THE TRAIL FARTHER TO THE RIGHT. That goes on for about 6 miles until you reach Cedar Creek Falls.

19 Completed 3 Reviews

My GF and I did this a few months ago and it was a lot of fun. We weren't paying enough attention to the trail amidst our conversation (a problem we have a lot) and ended up going straight where the trail turns left down the hill and found some AMAZING cliffs on top of the ridge above the waterfall that were all bolted and ready to be climbed! Probably one of our better mistakes, haha! Beautiful views of the valley and not a sign of civilization anywhere, very peaceful. After that we hiked back up the hill and went the correct way to the falls , which were awesome! Check it out, but bring a god amount of water, we went in October and it was still smoldering.

4 Completed 3 Reviews

Loved this trail :) has all the possible terrains that a hike can have in a small stretch of 2 miles. Dip in the natural pool under that last sister is an absolute bliss :D

8 Completed 9 Reviews

LOOKING FOR DIFFICULT??? You've found it! This was challenging on so many different levels.
** First I want to say that if you are going to do this hike you should take someone that has already done it. My friend and I went straight on the trail when there is a fork (where we should have gone left) ** knowing the destination was 2 miles out caused us to tack on an extra 4 miles to the originally quoted 4 miles totaling 8. OUCH! Ditto to all the other comments - "This has been my hardest hike."

The waterfalls are surprisingly still flowing after very minimal rains and that made the trip worth it. We jumped into the REALLY cold water so we could hike back and stay cool... like I mentioned - we were hiking back up at the hottest part of day (about 90%, no shade, and we forgot to apply the sunscreen.) Make sure you don't make the same mistake. Gloves would be nice but aren't mandatory, you will be using 4 different ropes located in varying areas to get to the very top waterfall. If you are having a hard time following the trail you can just follow the paths nearest the water and you will make it to the falls.

*** Make sure to NOT litter, the trail had peoples clothes, water bottles, wrappers and so on left around... Let's keep this trail clean. ***

RECAP: Don't go the wrong way, plan your time of day carefully (coming up and out mid day is NO JOKE), Lots and Lots of water, Get in the water no matter how cold just because you can! ) ENJOY!

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Extremely difficult especially if it is your FIRST hike ever! I would love to do this hike again after I build my endurance. I only recommend this to those have been hiking for a while. It is for those who have about 6 or 7 hikes under their belt.

5 Completed 1 Reviews

Loved this hike! I will definitely do this again! We started at 7:30 am and by the time we left waterfall you could see a line of people coming down the hill! A must if you like hiking!

11 Completed 11 Reviews

Overall a great hike ! Road is pretty rough out there .Once u past the three sisters fall sign you make a left down to the falls (the falls are visible).this hike compares to none of the ones I've done (cowels,potato chip,iron mountain,mount miguel!) take plenty of water,snacks and gloves to help you out it's pretty strenuous in some parts of the hike . Today I Witnessed a girl fall down from the falls and break her ankle so be careful it's slippery!!! Oh and DON'T take your dog ,better to be safe than sorry

Mihir J

6 Completed 6 Reviews

Trailhead Coordinates: 32.9846N 116.6772W

*** This is a bucket list hike. The most memorable hike yet. We started little late (9am) and taking our time
finished around 330pm.
*** This hike is moderately strenuous.
*** Please heed the warnings and carry about 1.5 gallons water per person minimum.
*** Gatorade or some other electrolyte drink is a must if you are hiking in the sun. Muscle cramps are a
possibility.
*** You will have to rappel about 10ft or if you are confident on your rock climbing skills you can opt for that

This is a real out in the wilderness type of trail with uneven, slippery path. It's very easy to get sprains/injuries if you are not careful. Especially on the way back when you are tired.

Special words of appreciation go out to "Ross", CDF EMT. He was going up and down the hardest part of the trail, looking for people in trouble. On our way back, halfway thru the steepest part he ran into us and while exchanging pleasantries, he looked at our friend and asked is if we had gatorade. When we said no, he gave us some of his Gatorade powder to mix with our water. One sip and this girl was up and running ;-). Thank You Ross!

Now that warm weather is upon us, it is very important to be prepared when we go hiking. Specially this trail, it can get you if you are not careful.

9 Completed 3 Reviews

Great hike! Make sure to add a good amount of time for your drive to the trailhead, the windy dirt road slowed us down a lot. There was a good amount of water at the falls due to the recent rains last weekend. Bring a grocery bag along with you to grab trash on the trail thats been tossed by the douche bag hikers that don't care about anyone else wanting to enjoy nature. My bag was full by the time I made it back to my car (mostly plastic bottles).

3 Completed 1 Reviews

Amazing hike had a blast was pretty tough towards the end but the water falls are worth it freezing water tho but over all an amazing place.

11 Completed 11 Reviews

Wow! What a hike. Did it last weekend with my son. It was the most difficult hike I have done around here. If you go in ( like I saw) with a 12oz water bottle....don't. At 55 years old I did feel good passing people on the way out gasping for air half my age +.
I will be back for sure. Five star hike!

Support