Towsley Canyon

#1 of 2 trails in Towsley Canyon Park
Towsley Canyon is a 5.5 mile loop trail located near Newhall, California. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, trail running & walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

5.99 miles Loop 700 feet
Dog Friendly
hiking mountain biking trail running dogs leash
Hide Map

Mario Rivas

6 Completed6 Reviews

Vero Canizales

2 Completed2 Reviews

Sarah Wheeler

2 Completed1 Reviews

Grew up hiking here and it's just as fun as I remember!

Ang P.

Rick Baran

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is the best trail in SCV. Very challenging getting to the top, especially if you are trail running. If you are running when it's hot out or summer time, watch out for rattle snakes.

Ben Haering

1 Completed1 Reviews

Good, well laid-out trail. Easier to go counter-clockwise. Some parts smell.

Caleb Jones

5 Completed5 Reviews

You feel like you really achieved something When you complete this 5+mile hike. Moderate for sure and Not for beginners...good hard climb and steep descent...wear your hiking shoes and bring water and allow 2 hours for sure if you want to enjoy the view.

Scott Miller

26 Completed23 Reviews

My college age kids and I decided to take the track clockwise so we could soak up the scenic views and canyon on the way down. The hike up required a few stops along the way to catch breath and we missed not having water. Fortunately it was a clear, temperate New Years Eve Day and there was sufficient shade. We also found a beautiful oak in a small meadow near the top - great for climbing and action poses. The descent was beautiful, especially the small canyon with its unique rock formations and dry creek bed. A great hike for the region and a geologist's delight!

Jc Hidalgo

5 Completed5 Reviews

one of the best trails in the area.
first miles are almost XC stuff.... but after the little creek... oh helll yea hold your balls, pull the handlebar and make sure you dont get off the bike!
steep steep steep :)
NOT for newbies and even not for out-of-shape riders.... great downhill.... BUT be careful with the hikers..... narrow trails... and some spots smell like crap! and dknt get that black oily stuff on your shoes/tires...
MUD: boy, i brought a Kenda Nevegal 2.1 and an Ardent on the front.... it was muddy..... that sticky mud from there, gets so sticky and accumulates easy in the gap between the tire and the frame making it impossible to climb.... maybe it was my tires... maybe not...
overall, a 6 stars out of 5.... :)

Becca Wachter

6 Completed5 Reviews

Ok, the trail itself probably deserves a higher rating, but my experience was awful. Mostly my own fault. I felt like hiking at 2pm on a 90 degree day and decided to check out Towsley. Huge mistake. Not a lot of shade. Also I have a knee problem and pretty much the entire hike is an incline so I had to stop after like an hour. It was a pretty area but too tough on my knees for me.