Upper Yosemite Falls Trail

#6 of 173 trails in Yosemite National Park
Upper Yosemite Falls Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Yosemite National Park, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

5.83 miles Out & Back 2770 feet
birding camping hiking forest river rocky
Hide Map

Directions from Arch Rock Entrance: Follow Highway 140 into the Yosemite Valley. Six and a half miles from the entrance station the road splits. Take the right fork, which becomes Southside Drive, to the Yosemite Lodge parking area. The trail begins from the western side of the lot behind the lodge.

Mircea Strava

14 Completed2 Reviews

marichelle bustamante

2 Completed2 Reviews

This was my very first hike and I have no idea what i got into. Overall I have no regrets, this place is simply amazing and rewarding, I completed this hike for 8 hours round trip with no training.

Derrick Van

8 Completed9 Reviews

Very steep and steady up with a slippery down. Views are worth it.I'd recommend 2 liters of water for the average person in the late summer time. Great hike!

Derrick Van

8 Completed9 Reviews

Adrian Villarroel

12 Completed3 Reviews

Rachel Pearson

1 Completed1 Reviews

My husband and I were just in Yosemite last week for our anniversary trip. On Saturday, we ran a 10K; Sunday morning, we made the 5.5 hour drive up to Yosemite from L.A.; Monday, we hiked up to Taft Point; and Tuesday, we did Upper Yosemite Falls. Our legs were pretty tired going into it, but we made it to the top in about 3 hours. The "trail" is nothing more than a cluster of big rocks in some places, so be ready to climb. Bring a LOT of water with you, and be sure to wear sunblock!!! I didn't wear any and I burned pretty bad on my neck/shoulder. This hike LOOKS daunting, but it's nothing you can't handle if you're in even reasonably good health. Take your time. You're not racing anyone. There are plenty of places to stop, but nowhere to sprawl out. My husband and I found shade under a bush and snacked on some grapes for a couple of minutes about 3/4 of the way up. Please remember to give the "right of way" to hikers who are coming down, as it is more difficult for them to stop and it can be difficult on the knees. It's a great excuse to take a quick rest if you're headed up, and it shows respect for your fellow hikers.
On the way back down, we scrambled down some rocks that looked like a scene straight out of LOTR. It was sketchy. We ended up at the bottom of Upper Yosemite Falls. That view is out of this world!! If you're adventurous (and careful!), do yourself the favor and GO! It's terrifyingly beautiful!!

brian simpkins

13 Completed13 Reviews

one of my favorite hikes, about 7 miles total....started at the infamous camp 4 and worked my way up of a serious of switchbacks until i got to columbia rock then climbed a little higher then the trail got flat for a while until i started going down. when i started to go down i was like wow have to go down to go back up lol. once i got down to the point where u start going back up middle of the canyon where it is so exposed the views get better until u start going up the actual switchbacks in the canyon where u cant see the falls again until u get to the overlook at the top. started early was beautiful up there at the top and enjoyed this hike very much.

Molly Mcgowan

4 Completed4 Reviews

Kylie Russell

82 Completed10 Reviews

Awesome hike! Start early and take plenty of water, you will be working hard to get up it. Most reviews I found said it took 6-10 hours to hike. I was able to do the hike in 3.5 hours and hang out up top for about 30 minutes. So if you are a fairly good hiker you will still have time in your day to do other hikes.

David Onorato