Towsley Canyon

#1 of 2 trails in Towsley Canyon Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Towsley Canyon is a 5.5 mile loop trail located near Newhall, California. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, trail running & walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Caleb Jones (153)

5 Completed5 Reviews

You feel like you really achieved something When you complete this 5+mile hike. Moderate for sure and Not for beginners...good hard climb and steep descent...wear your hiking shoes and bring water and allow 2 hours for sure if you want to enjoy the view.

Scott Miller (2015)

23 Completed23 Reviews

My college age kids and I decided to take the track clockwise so we could soak up the scenic views and canyon on the way down. The hike up required a few stops along the way to catch breath and we missed not having water. Fortunately it was a clear, temperate New Years Eve Day and there was sufficient shade. We also found a beautiful oak in a small meadow near the top - great for climbing and action poses. The descent was beautiful, especially the small canyon with its unique rock formations and dry creek bed. A great hike for the region and a geologist's delight!

Jc Hidalgo (278)

5 Completed5 Reviews

A+++++++++++ one of the best trails in the area. first miles are almost XC stuff.... but after the little creek... oh helll yea hold your balls, pull the handlebar and make sure you dont get off the bike! steep steep steep :) NOT for newbies and even not for out-of-shape riders.... great downhill.... BUT be careful with the hikers..... narrow trails... and some spots smell like crap! and dknt get that black oily stuff on your shoes/tires... MUD: boy, i brought a Kenda Nevegal 2.1 and an Ardent on the front.... it was muddy..... that sticky mud from there, gets so sticky and accumulates easy in the gap between the tire and the frame making it impossible to climb.... maybe it was my tires... maybe not... overall, a 6 stars out of 5.... :)

Becca Wachter (128)

6 Completed5 Reviews

Ok, the trail itself probably deserves a higher rating, but my experience was awful. Mostly my own fault. I felt like hiking at 2pm on a 90 degree day and decided to check out Towsley. Huge mistake. Not a lot of shade. Also I have a knee problem and pretty much the entire hike is an incline so I had to stop after like an hour. It was a pretty area but too tough on my knees for me.

Mark Austin (224)

10 Completed10 Reviews

Not sure where they got the 5.5 mile estimate... the trail head says 5.1 and regardless, you'd have to be walking really fast, more like jogging, to get that done in an hour. I think they may need to re-evaluate how they estimate time. That being said this is a great trail. Just did it last weekend with my wife and we had a great time. Awesome views of the SCV with a good mixture of sun and shade. I will be back soon

Jason Cauwels (394)

8 Completed2 Reviews

A really fun trail. We went clockwise on the 5.5 mile (it's only 6+ [mentioned in other placed] if you do the additional 1.9 loop) which proved to be helpful as the terrain gets a little steep and when muddy (like we had) it proved to be helpful doing this first. A nice fun hike with great views of canyons, ravines and the Santa Clarita Valley. This is my favorite trail thus far in the area.

Angie Massel (124)

3 Completed3 Reviews

One of my favorites in SoCal. We were there on a Sunday. Unlike trails in LA, there weren't too many folks around and parking isn't an issue. The bubbling tar pits are cool. It's best to go in early spring or fall/winter. There isn't much cover so you are in direct sunlight for much of the hike. Bring Water!

Robi Mukherjee (84)

1 Completed1 Reviews

it was a very fun hike lots of wilderness to.

Carlo M (105)