Towsley Canyon Loop Trail

#1 of 3 trails in Santa Clanta Woodlands Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Towsley Canyon Loop Trail is a 6.47 mile loop trail located near Newhall, California. The trail is primarily used for hiking & mountain biking and is accessible year round. This year (2012) there were many snakes on the trail during the summer months.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Sarah Scherff (386)

4 Completed2 Reviews

It was definitely really hot yesterday and there isn't a whole lot of shade. When you go be sure to bring a hat, towel, and sunscreen for protection.

The longer trail is more gradual and has a handful of switchbacks. It took us forever to get through it but I want to go back and reduce our time there. The long loop too has better scenery.

Roemay Jacob (89)

3 Completed1 Reviews

Carlos Chino (171)

3 Completed1 Reviews

arrived at 7:45am on a Sunday the front parking lot was full you can park inside (free) which is closer to the trailhead. Did the trail clockwise which is supposed to be more challenging. about 1 miles in before you start to climb their is a single track that goes left away from the main trail. we saw two people come down this trail we decided to try it. The first part is an aggressive incline then about a mile you get to a point where you have to climb rocks at an incline. at this point we backtracked to the main trail. this added about 2 miles to the overall hike. this is a good hike.

Diane Moore (84)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Really like this trail. Best in the spring. Nice workout.

Ang P. (84)

Aamina Arnoth (171)

4 Completed2 Reviews

nice hike, nice view from the top, but there was too much noise from 5 freeway for me for much of the hike.

Gesselle Carradero (275)

2 Completed1 Reviews

this was a great hike, challenging with a great summit pay off...

John Roelofs (133)

5 Completed4 Reviews

this loop is a bummer no matter which end you start on. I went to the right first in order to get the hardest part of the trail over with. for a good 3 miles or so I climbed hill after hill, steep slopes covered in loose dirt, one after the other. no shade, just craggy chaparral abound and a blazing sun beating down overhead. it was brutal and punishing and not a single vista to spur you on with its beauty, only views of sprawling suburbs and freeways. by the time I got to the forested and gently descending portion of the trail I was so ragged from the first stretch that I was hardly able to enjoy it. once you're down there's another couple of miles that I would call more of a path than a trail, with lady's pushing baby's in strollers and yuppies walking their labradoodles. if you start to the left instead, to get the lame part of the trail over with first, expect the last stretch to be as treacherous going down as it was punishing going up. those steep gravely slopes will have you sliding down on your butt for 3 miles. careful not to twist your knee or sprain your ankle. better yet, there are far more rewarding trails to be found in the southland, equally as challenging as this one with far more to offer.

Laura H. (365)

Amazing hike. Go early, its popular and parking fills up quickly. We chose to hike clockwise, so all the elevation gain was in the first third. I would recommend this way. Great views and then great entrance to the creek at the end. Was pretty epic. Got chilly in the shade early and there were a few tar pits bubbling about.

Em B. (156)