Upper Yosemite Falls Trail

#6 of 173 trails in Yosemite National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Upper Yosemite Falls Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Yosemite National Park, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Adrian Villarroel (53)

10 Completed1 Reviews

Rachel Pearson (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My husband and I were just in Yosemite last week for our anniversary trip. On Saturday, we ran a 10K; Sunday morning, we made the 5.5 hour drive up to Yosemite from L.A.; Monday, we hiked up to Taft Point; and Tuesday, we did Upper Yosemite Falls. Our legs were pretty tired going into it, but we made it to the top in about 3 hours. The "trail" is nothing more than a cluster of big rocks in some places, so be ready to climb. Bring a LOT of water with you, and be sure to wear sunblock!!! I didn't wear any and I burned pretty bad on my neck/shoulder. This hike LOOKS daunting, but it's nothing you can't handle if you're in even reasonably good health. Take your time. You're not racing anyone. There are plenty of places to stop, but nowhere to sprawl out. My husband and I found shade under a bush and snacked on some grapes for a couple of minutes about 3/4 of the way up. Please remember to give the "right of way" to hikers who are coming down, as it is more difficult for them to stop and it can be difficult on the knees. It's a great excuse to take a quick rest if you're headed up, and it shows respect for your fellow hikers.
On the way back down, we scrambled down some rocks that looked like a scene straight out of LOTR. It was sketchy. We ended up at the bottom of Upper Yosemite Falls. That view is out of this world!! If you're adventurous (and careful!), do yourself the favor and GO! It's terrifyingly beautiful!!

brian simpkins (368)

13 Completed13 Reviews

one of my favorite hikes, about 7 miles total....started at the infamous camp 4 and worked my way up of a serious of switchbacks until i got to columbia rock then climbed a little higher then the trail got flat for a while until i started going down. when i started to go down i was like wow have to go down to go back up lol. once i got down to the point where u start going back up middle of the canyon where it is so exposed the views get better until u start going up the actual switchbacks in the canyon where u cant see the falls again until u get to the overlook at the top. started early was beautiful up there at the top and enjoyed this hike very much.

Molly Mcgowan (115)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Kylie Russell (523)

82 Completed10 Reviews

Awesome hike! Start early and take plenty of water, you will be working hard to get up it. Most reviews I found said it took 6-10 hours to hike. I was able to do the hike in 3.5 hours and hang out up top for about 30 minutes. So if you are a fairly good hiker you will still have time in your day to do other hikes.

David Onorato (49)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Josh Cheung (287)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Although the path zig zags to compensate for the steep elevation, it's still a steep and rocky climb so bring at least a few bottles of water. We went in August during dry season, where the falls dries up and you can walk close to the ledge and see some interesting pools. There are great wide views of the park at the peak so it was very rewarding. You'll notice your calves get more toned within a few days of this hike.

Utahtravels Wesley (2003)

61 Completed18 Reviews

Couldnt believe how slow of a climb this hike was woth over 60 switchbacks, but it ended more than worth it. my advice, leave at the very latest by 9 am to avoid direct sun light and have shady trails along the way. be sure to bring at least 3 liters of water and a lunch with snacks. a swimsuit is a good idea if you make it up by july, there will be gorgeous,perfect tempature pools you can swim in on the top. cant wait to come back and camp up here! for more info check out my ig account @ utahtravels

Vlad Paly (152)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Challenging hike. Bring plenty of water. That was my mistake. But luckily we crossed some small springs of drinkable water. The views are worth the climb

Lynee Berger (171)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Challenging but worth it! This is not a hike for the faint of heart! It seemed ridiculous to me that a 7 mile hike would take 5 hours, but altitude and a straight uphill climb will get the better of you! If you have ailing joints that tend to get sore, bring your braces! There aren't many places to stop and rest along the way, the final 1.5 miles has no shade or protection from the elements and bring lots of water as you will need it. My 3 Liter pack barely made it back down the mountain with water still in it! Bring filtration pills if you plan on filling up in the river up top! This is a very heavily traveled trail, but enough people stop along the way that if you are in great shape and looking for a good work out, they will scoot out of your way! The view of the falls halfway up is the best place to stop for photos, once you get up to the falls you can't see it nearly as well, but the views of Yosemite Valley are spectacular!

Support