Twin Lakes Trail

#5 of 126 trails in Sequoia National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Twin Lakes Trail is a 14 mile out and back trail located near Sequoia National Park, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for camping & hiking and is accessible from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Daniel Cummings (121)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Really beautiful forests in the lower miles, nice meadows as you work your way up, and we even saw a couple bears on the way up and back down, fyi. It's a pretty hefty climb, so cut out as much weight from your pack as you can! Fishing was decent, plenty of catches, but it was all smaller 7-9 inch trout, so we didn't eat all that well;) Some fun, easy bouldering to be done on the chute leading up from the base of the larger lake. We went on a July weekend, and there were plenty of people up there, but there's enough space around the lake that you can easily find a spot of your own and feel some seclusion. We got a lot of rain, and after going to Jenny Lake to finish our trip, glancing at the storm movement, it really seems like the rain clouds like to gather right around the twin lakes in the afternoons. The weather seemed to pass us by at Jenny.

All in all, a great area to spend a weekend or more!

Lynda Chekay (3459)

97 Completed141 Reviews

I love this hike. There is a variety of terrain and views. Wonderful meadows and difficult switchbacks!
The forest is beautiful. The lake was serene until I saw a thundercloud accumulating atop the mountain. At which point I decided to head back. The rain chased me out the whole way. And I heard thunder.....
Made it out safe!! Have fun!

Lynda Chekay (3459)

97 Completed141 Reviews

I loved this hike for overnight backpacking....lots of bugs but the view is incredible. The hike is awesome and can be done as a day hike. Ive even seen bears on the lower portions of this trail. Beautiful forest.

Justin Anderson (781)

19 Completed18 Reviews

Overall an awesome Lake and trail all together. We backpacked it a few weeks back 4/10/13 and it was still frozen over with a 3-5 foot base of snow. We were fly fishing with BWO's and the fish were biting majorly on the one side where the ice had melted. Moderate but not demanding hike, and I will be visiting Twin Lakes again during summer months. Clover creek campground is 2 miles before Twin and allows fires, as does the lower campground before the river crossing. Smaller lake to the left also had great fishing.

Santos Garza (270)

3 Completed1 Reviews

This was my first overnighter. In fact, it was my first hike ever. Was supposed to head to Pear Lake but no fires were prohibited. We found out no fires allowed at Twin Lakes once we arrived. A difficult hike because we were moving briskly. I know, I have way more to see, but the lakes are well worth the effort. I will do it again in the future.

Support