Upper Yosemite Falls Trail

#6 of 173 trails in Yosemite National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Upper Yosemite Falls Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Yosemite National Park, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Bob Wharton (7945)

265 Completed265 Reviews

Terry M. (216)

Great views the whole way to the top. It was hot but there are shady areas to rest. A lot harder than I thought it would be. Coming down was tough on my old knees. Worth the trip though.

Steven Newcomb (183)

7 Completed8 Reviews

This is one of the scarier trails to tackle, since you're on the edge most of the way. Plus the last mile or so is vertical. Very difficult, but rewarding.

Vonda Peralez (275)

8 Completed4 Reviews

This hike was HARD. I thought I prepared for it but going 3.5 miles straight up takes a lot of training. It is literally straight up. I will say the views along the way and the top are all worth it. I was very tired once I got to the top so I didn't venture around much. I sat and had my lunch with a friendly squirrel. When I was still he would come up directly next to me and eat my Fritos out of the bag. I know it's not good for him but it was cute to watch. I eventually had to take them away from him before he developed high cholesterol. The hike down was probably more brutal on my knees and calves than the hike up. The rocks seemed very slippery on the way down. I highly recommend hiking poles for the descent. Take lots of water and enjoy!

Bernie L. (341)

This hike was amazing! The views were well worth the effort. I would recommend this for hikers that are in reasonable shape to meet the demands of the trail.

Billy Ashlock (71)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Hard but worth it love the views

Faustina Dela-Cruz (223)

7 Completed7 Reviews

The master of all stair masters! Fantastic views no mater where you are on the trail. We were almost to the top about 20 min away and i sprained my ankle, of course it would be me,lol. Stopped a few times on the rest of the way up,but being that close i was so not gonna turn around. Its a really good workout, your legs and knees so feel it but at the same time you feel great. We had lunch on a big rock with a close view of the waterfall and a bird that joined us. Totally great day hike just me & my hubby.

Michael Tanchek (953)

53 Completed32 Reviews

This duplicates the Yosemite Falls Trail (unless you add the lower trail for the whole trip.)

Josh Moore (448)

13 Completed12 Reviews

amazing hike...kinda difficult...tho i went with my 65 year old buddy...the waterfall was breath taking..

Scott S. (467)