Towsley Canyon

MODERATE
#1 of 3 trails in Towsley Canyon Park
true
Towsley Canyon is a 6 mile loop trail located near Newhall, CA and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash hiking mountain biking trail running walking
Hide Map

samantha demarest

1 Completed0 Reviews

Went in the wrong way but very fun

Gregg Remedes

2 Completed0 Reviews

First time here, we were not familiar with the complete trail. we took a shorter modified version. good hike steep terrain, great version for someone getting into or getting back into hiking. leaving the parking lot we stayed on the road to the right till we got to the beginning of the park, entered onto the trail south, crossed over the mountain till we came to the "T" on the trail and we then made a left and followed it back to the parking lot. good hike, not a lot of shade, suggest going in the morning. not knowing we went in the afternoon approx. 11:30 am, luckily we had hats and enough water for the duration of our hike.

Odog Arist

3 Completed0 Reviews

nice loop. but come early. nice challenge

Gesselle Carradero

Anne Schlotman

15 Completed9 Reviews

HikingGirl J

53 Completed16 Reviews

Review from the hike I did in spring - http://hikinggirlwithdog.com/2015/04/23/towsley-view-loop/
Review from the hike I did in winter - http://hikinggirlwithdog.com/2015/11/27/towsley-canyon/

Mario Rivas

13 Completed8 Reviews

Vero Canizales

2 Completed2 Reviews

Sarah Wheeler

3 Completed1 Reviews

Grew up hiking here and it's just as fun as I remember!

Ang P.

Rick Baran

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is the best trail in SCV. Very challenging getting to the top, especially if you are trail running. If you are running when it's hot out or summer time, watch out for rattle snakes.

Ben Haering

1 Completed1 Reviews

Good, well laid-out trail. Easier to go counter-clockwise. Some parts smell.

Caleb Jones

5 Completed5 Reviews

You feel like you really achieved something When you complete this 5+mile hike. Moderate for sure and Not for beginners...good hard climb and steep descent...wear your hiking shoes and bring water and allow 2 hours for sure if you want to enjoy the view.

Scott Miller

23 Completed23 Reviews

My college age kids and I decided to take the track clockwise so we could soak up the scenic views and canyon on the way down. The hike up required a few stops along the way to catch breath and we missed not having water. Fortunately it was a clear, temperate New Years Eve Day and there was sufficient shade. We also found a beautiful oak in a small meadow near the top - great for climbing and action poses. The descent was beautiful, especially the small canyon with its unique rock formations and dry creek bed. A great hike for the region and a geologist's delight!

Jc Hidalgo

5 Completed5 Reviews

A+++++++++++
one of the best trails in the area.
first miles are almost XC stuff.... but after the little creek... oh helll yea hold your balls, pull the handlebar and make sure you dont get off the bike!
steep steep steep :)
NOT for newbies and even not for out-of-shape riders.... great downhill.... BUT be careful with the hikers..... narrow trails... and some spots smell like crap! and dknt get that black oily stuff on your shoes/tires...
MUD: boy, i brought a Kenda Nevegal 2.1 and an Ardent on the front.... it was muddy..... that sticky mud from there, gets so sticky and accumulates easy in the gap between the tire and the frame making it impossible to climb.... maybe it was my tires... maybe not...
overall, a 6 stars out of 5.... :)

Becca Wachter

6 Completed5 Reviews

Ok, the trail itself probably deserves a higher rating, but my experience was awful. Mostly my own fault. I felt like hiking at 2pm on a 90 degree day and decided to check out Towsley. Huge mistake. Not a lot of shade. Also I have a knee problem and pretty much the entire hike is an incline so I had to stop after like an hour. It was a pretty area but too tough on my knees for me.

Mark Austin

10 Completed10 Reviews

Not sure where they got the 5.5 mile estimate... the trail head says 5.1 and regardless, you'd have to be walking really fast, more like jogging, to get that done in an hour. I think they may need to re-evaluate how they estimate time. That being said this is a great trail. Just did it last weekend with my wife and we had a great time. Awesome views of the SCV with a good mixture of sun and shade. I will be back soon

Jason Cauwels

10 Completed2 Reviews

A really fun trail. We went clockwise on the 5.5 mile (it's only 6+ [mentioned in other placed] if you do the additional 1.9 loop) which proved to be helpful as the terrain gets a little steep and when muddy (like we had) it proved to be helpful doing this first. A nice fun hike with great views of canyons, ravines and the Santa Clarita Valley. This is my favorite trail thus far in the area.